Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Chain Drive conversion kits

hey guys does anyone know any info on the VTX 1300 chain drive conversion
I heard there is kits out there for belt or chain drive, I was thinking a 250 fat tire with a chain drive. I would go chain drive for that mechanical look, and the amount of ratios that could be used.

I'm going to be doing more research into this, I know I seen it done before,
Sumo-X owner i think built a vtx1800 with a chain drive.

·
Registered
497 Posts
hey guys does anyone know any info on the VTX 1300 chain drive conversion
I heard there is kits out there for belt or chain drive, I was thinking a 250 fat tire with a chain drive. I would go chain drive for that mechanical look, and the amount of ratios that could be used.

I'm going to be doing more research into this, I know I seen it done before,
Sumo-X owner i think built a vtx1800 with a chain drive.
I don't see the reason to go chain drive if doing just a 250. If you did that you'll need a one-off swingarm and a one-off wheel. You're going to end up spending about $4-5k on top of what a Sumo-X kit costs. Now if your going 300 or 330, that's another story. Talk to [email protected] he's been there done that. After talking to him you might change your mind.

BTW, that company which used to make those chain conversions for 1800's stopped making them. For what it's worth they used to run about $2k.

·
Premium Member
13,706 Posts
i waited to many years of replacing chains and pullys to go back to chains or belts.brea either and se what it cost.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Chris your funny, but thanks, i get on here in the early AM after i get off work, and after working 14 hrs, im kinda tired, BUt that bike is killer looking,

to no_fury. Chain drive opens a whole world to tuning, yes adjusting chains and cleaning and lubing take time. But the wide range of ratios you can choose from with in diffrent size sprockets, lets you dial-in the bike that much more. also shaft as you have found out, when you hit the gas the rear lifts up. with a chain or belt drive, you hit it and it sinks down in the rear witch to me is a normal feeling. plus yes 250 fits on a shaft drive, with a sumo-x kit, But how about running a sprocket brake setup, and cleaning up the leftside of the bike, by not having a brake rotor hanging there.
the sprocket brake really is a brake rotor with teeth. My thing is to make it diffrent is to go do something most poeple wouldnt try to do, I have this visios of a new high tech EFI injected water cooled bike, with some oldschool looks.

O also on the wheel, I do think I can make a H-D wheel work with HD sprocket brake setup, the swing-arm yes on off, Built by my buddy the Fab Guy, he makes some killer stuff for hot-rods, and old school choppers. I would go with the same lines as the fury swinger, and same shock mounting. but change the axle shaft size to an HD and go from there. I could end up about the same as a SUmo-x kit or a little more with the sprocket brake setup. but think of it as this, it would be killer looking when its all done. My first step is to dig into how to make a drive sprocket setup work, thats the info im really looking for.. Once i figure it out, it will be months of planing and collecting what i would need to make it work.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I figured I'd bring this from the dead Screenshot_2014-09-30-12-19-11.jpg
I like to know how things are done. The shaft coming out of the engine in the pic seems to have the sprocket directly on it. I know stock its rotated rearward. I wonder what the engine shaft part looks like after the tranfer box thing is removed. I've never pulled mine off but have looked at it a lot. This has to be easier than doing a shaft jack shaft setup. I'm wanting a fully custom swing arm but not sure if its worth the work and time I'd put in it. Any pictures or info would help. Thanks

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Here let me GOOGLE that for ya

Urban Dictionary: afaik

lol it was just to good to pass up :)
Lol. Thats funny. I think he is talking about a front sprocket but there's not a 1300 chain drive honda to get a sprocket from so I'd have to have one made. Or an adaptor made. Then oil lines would have to be routed around the stock shaft box

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
And all of this is "what if" conversation. Not sure if it worth the work to go with a 300 tire or bigger. I know the swingarm would need some stretch to still layout with the fatter tire

·
Registered
2,311 Posts

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Okay, back to the topic.
The cross shaft (as Honda calls the gear assembly just before the drive shaft) seems to be a sealed housing. Not to be taken apart. Pressure lubricated from the oil pump it requires no service or adjustments. At a 1000 bucks a piece you have to get real serious to get a shaft to fit a sprocket upon.
2010 Honda VT1300CX A PEDAL | Cheap Cycle Parts

But, how much is an extra inch worth :confused::D

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts