Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found a good place to put an EZPASS (or any toll reading device)? I used to have one on the windscreen of my sportbike, but cant find a good place for one on the fury.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Has anyone found a good place to put an EZPASS (or any toll reading device)? I used to have one on the windscreen of my sportbike, but cant find a good place for one on the fury.
Can you hide it under the rear fender? Unless you ride in a lot of deep mud, there should be plenty of room.

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
Hmmm, was always curious about this myself as I was thinking of getting one, if you find a good place... make sure to post it!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you hide it under the rear fender? Unless you ride in a lot of deep mud, there should be plenty of room.
I don't think that the toll booth will be able to read the device under the fender. I've had it in the pocket of my leather jacket and it wouldn't read it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Attach it to the side of your helmet or but one of them little clear plastic things you put hunting licenses in and attach it to your shoulder. Helmet may sound funny at first, but it's a good idea if you think about it.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm trying to find a good spot on the bike for it. I want to minimize the stuff i've been carrying in my pockets.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Well Sticking it on the side of your helmet would keep it out of your pocket. Besides, you have removed all the badges and stickers off your bike, putting a ez-pass sticker on it kinda defeats the purpose of cleaning the bike up. It's up to you though where you want to place it. I just thought your helmet would be a good idea. You could just slowly ride through the booth and "whala", it will automaticly scan the ez-pass from your helmet.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I wear a half shell. There is no where to put it in the helmet. I'm trying to find a spot on the bike to conseal it, so I don't have to take it with me when I get off the bike. Our EZpass system up here uses a small square box that you attach to the inside of your windshield. It isn't a sticker. I've seen some handlebar mounted options, but they don't look very good.

·
Premium Member
13,738 Posts
velcro strap it to your speedo.remove it anytime you like.

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
velcro strap it to your speedo.remove it anytime you like.
He might be saying that people like to steal these things too? don't know, but velcro'ing it there sounds like a good idea if you aren't worried about theft.

·
Premium Member
1,992 Posts
I was thinking something similar to velcro. Get a handle bar mount that the sportbike guys use to mount radar detectors

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been looking around the net for a good holder. All I've found is the handle bar mount type. I am concerned about looks and people stealing it off the bike. I am trying to find a spot that is hidden for both reasons. My sportbike was easy because I had a colored windscreen on it. I just tucked the tag down low where no one could see it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Have spent some time thinking about this myself. We have a "Sunpass" which is also a little plastic module that you place on the inside of your windshield. Unfortunately, mine never seems to work if it isn't in direct line of sight with the overhead toll scanner (for instance, if it sits on my center console in my truck, it won't pick it up, I have to literally have it against my window to be read.)

So, with that said, it would have to be visible on the bike (atleast I would think) which doesn't make it look very clean. Anyone have a front fork pouch? Just curious if its in the fork pouch, does the scanner pick it up???

Chopped, let us know if you figure something out. In the meantime, when needed I put it in my pocket, and just hold in out in my hand when going thru the toll

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was hoping that someone developed a bracket that would span between the forks. Something that would be chrome to blend in a bit.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, so I just ordered another ezpass tag. They have a black tag that is meant for above the front license plate. I'm going to look at putting it under the headlight on the cross brace between the forks. It will be visible, but won't stand out. I might try painting it silver to blend in.

·
Registered
92 Posts
There are two variants of EZPass tags. One is passive and obtains the energy it needs to transmit by receiving a radio signal from the toll booth. The toll booth knows when to activate the radio when you drive over the treadle.

The second variant is active and is powered by a hearing aid style battery. As with the passive tag, you must drive over a treadle so that the toll booth knows to turn on the radio.

If a toll road is using passive tags, the treadles will be quite a distance from the toll booths since the passive tag needs time to soak up the energy from the radio waves before it can broadcast its signal to the toll booth.

Toll roads using active tags do not have the same problem since as soon as the tag receives the radio signal it can transmit since it has its own power source.

What does all this mean.

Most toll roads use passive tags and if they are not in a position where they can receive a strong radio signal, (under your fender or in the cab of your truck) the tag may not gather enough energy to respond in a timely manner to the toll booth.

When installing your tag, line of sight is not the issue, rather it is the reception of a strong radio signal. Obviously if the tag is installed for line of site, it is going to receive the strongest signal that it can.

If I was going to install a tag on my fury, I would install it on the bottom of the headlight and back between the brackets where it would be more out of sight but yet be able to receive the radio signal.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
I was at a Hooters bike night this past summer looking at all the bikes, on one I noticed a piece of Plexiglas under the head light between the forks. Why i noticed it was because it had an Iron Cross etched into it, the rider said it was for his ezpass, He bent the plexiglas to angle he needed by placing it in the Oven over a block of wood cut proper angle with a piece of wax paper in between once it was bent he pulled it out to let it cool, then cut to shape, etched it with a sand blaster and drilled the holes for mounting to head light bracket.

He also tried putting tag in a fork pouch and it did not work

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
awwww damn... had a good remark to counter somebody elses, but I hit the wrong button... btw, no... your device won't be powered up by the ezpass machine and won't automatically transmit because it's building up energy(fcc regulations bud, unless it powers by some kind of signal that the ezpass sends out to power it up, which then it turns on)... it will most likely be because it senses something "either by reading something that is sending off something because it has a built in battery or 2... it uses a camera of some kind and scans the whole vehicle for what it is looking for ... then cross references that to something so that you can't forge it... just thought that I'd put this little tidbit out because I had a post that went into depth this errrr.. stuuffff... then the wrong button deleted it ... :( Hope this makes sense... as it made more sense with my other post :/

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The plexiglass is a good idea. I'm going to try the license plate tag first. It sends a stronger signal.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I share my pass between 3 bikes and a car.

On the bikes I use a large binder clip. On the Fury I clip it to the top of my 'Biker's Friend' Luggage carrier, works fine. Without any luggage or carrier, I'd imagine that clipping it to the seat strap would work fine too..
When I leave the bike, I just unclip it and take it with me.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts