Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the white 2011 Fury and I'm having a really hard time matching the flat black color/sheen of the frame. I've tried probably 6 different varieties of spray paint trying to get this to match correctly. I'm a little limited as well since I'm painting the side panels and I think you really need to use a plastic paint here for the flex.

Can anyone recommend a good spray paint for this and what color I should get? I've used Krylon Fusion Satin Black and Flat Black and neither is really a good match. I've come close with Rust-o-Leum's "Painters Touch" Satin Black but it's not really meant for plastic. Has anyone found the right paint/color?

- S

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
there should be a paint code under your seat if i remember right, another option would be call the dealer and ask.

i don't think you need to get a paint for plastic as that piece has been plastichromed, haven't heard of anyone having issues by not using a certain type of paint, but your still back to finding a match.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
My where painted at a local body shop a friend owns, and I'm sure he didn't use paint meant for plastic and mine look fantastic.

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
If you want to DIY at little cost, find a spray can that matches color...It doesn't have to be for plastic!

Wet sand your piece with 220 until there are no shiny spots. Dry it, spray it with 'Self Etching Primer' -- Two light coats with 10 min between coats) , let dry then paint it. Since most spray cans are 'enamel' it will be a relatively hard finish but still not like auto clear coats over paint but should do the trick.

·
Premium Member
1,995 Posts
The frame is not a flat black or satin, it is gloss black. Also, since the side covers do not bend, you should not need a urathane based paint. Just my 2 cents. :D

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Don't forget that he said he had a white 2011 Fury, maybe they used a different type of paint on the frame than the black paint that was used on the 2010's.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have the white 2011 Fury and I'm having a really hard time matching the flat black color/sheen of the frame. I've tried probably 6 different varieties of spray paint trying to get this to match correctly. I'm a little limited as well since I'm painting the side panels and I think you really need to use a plastic paint here for the flex.

Can anyone recommend a good spray paint for this and what color I should get? I've used Krylon Fusion Satin Black and Flat Black and neither is really a good match. I've come close with Rust-o-Leum's "Painters Touch" Satin Black but it's not really meant for plastic. Has anyone found the right paint/color?

- S
checkout colorrite.com. i just purchased two cans of black paint. im going to paint some of the chrome plastic black. on their website it gives you all the colors for the fury. it says that the colors are an exact match. lets see about that. one thing is that they are expensive. $33 for a 11oz can.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The problem with Colorrite is that they don't list a flat black for the 2011 White frame.

- S

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
probably need to give them a little time to get it in as the 2011's just came out, i'm sure in no time they will get it, but i also think that you can probably color match it with something that's on the market now just have to search around.

·
Premium Member
1,995 Posts
I checked one out on the showroom floor, what do you know, the frame is a matte black... that looks like a pain to color match. Good Luck! :cool:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep I thought so as well. I was sure I could match that flat black pretty easily, but as it turns out it's got a very slight gloss to it; not quite flat and not quite satin. I've now tried about 10 different varieties of Krylon and Rustoleum with no match.

I can however, definately tell you which ones ARE NOT a match:(

- S

·
Registered
893 Posts

- S
Painters process will work for a littel cost solution, but I have to say from experience... Spend the money for a Satin Clear Coat on top of black. Its more durable against knick and scatches as well as you can whipe spilled gas right off and not have to worry about fade. Plus its hard as hell to get trash out or a run if you use a spray can method. I would however recommend the enamel engine paint spray can method on the engine... any trash or runs will be harder to see on the engine and a black bike with a black engine just looks bad ass.

I will actually be doing this to my fiences 2010 Shadow Phantom with a gloss black hand pin stripping on top of the satin finish.

My charge to do it would be about $550... not counting shipping and pin stripping. Price a few shops in your area, but see if they have any examples to view.

Just my 2 cents... Post some pics as soon as you get back together!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts