Honda Fury Forums: banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Registered
2,964 Posts
BS They don't. When they hear the rev they don't want to pull out in front of someone that may or may not be in an MC. They still do, but most will hesitate. loud pipes absolutely save lives, don't be a fool
If you understood how sonics work, you would know. People behind you are not an issue. Think about it. No, loud pipes do not save lives. If you like them, buy loud pipes. But don't say stupid shit to justify it, just say you like the sound.

· Registered
434 Posts
@Ordinary Biker
I have to disagree with you. I can speak to real world experience vs controlled environments with unstated variables.
Every spring/summer there are groups (big and small, cruisers, sport bikes and mixed) almost every weekend that travel from the freeway (4 miles away) on the main road near my home that leads to a major national park (Mt Rainer)
Depending on the group size I can start to hear them (and in some cases, feel the rumbling) anywhere from a 1/2 mile (1 to 4 riders) to well over a mile away (50+ riders) before they pass by.
I am able to work this out based on the average speed driven on that road (45/50) when I start to hear them, when they are the loudest and when I can't hear them any more. The difference in time before and after peak volume is only different by a few seconds.
As a side note, the above distance is based on having triple pain windows closed.

· Registered
2,964 Posts
This is a debate that can go on forever; I look at it like this…. It’s like giving a blood transfusion to a dead guy, it may not help but it sure can’t hurt! 😉
It's like the famous 'What is the best oil?' threads on ANY vehicle forum. Endless debate...

· Registered
13,060 Posts
It would be better off getting experience on something smaller and shorter wheelbase. The fury is a dream ride, but very different than your average bike. Just take some time on a smaller shorter bike enjoy yourself ride safe and then there’s plenty of furys you can hop on later
I totally agree. I don't know why anyone would want to learn how to ride on a larger bike, especially the Fury with it's longer wheelbase. My first bike was a Yamaha YZ 100 dirt bike. A little too powerful for a beginner, but it handled so nice and was very easily maneuverable. My first street bike was a Honda 350 four cylinder. Very glad I learned to ride street bikes on such a small one. It helped me learn a lot.

Once I started riding larger bikes, I had a lot of good experience and respect for the machine.

· Premium Member
1,077 Posts
I don't think it's an endless debate if people would look at the total picture...

I've said it before, but it's worth repeating... As motorcyclists we want to be as visible as possible, and we want cagers to be as aware as possible of our presence. Defensive riding as always critical, and visual cues are great. If audible 'visibility' wasn't necessary, then horns wouldn't exist on vehicles. Loud pipes are just another tool in the arsenal for total sensory visibility, and I would say any advantage we have there will ultimately save lives.

We could go on to discuss the scientific nature of distance and penetration through materials of various sound waves, but on the whole, lower frequencies will travel further and penetrate materials with less loss. The important factor to note is that sound can penetrate solid material, as well as reflect off many surfaces whereas visible light cannot (okay, mirrors yeah). What this equates to is being audibly 'visible' to the Karen in her electric SUV backing out of her garage at "OMG, I'm late to my child's soccer game" speeds and general awareness and probably also has a wall of shrubs extending all the way to the curb, while you're cruising down the street approaching her home....

Another real world example: Spending 9 months commuting in Dallas traffic on a factory muffled Bright Yellow Shadow and having drivers decide to change lanes into my lane on top of me because they can't hear me at all, and they don't bother to look, vs. 10 years on the Fury with Cobra swepts, not obsessively loud, but loud enough to be heard in traffic... I would say that I am STILL 10:1 on the times I was lane encroached upon on the Shadow vs. the Fury. That alone is enough fact for me to say, "Yeah, it's true"

Are overly loud pipe obnoxious? hell yeah, they are... sometimes I hate em, sometimes I grin from ear to ear. All depends on my mood, and the environment.

Another factor to chew on... wildlife on the road. I'd rather that 12-pointer hear me coming and get TF off the road before I'm close...

· Registered
2010 Fury
899 Posts
If you understood how sonics work, you would know. People behind you are not an issue. Think about it. No, loud pipes do not save lives. If you like them, buy loud pipes. But don't say stupid shit to justify it, just say you like the sound.
I'll not try to insult anyone here, as it's not going to convince anyone of anything.
You should actually consider doppler effect, which explains why the pitch of sound changes as it passes. If there was no sound of approaching vehicles, there would be no doppler. Your statement would be true if oncoming traffic was approaching at the speed of sound.
So yes, louder sounds (and brighter lights) draw more attention.
Of that, there is no debate (and "no way, that's BS!" is not really debate).

· Registered
13,060 Posts
I'll not try to insult anyone here, as it's not going to convince anyone of anything.
You should actually consider doppler effect, which explains why the pitch of sound changes as it passes. If there was no sound of approaching vehicles, there would be no doppler. Your statement would be true if oncoming traffic was approaching at the speed of sound.
So yes, louder sounds (and brighter lights) draw more attention.
Of that, there is no debate (and "no way, that's BS!" is not really debate).
Yes, sound waves being compressed during approach, resulting in higher pitch, and sound waves being stretched during retreat, resulting in lower pitch.

I love science.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts