Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
2,966 Posts
Good question. Seat is low, easy to flat foot at a stop. For me handling is very good, very stable, very predictable a nice low center of gravity. It is a lot bigger than what I would consider as a starter bike at 1312cc. Also a very long bike. Turns and specifically turning it around are different.

There are people that have started on it. Unless I am mistaken, @boatwire started on a Fury. I certainly think it can be made to work as a starter, based on how you ride and learn. Take your time, get to know it, get to know how it responds on short rides, least amount of traffic you can manage. Learning to deal with the bike AND other vehicles can be an issue. Until your reactions to the bike become natural and muscle memory, you are splitting your attention.

Dress appropriately, specially as a new rider. Helmet. Jacket, long pants, and preferably some boots that provide ankle support. Take the training class! Time well spent. Cars won't see you. I try to ride as if they are trying to kill me. Biggest thing you can be done to be seen is bright colors. Bright jacket and specially, a bright helmet. Loud pipes do not save lives, so don't buy that line.

· Registered
556 Posts
Considering my first fury and bike my question is ..is the fury a good starter bike
Mine's my first. A few years ago I took advantage of Harley-Davidson's sponsoring "Heroes Ride for Free" to get the req'd motorcycle endorsement for my FL driver's license. Since H-D footed the cost, I had to ride one of their bikes, a 500. That was way to small for me, I'm 6'-2". My knees were forward of my feet and it was awkward using the rear brake. After completing the course, my son and I went over to the local Powersport dealership and I got to try a Fury on for size. "Ahh, this is much better!" Plenty of modifications available to customize it to your liking. No regrets.
Tire Wheel Jeans Fuel tank Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Land vehicle Vehicle

· Premium Member
2,056 Posts
First bike should never be too small (250 Rebel) or too big (any bagger especially HD). Find something comfortable which the Fury is. Respect the throttle, dress accordingly, have fun and ride safe.

Reactions: Gizmo and boatwire

· Registered
2011 Fury
1,308 Posts
It may not be the too great as a beginner bike, you could pull it off tho. But everyone’s posts so far are right on point... careful, prepared, proper equipment, mindset, all very important for a first time rider. The Fury is an amazing bike, one that can be kept over many years and customized many times over those years so in that aspect it’s definitely “perfect” in my eyes. The most important thing I can tell you about it is the turning radius sucks ass and it won’t take turns going in too hot so be careful. Take your time and really get to know the machine before unleashing yourself on the old people and distracted drivers. Otherwise go for it and enjoy the fury world.

· Registered
37 Posts
Considering my first fury and bike my question is ..is the fury a good starter bike
The long wheelbase on the Fury gives it a larger turning radius than most bikes, making U-turns and other slow speed maneuvers more difficult than a more traditional bike. Consider a bike with a shorter wheelbase for a first bike. A lighter bike with a smaller engine will make for enjoyable riding for beginner rider.

· Registered
24 Posts
I took endorsement ride test on a Grom for a reason. You can always upgrade later. Love the fury, everything about it would make a great first bike EXCEPT the steering. If you have nothing to compare it to maybe learning on it would be great I could go either way on this. I mean do you ever need tight steering on first bike?
Not sure I would recommend it but if you love the bike as I do maybe it's a fine choice. Not everyone can have a garage full of 2 wheel choices.(don't tell that to my wife)

· Administrator
4,348 Posts
Look up "trail braking" on YouTube, then practice it. The slow speeds this is done at won't wear your brake, as long as you're mostly slipping the clutch that'll be fine too. It's awesome once you master the technique.

--
Tails of my Trailer Park Lows
My girlfriend always turned me down for sex until just the other day. I asked why the sudden change? She said, "I got my warts froze off! --those things made it so dern painful."

· Registered
779 Posts
Look up "trail braking" on YouTube, then practice it. The slow speeds this is done at won't wear your brake, as long as you're mostly slipping the clutch that'll be fine too. It's awesome once you master the technique.

--
My girlfriend always turned me down for sex until just the other day. I asked why the sudden change? She said, "I got my warts froze off! --those things made it so dern painful."
Doesn't everyone 'trail brake'?

· Administrator
4,348 Posts
Maybe Milwaukee has different bikers given we're home to H-D, brats, and beer, but duck-walking is common whereas taking a tight turn at 1 MPH is rarely seen.

--
Asked my neighbor if WE could cut down his tree hanging over my trailer before it got bigger and HE had to pay a tree service $500-700. He said sure, if I had a saw. After I took down his tree he said I owed him for the wood.

I offered him a beer and said, "I'll put it in an envelope and tape it to the brick that's going through your bay window tomorrow."

· Registered
37 Posts
Maybe Milwaukee has different bikers given we're home to H-D, brats, and beer, but duck-walking is common whereas taking a tight turn at 1 MPH is rarely seen.

--
Asked my neighbor if WE could cut down his tree hanging over my trailer before it got bigger and HE had to pay a tree service $500-700. He said sure, if I had a saw. After I took down his tree he said I owed him for the wood.

I offered him a beer and said, "I'll put it in an envelope and tape it to the brick that's going through your bay window tomorrow."
Q: How Do you evade a pack of HD riders?
A: Make them do a U turn.

· Registered
37 Posts

--
Here’s a good one:

· Registered
480 Posts
YES! It's like a bicycle with a 1300cc motor. I believe that you should buy whatever you're going to ride... as long as you have your basic skills down, you'll be fine. Ride like you're invisible!

Reactions: Gizmo

· Registered
92 Posts
[/QUOTE
My first bike and it's for sale was a 07 Boulevard M50 great starter bike and as for my fury It was a little strange getting used to the steering because of the rake. Here In Canada the bikes are insured price by cc's. The boulevard was cheaper as it is an 805 cc bike. That's why I went with it and our joke of a government makes us do graduated licensing. So once I got my M2 I was able to upgrade to the 1300 cc fury and the insurance price was not much different. So if it doesn't cost ya an arm and a leg why not choose a fury for a beginner bike.
Wheel Fuel tank Tire Plant Motor vehicle

· Registered
7 Posts
Good question. Seat is low, easy to flat foot at a stop. For me handling is very good, very stable, very predictable a nice low center of gravity. It is a lot bigger than what I would consider as a starter bike at 1312cc. Also a very long bike. Turns and specifically turning it around are different.

There are people that have started on it. Unless I am mistaken, @boatwire started on a Fury. I certainly think it can be made to work as a starter, based on how you ride and learn. Take your time, get to know it, get to know how it responds on short rides, least amount of traffic you can manage. Learning to deal with the bike AND other vehicles can be an issue. Until your reactions to the bike become natural and muscle memory, you are splitting your attention.

Dress appropriately, specially as a new rider. Helmet. Jacket, long pants, and preferably some boots that provide ankle support. Take the training class! Time well spent. Cars won't see you. I try to ride as if they are trying to kill me. Biggest thing you can be done to be seen is bright colors. Bright jacket and specially, a bright helmet. Loud pipes do not save lives, so don't buy that line.
BS They don't. When they hear the rev they don't want to pull out in front of someone that may or may not be in an MC. They still do, but most will hesitate. loud pipes absolutely save lives, don't be a fool

1 - 20 of 29 Posts