Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I think they look great, the only thing my design mind questions is the rigidity of the plate and the potential large moment it's putting on those lower bolts. The rigidity issue could be solved with some gusseting/stiffener ribs on the inside, which could maybe double as...a holder for something? Who knows. Either way I love new ideas, thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Ah! Engineer talk… moment, rigidity, gussets, it’s like whispering sweet nothings in my ear!!! 🤣
Yeah unfortunately I can't help it...

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Thanks. It's 4340, so rigidity and strength isn't in question.
Not worried about strength of the material in the shear direction at all (or in general), worried about the prying moment down at the bolt heads for any directional forces applied toward the center of the bike. That's a big moment arm and can absolutely translate to a high force to those bolts. If one uses cheap hardware (or stainless for that matter) there's potential for the bolt to fail in tension or shear the threads. Not going to do the calculation since I spend all day doing this stuff, it's just something to keep in mind when one is relying on bolts to act in preload and as a shear feature. Regardless, I'm sure it will be fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts