Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
JetBlu ready for 2011

So, JetBlu is finally complete, for now. I learned alot with this tear down, and hope to pass that info along to those out there who may need it. Just like any other project it had its ups and downs. Im sure im going to forget some things, but ill post them as i remember. This tear down and rebuild all started around Oct. last year, and was finally completed just this past week. I had some vendors come through the first time, and other who had to work a bit harder to get the job done. But now that it has all come together, just looking at her makes it all worth while. Im sure my first group ride tomorrow will just be the icing on the cake, with all the stares and compliments.

Suggestions

* when restarting the bike, make sure you have removed the tape that you had covering the intake.:p
* garenteed you will wait for parts. However long you think it will take for any part new or chrome ... DOUBLE IT! I started this tear down in Oct. and im just now finishing it up.
* get yourself a motorcycle jack, it will pay off in spades. Make sure you strap it to the jack, cause its a long way down baby.

Big Thanks

Clueless. Man, i cant tell you how may times i sent this gent a PM. Everything from fluids to tech ?s and he never once let me down. I am going to name my first born Clueless in his honor. Clueless, you are the man.

Sterling. Sterling's Cycle Accessories. This guy makes a kick ass seat. I have about 100 miles on the new seat in about 2 different trips, and no lower back pain nor the pain in my tail bone. This new Butt Crack by Danny Gray gets me lower in the bike, which i like. Makes turning easier IMHO. Sterling acutally sent me the seat pan so i could get the pan to sit perfectly on the bike. The issue at hand was when i did my TMod i took a lot out, and the OEM seat pan wouldnt sit right no matter what.

Stump. stumpwerx.com Yeah, hes a hard man to get a hold of. But if your persistant his work for the little guy pays off big time. The trim ring really sets off the bike. Yeah, its a small piece, but if you leave the plastic grey piece with everything else done it just wouldnt look finished IMO.

Chrome. Motorcycle chrome plating (OEM chrome wheels) services | ChromePlating.Com These guys were the cheapest around. Yeah, i know you get what you pay for, but ... and i say but .. i figured that we me sitting close to salt water and having runs around the shore, the salt will eat at chrome regardless who dips it. The finish right out of the box was fantastic and really sets off the bike. 24 parts ended up costing me under $800. I had 2 other quotes ... 1 @ $1,200 and another @ just over $1,600. Which would you have choose?

L&M. The quality of the parts is 2nd to none. Even with all the hick-ups with cusotmer service Chris did end up coming thru in the end. I will happily pass along his information to other Fury owners.

Lou. His pinstripes on top of the new clear coat is just the eye candy i was looking for. I wanted something to break up the blue, but not take away. Lou hit it out of the park. If your on the Island and need some nice stripes .. 516.223.2651

Must have tools

* snap ring pliers.
* dead blow hammer - Lowes $12
* metric tap & die set - Lowes $22
* blue & red Loctite

And now, ladies and gentlemen...

From this

to this

more pics in my new album here

http://www.furyforums.com/forum/members/2009-cbsimonsez-albums485-jetblu-take-2.html

·
Super Moderator
4,476 Posts
Damm, what at a nice job! That thing is gonna turn some heads this season. Very Nice!

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Looks like blue is going to be well represented there. What did you do on the cylinder heads?
The heads were shot with a high temp blue. I ended up going with a light blue that matches the stripes. From there i hit the fins with my Dremel and the drum sanding bit. The bottom of the block was shot with a high temp flat black. I couldnt stand looking at the factory silver.

** This reminds me. The Dremel is a God send. I have used this tool so much, even with this build that i think i have worn it out. The variable speed cant be beat.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
garenteed you will wait for parts. However long you think it will take for any part new or chrome ... DOUBLE IT! I started this tear down in Oct. and im just now finishing it up.
* get yourself a motorcycle jack, it will pay off in spades. Make sure you strap it to the jack, cause its a long way down baby.

This could not be more true!

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i told yall that i would remember things that i didnt post in the first post.

Front axle, when installed the right side ( or if your facing he engine, the left side ) it may look like there is a gap between the spacer and the fork tube. Almost as if the tube needs to move in about a 1/4 of an inch. IT DOESNT. The axle itself actually is thicker on that end and the spacer does sit againt it and the wheel bearing. There is no gap that would give you slop for the front wheel to move around.

And if you have a Garmin GPS unit, there are several Ebay sellers that will allow you to hard wire the unit into the bike. My wire hides in the tool bag. All i have to do is install the clamp, which is made for our 1.5 inch handle bars.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Fury looks SWEEET! Not thrilled w/ turning lights though. How did you paint side covers? Alot of prep needed to paint chrome?

·
Registered
835 Posts
WOW! Very nicely done!
Waiting for parts is always trying, but so worth it in the end. Your bike is a work of art! If you think waiting for bike parts is something try rebuilding a rifle! (Remington 264!) My laminated stock is out 6 to 8 weeks! :mad:

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ernie, you, me and Larry need to plan a ride, at least into the city again. That was fun tearing it up with Mike last year. Maybe do a run to Bear Mtn. and meet up with Billy?

The battery covers were painted by a paint shop up the street. I dont know all the prep that went into painting them, but the back shows the tan primer used. From what the painted told me it took 23 coats of paint. Apparently the blue is a candy blue, which makes the blue a 3 stage paint. I didnt believe it until i saw the cans myself. You dont want to know what i paid to have all the pieces painted, trust me.

The turn signals, i like them cause of the bigger surface area. And with 15 or so LEDs in them, the light up nice and bright AND i have yet to see another set on a Fury.

Thanks for all the kind words. Even though the ride today was damp and cold, it felt good to get back in the saddle so to speak. Speaking of the seat, its firm, but not uncomfortable. It does get you lower in the bike and fits me like a glove. Recommended!

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
WOW! Very nicely done!
Waiting for parts is always trying, but so worth it in the end. Your bike is a work of art! If you think waiting for bike parts is something try rebuilding a rifle! (Remington 264!) My laminated stock is out 6 to 8 weeks! :mad:
something about a red headed biker chic whos into guns ..... truely FANTASTIC.:D

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
Wow, just got done checking your album. The lower forks (appears chromed?) and painted hub look fantastic. Did you polish the torque are also? Good job on the brake calipers also.:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
I think you should come down to my house and stay a week or so and work on my bike! I'll supply the drinks and the tools. Maybe you could do just half as much to mine and it would look 10 times better! Great job and worth the wait.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think you should come down to my house and stay a week or so and work on my bike! I'll supply the drinks and the tools. Maybe you could do just half as much to mine and it would look 10 times better! Great job and worth the wait.
Awww, come on. Your pulling my chain, right? I mean, you have to tear down a bike to paint it, right? With the Honda Manual anything can be done.

If those who want to ... if you take your time, have the manual there is nothing you cant do. It also helps to have an attitude that if you do mess something up, you can try agian. And if not, then you can always pay some one else to fix it for you.:D

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i also wanted to post ( as it has been asked a couple times ) that i switched out the plugs for a hotte set. The OEM plugs were looking a little rich ( my Fi2000 is set to 2-2-2 ) so i ordered a set of NGK DCPR7E which according to the manual should be a hotter plug. The plugs were ordered on Ebay as i couldnt find a local supplier.

I also changed the oil and filter. Oil i switched to Mobil1 10W40 for motorcycles. I have used Mobil1 in all my vehicles for the better part of 20 years now and havent had any problems with it. I also changed my filter to the K&N 240. The oil change really wasnt that big of a deal. Just remember you need to replace the crush washers and there are 2 oil drains on the bike.

With the new cables and the changes listed above, i have noticed a better ( almost too good ) throttle repsonse in the bike now. I didnt have to down shift as much to get up and go. And in the sweet spot in each gear, you better hold on cause she will get up and go.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts