Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was surprised by JetBlu flooding out the other morning during a poker run. Now i know that there are issues with the Furys not wanting to start right up after riding and the block is still hot. My situation went something like this...

I parked the bike, and shut her down. Took off my helmet and dismounted. Walked over to the line and was in line for about 5 minutes. Walked back to the bike and mounted. While sitting on her in put on my helmet, installed the key, switched on and set the trigger. I hit the button and get a small turn over ( no longer then the blink of an eye ) and then nothing. I look down and see fumes coming from the exhast pipe. Then, much to my amazement i see a puddle of fuel at the end of the pipe!:eek: I try to fire it again, and it just wont catch, like there is no spark ... and more fuel at the end of the pipe. Now everyone around me can smell the unburnt fuel .. and i feel like im riding a Harley! Eccept im on a Honda?

So i let it sit for a minute, pondering how much its going to cost me to have the bike flatbedded back home, in front of about 100 or so riders. I check the Cobra FI and the pots havent moved. Now back to the bike i go .. and set the trigger. I hear the EFI fuel up, then i hit the start button. Intially i get nothing, then she starts to stumble so i roll back on the throttle. JetBlu stumbles for a second, then belches out this huge cloud of black smoke and starts running just fine.

I didnt think it was possible to flood a fuel injected engine, but i guess you can. I flooded it so much that fuel managed to poor down the pipes ( which were still warm mind you ) and collect at the end! Im at a complete loss. I didnt shut her down the rest of the ride in fear that she wouldnt start again, but during the rest of the ride i never had any issues. Strange.

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
Did you get the extended warranty? I would definitely let the dealer know and see what suggestions they have.

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
Did you happen to twist the throttle before or during the start attempt? I always heard that you don't touch the throttle......just curious.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Holding the throttle wide open as you hit the start button will turn off the FI and you can crank the motor and clean out the extra fuel. I think I read that in the manual.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Holding the throttle wide open as you hit the start button will turn off the FI and you can crank the motor and clean out the extra fuel. I think I read that in the manual.
Don't forget to pull in the clutch! Lol... :rolleyes::eek:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Did you happen to twist the throttle before or during the start attempt? I always heard that you don't touch the throttle......just curious.
This is true. turn on the key, turn on the engine run switch, let the FI light go out and hit the starter. twisting the throttle will only flood the motor.

On a second note, when you shut it down were you running it hard or reving the motor just before shutting it down?

I have noticed that with the Fury when you twist the throttle and let off the motor stumbles before the idle returns to normal. Could be caused by unburnt fuel. you rev it up and kill the motor now you have what could be unburned fuel left in the compression chamber. this would make it difficult to restart. Just an idea.

·
Premium Member
13,703 Posts
i saw this happen one time.the key was left on with very little throddle.he put the kickstand down and it shut the engine off .he forgot to turn the key off.hard to start but when it did it black smoked the lot.cleared up after a couple minuts and away we went.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You know, i kept thinking that i may have accidently just rolled the throttle just a bit. I mean, ever so slightly. With my Cobra FI setting so high, i guess it is possible that the injectors were force feeding the cylinders before the 2nd plug had spark? I do remember that she was stumbling like an SOB the 3rd time i tried to get it started ... thats when i did purposely roll the throttle back to see if she would catch and start running.

I didnt get the extended warrenty, yet. I have that option to buy up until a year after the date of purchase. Im going to see how she fires up this weekend before i garage her and tear her down.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is true. turn on the key, turn on the engine run switch, let the FI light go out and hit the starter. twisting the throttle will only flood the motor.

On a second note, when you shut it down were you running it hard or reving the motor just before shutting it down?

I have noticed that with the Fury when you twist the throttle and let off the motor stumbles before the idle returns to normal. Could be caused by unburnt fuel. you rev it up and kill the motor now you have what could be unburned fuel left in the compression chamber. this would make it difficult to restart. Just an idea.
I dont make it a habbit of blipping the throttle before shut down, just for that reason. And i dont rev the snot out of her before shut down, for the same reason.

What really makes me scratch my head is the amount of fuel that was sitting at the end of the pipe. If it were a tablespoon more, it would have actually poored out of the pipe itself. Just wierd.

·
Registered
305 Posts
If you had so much fuel in there that it was running out the pipes, i would pull the dip-stick and smell the oil.

You may have drained gas past the rings and into the sump. If that is the case change the oil.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you had so much fuel in there that it was running out the pipes, i would pull the dip-stick and smell the oil.

You may have drained gas past the rings and into the sump. If that is the case change the oil.
Good Point. Ill be sure to check this out as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fuel coming out the exhaust.

I have this same problem right now and was curious if this works. Mine is pouring fuel out the exhaust. Does the throttle wide open really shut off the fuel injection.

·
Premium Member
13,703 Posts
I have this same problem right now and was curious if this works. Mine is pouring fuel out the exhaust. Does the throttle wide open really shut off the fuel injection.
mine dosent shut down when im getting up at full throttle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just went on a 40 mile ride in 90 degree weather and stopped for a bathroom break and then we to start the bike up and as I turn on the key I hear the FI turn on and the sound of the fuel hitting the hot motor. Then the bike would not start and flooded to the point where you see the fuel coming out the pipes. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
The bike still under warranty? If so I would say to take it to the shop and let them deal with it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts