Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know who makes longer fork tubes? Instead of using the fork extenders, as I have heard is not safe, Im looking to rake the front end out and I was curious if anyone sales longer fork tubes or where to purchase any longer fork tubes.

All ideas and comments would be appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
829 Posts
I am sure the idea that the fork extenders are not safe comes from some fact, but I thought I would provide some related feedback. I have the L&M 8 degree trees and 3" extenders and my bike took a tumble recently. It was not at a high speed (around 20mph if I am guessing), but it was enough that it flipped the bike from one side to the other while skidding. The trees and extenders did not budge, so I personally feel safe with these installed!

·
Registered
829 Posts
I am not trying to start the debate again or take over this thread. I just wanted to provide everyone some related information on the subject.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Does anyone know who makes longer fork tubes? Instead of using the fork extenders, as I have heard is not safe, Im looking to rake the front end out and I was curious if anyone sales longer fork tubes or where to purchase any longer fork tubes.

No one does already researched the shit out of this . Sorry dude you out of luck unless you come up with a creative way of having new trees made to fit 41 of 45mm forks.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I am not trying to start the debate again or take over this thread. I just wanted to provide everyone some related information on the subject.
Well like I said before glad your ok . Did you take the extenders off to see how the threads held up ?

·
Premium Member
13,706 Posts
Well like I said before glad your ok . Did you take the extenders off to see how the threads held up ?
i did some front end work last week and rechecked my extenders.they are perfect.got about 5000 on them now.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I just dropped off the bike today at the dealership. They are going to take a close look at everything for damage. I guess I unintentionally became the test dummy on these trees and extenders. I will let everyone know if they find any issues with the threads.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Adding longer fork tubes is not going to rake the bike out. All it will do is lift the front end. If you want to increase the rake on the bike you need to change the headtube angle (cut and reweld the frame) or change the angle of rake in the tripple trees (a-la VTX/L&M tree).

Have about 1500 miles on my trees and no problems.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts

There is!!!
I actualy had a link for it but deleted it out of my favorites tab. Start with google or call a local custom bike shop. You will find what you are looking for.
I just cant remember the name of the site.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
There is!!!
I actualy had a link for it but deleted it out of my favorites tab. Start with google or call a local custom bike shop. You will find what you are looking for.
I just cant remember the name of the site.
If your talking about Franks Forks I spoke to the owner and they don't make anything in 45mm .

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
Adding longer fork tubes is not going to rake the bike out. All it will do is lift the front end.
1. Adding fork extensions does change the rake as well as raising the front end

If you want to increase the rake on the bike you need to change the headtube angle (cut and reweld the frame)
2. Thats called the MFR-mod

VTX/L&M tree).
3. VTX-treme tree (sold) by L&M

Have about 1500 miles on my trees and no problems.
2500 miles on mine, head on into a curb about 15mph via cager last friday night on my MFR modded frame W/VTX-treme trees and 3" extenders and no problems. is that considered a good enough test 460?? anyone??

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
2500 miles on mine, head on into a curb about 15mph via cager last friday night on my MFR modded frame W/VTX-treme trees and 3" extenders and no problems. is that considered a good enough test 460?? anyone??[/QUOTE]

I would feel safer if the test was done at 30 MPR. Could you redo that for us MFR.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Extenders

I think the extenders should be fine, I have some old time riders who are trying to talk me out of the 3" extenders saying they will fail one day.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think this might be where some of the naysayers are getting the opinion of fork extensions - from the old practice of using "slugs."

Unsafe Tricks Performed By Some Custom Bike Builders - Tech Matters - Motorcycle Cruiser Magazine

Consider the infamous slug. Slugs were pieces of threaded pipe, typically 2, 4 or 6 inches long, that were used to increase the length of a fork tube with as little effort as possible. The concept was as simplistic as the execution. Essentially, the fork cap was removed, the slug inserted in its place, and just like that, you had an extended fork. You could then slide the tubes down in the triple clamp for that boss custom look.

The only hair in the soup was that while the lower portion of the steering stem had a firm grip on the fork tube, the top clamp had only a loose hold on the slug. This left the majority of the fork's length unsupported. When the inevitable fork-tube flex occurred, the threaded, unsupported joint between the slug and fork tube acted as a hinge. As you can imagine, the end result was both predictable and unpleasant. Once that fork snapped, and quite a few of them did, the rider was at the mercy of the fates. If he got lucky, he might ride it out or at least get to count the holes in the ambulance's roof liner on his way to the emergency room.
A properly machined and flanged tube extension should not give the flex that these pipes used to do with proper materials and tolerances.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
I think this might be where some of the naysayers are getting the opinion of fork extensions - from the old practice of using "slugs."

Unsafe Tricks Performed By Some Custom Bike Builders - Tech Matters - Motorcycle Cruiser Magazine

A properly machined and flanged tube extension should not give the flex that these pipes used to do with proper materials and tolerances.
I agree... Put this crap to rest... IF I stop writing one day, then you can start talking about these extensions, other than that... They are FINE...

·
Registered
2,153 Posts

Speaking from experience (I worked in a motorcycle shop in those days) the "slugs" referred to in the article were just like the "extenders" available today. They were fabbed from steel, typically chromed, and were machine-threaded on both ends; one end screwed into the top of the fork, just like the contemporary versions, and the other end was tapped to accommodate the fork-cap. They were available from several suppliers. We sold and installed dozens of them, in various lengths; they were a hot item. Everybody wanted their bikes to look like the ones in the movie "Easy Rider". I never saw any made from regular plumbing pipe but, doubtless, some back-yard, shade-tree guys did. I did see, on a couple of occasions, where guys would simply weld a couple of steel tubes to the tops of their forks; guess they were too cheap to have them properly threaded or to buy the commercial ones.

Now then, as I've related before in other threads on this subject, we stopped selling and installing them, following several bad accidents involving the front forks snapping-off, usually just after hitting a pothole or a rough railroad crossing. Since we'd installed a couple of the accident-involved units, we got really concerned about lawsuits. Fortunately, none transpired, but then, people weren't quite as sue-happy back then.

We DID start installing extended, one-piece fork-tubes, which became readily available not long after the slugs/extenders fell out of favor, and I never saw any of those break-off. However, some of the more extended units did put too much strain on the frame fork-heads, causing the welds to crack over time.

Anyway, the above is offered just FWIW..............

Cheers

·
Registered
22 Posts
'Adding longer fork tubes is not going to rake the bike out. All it will do is lift the front end. If you want to increase the rake on the bike you need to change the headtube angle (cut and reweld the frame) or change the angle of rake in the triple trees (a-la VTX/L&M tree).'

Jay Cee - Not sure how rake does not change if you extend the forks 3", rake is the angle measured from an imaginary 90 degree line. to the ground? Am I missing something? When I sketch it out, it lifts the front and extends the wheel forward increasing ground clearance and rake? Cutting the frame to change headtube angle will also increase rake but will further reduce ground clearance as the frame will drop down?

Rake pic - Jeri's Springer Front End - Rake and Trail Explained

1 - 20 of 20 Posts