Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Cobra swepts and Fi2000r just came in and was looking for a consensus.

1. Did you leave it set how it was or did you change it to any other settings?

2. Also if you have a different intake, did you do any further adjustments?

3. When you mounted it inside your chrome cover, did you do any water proofing? Doesn't look to water tight to me!

Reason i'm asking these questions is the box says it's "tuned to a specific brand" and "is already preset with optimal settings." Although the instructions say "start with" the default setting of 1 2 0 . Mine is already set to .5 1.3 0. Does that mean mine is already set to the optimum setting after starting with the defualt?

Thanks for any input guys, just being cautious!!

·
Registered
500 Posts
My Cobra swepts and Fi2000r just came in and was looking for a consensus.

1. Did you leave it set how it was or did you change it to any other settings?

2. Also if you have a different intake, did you do any further adjustments?

3. When you mounted it inside your chrome cover, did you do any water proofing? Doesn't look to water tight to me!

Reason i'm asking these questions is the box says it's "tuned to a specific brand" and "is already preset with optimal settings." Although the instructions say "start with" the default setting of 1 2 0 . Mine is already set to .5 1.3 0. Does that mean mine is already set to the optimum setting after starting with the defualt?

Thanks for any input guys, just being cautious!!
I had had the swept pipes mounted for about 3 weeks by the time the fi2000r was actually released; the bike definitely didn't run as well with the pipes until I added the fuel controller. When I got the controller, I had a dealer install it. It's a very simple install, but I was concerned about warranty issues (if you read the customer reviews on honda service under warranty on the directline parts page Honda is apparently pretty crappy on servicing under warranty - everything's a "wear" item or somehow not their fault).

But anyway, I had a dealer install it; no adjustments were made, just hookup and button everything up and go. The bike ran noticeably better; I was happy; had no occasion to check the pots until I added the S&S aircleaner a few days ago (which made the bike run choppier again, not as smooth thru the whole powerband), and guess what - the actual "default" settings - the way it came from the factory - were 0-0-0 !! lol.

So I'm trying to figure out why is the bike running better with triple-0 default setting; I talked with tech-support-for-fi2000r at cobra a couple times; he says yah when he fooled around with his own bike and the fi2000r that even setting the pots down to zero for some reason still inputs the mixture. But it seems Cobra should check the damn units before shipping them out; if they say they come "preset for certain bikes/pipe combo's" they oughtta 'effin make sure they are.

I was on the road for a week (trucker; damn job) so I only last night got a chance to try adjusting the pots for the pipes-AND-S&S air cleaner combo - since the unit came at 0-0-0 I tried a very conservative adjustment up to where the unit was SUPPOSED to have been to begin with, 1-2-0. Still didn't seem as smooth as it was with the pipes only and the original 0-0-0 setting, but I only had time to put about 10 miles on it; so need to try today after work (or tomorrow, depending on what run I get) - but am pretty sure I'll kick it up to 2-3-1 and see how it feels.

Overall, my impression so far is that the Fi2000r is a kind of - sloppy? - sort of fuel adjuster. I may change my mind about this when I've had a few hundred miles to mess around with it, but so far there just doesn't seem to be anything very hard-and-fast about it, either in how it adjusts fuel or more importantly how you can MEASURE it when you're trying to get it set. It looks to be that AT BEST, it's gonna be a hit-and-miss procedure till you finally (hopefully) hit that just-right pot combo and the engine purrs along throughout the power band.

Also, FYI, the fi2000 tech at cobra told me he NEVER goes over 5 on any pot; so it'd seem that 5 is a "maxxed" pot setting; I doubt yours was set there intentionally (although this is just a best-guess on my part) - seems more like less-than-impressive production/packing/shipping or something on cobra's part.

I'm thinkin' that, with luck, you can adjust the fi2000r and finally get a really good setting for your pipe/intake combo and the bike will run great -that's what I'm shooting for anyway. BUT - if worse comes to worse and I'm just not happy with the settings after awhile, I may just eat the price of the 2000 and wait till S&S does their own dyno on the fury/swept pipes/S&S aircleaner/powercommander V combination and puts a downloadable map on their website, which they say they're going to do, then swap out the 2000 for the pc5, download their map and be done with it.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
The fuel controller from Fuggin Fab is coming programmed for pipes and an intake. They dialed it in when Predators bike was on the dyno.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stonewheel,
what did you think about the watertightness of the unit? The instructions say to install it pot end up, but that just doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I know i'm mounting mine upside down if the wiring permits, but overall i think it should've been built differently to be more protected from the elements!

Pipes going on as i speak.................!:D:D

·
Registered
358 Posts
I bought a fi200 for my roadstar and found out it is worthless, everyone tells me they are pointless and that you can adjust a hundred ways and still not right, only really works above 3000 rpms, I ditched mine and put on a power commander. I bought the cobra swepts and I plan to run it without a controller, if it back fires, I see if I can remove the AIS if there is one. Bottom line after wasting $289.00 on the fi2000, will never get my money again.

·
Registered
108 Posts
My cobra swepts and fi2000r will be delivered today...I'm hoping the install is simple for both.....I'm curious to see the settings on the fi2000r also...I ordered them from Direct Line Parts...the fury site...so it should be programmed for the fury. (says it will be on site)
I just hope both items come with easy to understand instructions or is there a video I could watch? Anyone have an tips on install for these items?
Thanks...mark
Silver Matte Metallic #626

·
Registered
500 Posts
Stonewheel,
what did you think about the watertightness of the unit? The instructions say to install it pot end up, but that just doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I know i'm mounting mine upside down if the wiring permits, but overall i think it should've been built differently to be more protected from the elements!

Pipes going on as i speak.................!:D:D
Gotta agree I don't think the pots up/pots down thing would make much difference, but I think the unit as is will keep out roadsplash and maybe light rain; don't know about being caught in a downpour.

My intent is after I get it all dialed in the way I want it to cover the door/cover completely with electrical tape. I think that should suffice, although if you come up with any better solutions don't hesitate to let me know :)

·
Registered
500 Posts
I bought a fi200 for my roadstar and found out it is worthless, everyone tells me they are pointless and that you can adjust a hundred ways and still not right, only really works above 3000 rpms, I ditched mine and put on a power commander. I bought the cobra swepts and I plan to run it without a controller, if it back fires, I see if I can remove the AIS if there is one. Bottom line after wasting $289.00 on the fi2000, will never get my money again.
I ran the cobra swepts for about 3 weeks without a controller; while I didn't get any noticeable backfiring, my bike definitely ran worse with the pipes and without the controller. Mostly in that it was balky and cold-running; prone to stall when rolling off the line, and somewhat sluggish thru the powerband, mostly noticeable to me in the lower/mid ranges. Maybe your bike will be different; I'll be interested to know if you post after getting the pipes on.

·
Registered
500 Posts
My cobra swepts and fi2000r will be delivered today...I'm hoping the install is simple for both.....I'm curious to see the settings on the fi2000r also...I ordered them from Direct Line Parts...the fury site...so it should be programmed for the fury. (says it will be on site)
I just hope both items come with easy to understand instructions or is there a video I could watch? Anyone have an tips on install for these items?
Thanks...mark
There's no video that I know of, but the instructions are very clear and installation is a snap. As I said in my post, I had a dealer do it because of warranty concerns (probably not even a factor really) but I was playin' it safe. the actual unit connection was about a 3 minute deal; the most time consuming part of it all was removing/replacing air cleaner cover and rear cylinder cover.

I don't think you'll have any trouble at all.

P.S. I was just talking about the fi2000r installation; just noticed yer also asking about the pipes. I didn't put mine on, so maybe someone else can offer advice/suggestions in that area.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks...mark

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A GRINDER!!!
Maybe mine was the exception but the front header flange wouldn't fit anyway i tried it. I had to grind down the aft side so it would clear the engine. see pic below

The programmer was a snap, the pipes took a little time but not to difficult.

The only problem areas i had was the top exhaust bracket bolt and nut along with the forward lower header flange nut (once the new pipe was on).

When installing the new the exhaust bracket i used a 6" 1/2 extension with a universal joint and a 17mm socket for installing the lupper locknut. The nylon lock nut went where i couldn't get my hands or a wrench on it so i used the above tools instead.

BTW i rode mine with and without the programmer, noticed more top end with the programmer. Just my opinion...

When do you plan on installing them? I'm off work for the next week so i'm not too busy, you can get hold of me if you need some tips.

I gotta say, this changes the bike! I already loved this bike to death, but now it's undescribable (sp)!!!

Finished product.......

·
Registered
108 Posts
Cobra install

J.A.T.O...thanks for the tips...I did install them today...lots of wierd things happened..the flange was very difficult to get seated and nuts started....mounting the pipes to the bracket was hard too...in between the 2 pipes where those 2 short bolts attach the pipes to bracket...I couldn't get a socket in there to tighten them...so I tightend them by fingers..and then took a open faced wrench and started turning them about a 1/4 turn, then start again...I finally got them tight by using a screwdriver in the other end of wrench...to give me more torque..took me like an hour I think..haha.
I also had a very tough time with the pipe clamps...getting them to catch so I could start screwing them tight...all in all...it took me about 5 hours...I did stop a few times to take my dog out and to drive and borrow more tools from my dad...(They sound so bad ass...and look even better....I didn't get the fi2000r in yet..should be couple more days) I have a pic too...I will attach it...
I also took off the orange turn signals and added the Kury ones....they really make the bike look custom...thanks guys for the advice and tips..I love this forum.....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gotta agree I don't think the pots up/pots down thing would make much difference, but I think the unit as is will keep out roadsplash and maybe light rain; don't know about being caught in a downpour.

My intent is after I get it all dialed in the way I want it to cover the door/cover completely with electrical tape. I think that should suffice, although if you come up with any better solutions don't hesitate to let me know :)
After i get mine dialed in i'm going to put a thin layer of aircraft grade RTV around the lid. I've worked on jets for the last 10 years and i've fixed many a problem with some good ole RTV!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
J.A.T.O...thanks for the tips...I did install them today...lots of wierd things happened..the flange was very difficult to get seated and nuts started....mounting the pipes to the bracket was hard too...in between the 2 pipes where those 2 short bolts attach the pipes to bracket...I couldn't get a socket in there to tighten them...so I tightend them by fingers..and then took a open faced wrench and started turning them about a 1/4 turn, then start again...I finally got them tight by using a screwdriver in the other end of wrench...to give me more torque..took me like an hour I think..haha.
I also had a very tough time with the pipe clamps...getting them to catch so I could start screwing them tight...all in all...it took me about 5 hours...I did stop a few times to take my dog out and to drive and borrow more tools from my dad...(They sound so bad ass...and look even better....I didn't get the fi2000r in yet..should be couple more days) I have a pic too...I will attach it...
I also took off the orange turn signals and added the Kury ones....they really make the bike look custom...thanks guys for the advice and tips..I love this forum.....
Awesome!! Glad you got em installed. Made a world of difference didn't it!? Neighbor's are gonna hate you in the mornings now!
Yeah those clamps gave me more trouble than i would like to admit. I'm in the process of removing my baffles as an experimint so look for my thread for results.

Congrats!!!

2 Down

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
I am also running the copra sweeps. I didn’t have to hard of a time installing them. Although the instructions didn’t help much. I am not using a fuel controller. I disconnected the battery and turned the key to on. Took of the old pipes and installed the new ones. Then turned the key off reconnected the battery and fired it up. I let it run for 15min without touching the throttle. In doing this it seems to run just fine.

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
I am also running the copra sweeps. I didn’t have to hard of a time installing them. Although the instructions didn’t help much. I am not using a fuel controller. I disconnected the battery and turned the key to on. Took of the old pipes and installed the new ones. Then turned the key off reconnected the battery and fired it up. I let it run for 15min without touching the throttle. In doing this it seems to run just fine.
Tony,
When did you finally get them?
Do you like them?
T

·
Registered
358 Posts
Tony, can you explain the battery key turning thing in more detail. What does that do?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Tony, can you explain what unhooking the battery and the key thing does? I am trying to run my swepts without the fi2000, had bad experience with em before. Thx Gary

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
After i get mine dialed in i'm going to put a thin layer of aircraft grade RTV around the lid. I've worked on jets for the last 10 years and i've fixed many a problem with some good ole RTV!
Lol... love RTV.. fixes everything with a gap or slight whatever...!

·
Registered
500 Posts
rtv?

Ok I'll bite ... what's RTV? I'm guessing it's only available in 5-ton containers from bomber command or something ... :cool:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Installed my Fi2000r today..it was very easy and the instuctions walked me right through it...2 weeks ago, I put on the cobra swepts and did notice some sluggish, and popping....Now that I have the Fi2000r fuel controller, my fury is purring just right...it seems to help with overall performance.
Wasn't sure I would notice anything, but glad I did....get one if you don't have it...it seems hard to understand but it works...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts