Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Premium Member
4,474 Posts
Welcome to the forum friend. The best advise I can add for your first time ride is to say just go for it. Do not be intimidated by the ride of this bike and take it slow and it will be a only a short time before you have realized you have made a wise decision. Good luck! Dave

· Registered
13,011 Posts
You gotta' start somewhere.:D This has been brought up before in a couple other threads, and you will find that the opinions are mixed. I know there are a few other first time riders on this forum who have chosen the Honda Fury as their first bike and they will of course tell you to go for it. They seem to be doing fine and do not regret their decision, which is cool. Then there are those of us who believe it might be wiser to buy an old cheap bike and learn to ride it before you go spending around $12,000.00 on a machine that might just wind up falling over and sliding down the road. If you have the money to repair/replace an expensive bike should you lay it over, then who cares? I've layed over several bikes in the past and in doing so, gained some valuable experience. My personal opinion is to buy the cheapest bike you can find and take it out, ride the hell out of it, learn what and what not to do. Then once you have some miles under your belt, buy the Fury. It's a great bike.

· Registered
3,345 Posts
I agree with Stevo, and go slow and learn, take a beginners course and intermediate if possible. It takes a while for most to learn to be a good rider and a safe rider who knows what they are doing. You have to be able to realise danger before your in that position and not to ride above your capabilities. Its new to you, you just have to learn, like we did. Stay safe.;) ps; You dont just jump in to a Nascar and drive. You start with go carts, then mini, then dirt track then D team, then C team, years later, maybe A team. Also you never step on a bike, you may scrach the paint!

· Premium Member
6,029 Posts
Honda Fury was my first bike... have around 10.7k on it atm and have loved every minute of it!
Really, it's going to be up to you what you choose... go by your gut feeling, not your initial wow, holy crap look at that bike feeling. Ride safe! Beginners course is a must... I only took 2 lessons worth of it instead of the 3 as I had it by the second lesson.

· Premium Member
6,715 Posts
There is no “right” answer. It depends on your maturity and ability. I started on a Shadow 750 and learned what to do and what not to do. Never layed it down, but I had several close calls. Good luck and let us know if you have any questions. As you can tell, there are some good people with real life experience on here.

For the record, I stay off sports bikes cause I know I'll kill myself.:) Well, I stay off of them for the most part anyway.

· Premium Member
13,959 Posts
Honda Fury was my first bike... have around 10.7k on it atm and have loved every minute of it!
Really, it's going to be up to you what you choose... go by your gut feeling, not your initial wow, holy crap look at that bike feeling. Ride safe! Beginners course is a must... I only took 2 lessons worth of it instead of the 3 as I had it by the second lesson.
i agree with redspawnsilver.ride what youare going to ride.take the course and take it easy for a while you learn.safe riding.

· Premium Member
2,497 Posts
The Fury was the 1st street bike i have ridden since i was a kid (long time ago lol) I picked it up and pulled on the freeway 1 block from the dealer all i can say is Sweet ride , very easy bike, very rider friendly...:D go for it.

· Premium Member
1,263 Posts
I agree with all of the above! ;) It's really not the bike.... but the rider that determines the safe operation!

Welcome to the Forum. Here is where you will find those who are committed to the ride! :)

· Premium Member
1,965 Posts
All I can add to this thread, is to sign up for a MSF course
MSF = Motorcycle Safety Foundation
You can sign up at most motorcycle dealers or your local Community College.
They normally provide the bike. If your a first time rider I highly recommend it.
Whether your 18 or 106, the knowledge gained can be life saving...
The bike is only one piece of the equation, experience is key.
my 2 cents..

· Premium Member
6,715 Posts
All I can add to this thread, is to sign up for a MSF course
MSF = Motorcycle Safety Foundation
You can sign up at most motorcycle dealers or your local Community College.
They normally provide the bike. If your a first time rider I highly recommend it.
Whether your 18 or 106, the knowledge gained can be life saving...
The bike is only one piece of the equation, experience is key.
my 2 cents..
I did the Honda Safety course before I got my license. Great course. As Tony said, sign up for a course if you can.

· Registered
2,385 Posts
i say course first, then junker bike, even if its a dirt bike to do weekend trail riding for a month or 2 just something you wont lose much value on if it gets scratched up a little. from there move onto a better bike. reason i suggest dirtbike even is just so you can get the hand coordination down, learn some of the different braking/downshifting feels compared to a car where you just push a pedal, and learn some of the stearing aspects too.

I wouldnt want to take a nice new bike and risk a few hundred plus in damage the first few trips. I have been riding 10 years and even took my time with the fury by taking it to the park just down the street from my house and working on some manuvering characteristics to learn the bike better before taking it up to higher speeds and distances where im not completely familiar with terrain. This bike doesnt handle like a standard cruiser and you should be familiar with a bike before you actually run it.

on a positive note for the fury the low center of gravity makes it an easier bike to keep upright compared to some others out there and it is comfortable for taller riders (my shadow 600 feels like a mini bike now) and

· Premium Member
6,715 Posts
When I picked my bike up, I took all back roads and stayed out of traffic the best I could till knew exactly how the bike would react. After getting it home, I spent some more time in the neighborhood. I have been riding for years and could have went straight out to the highway, but if figured better safe than sorry.

· Premium Member
1,965 Posts
I picked my bike up, I took all back roads and stayed out of traffic the best I could till knew exactly how the bike would react. After getting it home, I spent some more time in the neighborhood. I have been riding for years and could have went straight out to the highway, but if figured better safe than sorry.
I did the same thing, the neighbors didn't mind me running around the hood up until I got my new pipes. Then the drive by car alarms got to them a little. (lol) Funny how neighbors you never met come out to say hi when you have a bike..
I've met some fellow riders in the neighborhood that way.

MSF is the way to go..

· Registered
201 Posts
I did the same thing, the neighbors didn't mind me running around the hood up until I got my new pipes. Then the drive by car alarms got to them a little. (lol) Funny how neighbors you never met come out to say hi when you have a bike..
I've met some fellow riders in the neighborhood that way.

MSF is the way to go..
Tony,funny thing about the neighbors,the day I brought my bike home,the first thing he says about the bike is "I would change the pipes if I was you",do you think he going to still feel that way when I fire it up at 5:00am with those WARLORDS on? By the way,his bedroom side of his house is next to my garage! RISE AND SHINE MOFO !!

· Premium Member
1,965 Posts
Tony,funny thing about the neighbors,the day I brought my bike home,the first thing he says about the bike is "I would change the pipes if I was you",do you think he going to still feel that way when I fire it up at 5:00am with those WARLORDS on? By the way,his bedroom side of his house is next to my garage! RISE AND SHINE MOFO !!
That's funny... I had a buddy (with a Big Dog) that would stop by the house around 10 pm, stay until midnight or so. When he fired up that Big Dog, the fricken windows would rattle. While none of the neighbors said anything, I know they wasn't too please with it.. :D

· Registered
13,011 Posts
This bike doesnt handle like a standard cruiser and you should be familiar with a bike before you actually run it.
That's for sure. It doesn't quite handle like a regular cruiser, does it? Although, that probably doesn't matter if it's the first bike you've ever ridden. To me, when I first started riding the Fury, it felt like I had to lean more into the turn and actually turn the forks more. It took me a few rides to get used to it, and I've been riding since I was......shoot, I can't remember....a little kid.:D

· Registered
1,303 Posts
First go here Motorcycle Safety Foundation

Second find friends or places that will let you ride a bike to get a feel for it.

Third try the Fury see how it compares.

Last buy one w/helmet and other safety gear and ride the hell out of it.

***I am a new rider, never riden a bike until last fall when i took my local MSF class. I really learned a lot, stuff i would never think about. The class is a must and at $25 why not take it. I may even take it again in the spring to refresh. Later in the fall when I have enough miles under my belt I'll take the second level class (requires your own bike). I have done the above steps and will be doing more riding when this snow finally goes away. Good luck, enjoy whatever bike you buy.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.