Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was test fitting the fork extenders into the top triple tree. They went in easy enough, then when i went to pull them out they got stuck... I assume a piece of metal got in there or something. I've used a strap wrench and now they wont even budge..... Any idears? I assume there will be a nice gouge on the inside of the triple tree IF i can get them removed.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I was test fitting the fork extenders into the top triple tree. They went in easy enough, then when i went to pull them out they got stuck... I assume a piece of metal got in there or something. I've used a strap wrench and now they wont even budge..... Any idears? I assume there will be a nice gouge on the inside of the triple tree IF i can get them removed.
Try wd-40.....:eek:

·
Registered
560 Posts
if I understand how its stuck, loosen the bolts on the top triple tree. place a flathead screwdriver in the clamping part of the tree. twist the screwdriver enought to where it will slide out if you PULL STRAIGHT DOWN. do not twist! they will scratch!!

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
if I understand how its stuck, loosen the bolts on the top triple tree. place a flathead screwdriver in the clamping part of the tree. twist the screwdriver enought to where it will slide out if you PULL STRAIGHT DOWN. do not twist! they will scratch!!
What he said, with the additional caveat; I'd be worried less about scratching (you can polish that out) than about galling, which you may have already done. Galling will transfer metal from the softer of the two surfaces (the clamps) to the harder (the forks or extender tubes). Ultimately, some lubricant with more lubricity than WD-40 may be required, like moly lube (MOS2) (Molybdinum Disulfide). My two-bits..............

Cheers

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking about doing the screwdriver trick you're referring to but wasn't sure how much outward pressure they can take. If i get them out and there are grooves in the trees, can i sand this out or do you think it will weaken the trees? Basically im wondering if i permo screwed the trees n will need new ones... Thanks all

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Best of luck to you, same thing happened to me. I ended up having to clamp them down in a vise and grab the tree and spin it. Ruined the extenders threads in the process.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
................... but wasn't sure how much outward pressure they can take.

They have a certain "springy-ness" (hysterisis); you should be OK.

If i get them out and there are grooves in the trees, can i sand this out or do you think it will weaken the trees?

Small grooves in the trees/clamps should not be an issue. Sanding the bores smooth should suffice and, no, small grooves will not weaken them appreciably; not a concern. Note that honing would be better than sanding, as an option.

Basically im wondering if i permo screwed the trees n will need new ones...

No, probably not. Just smooth-up the effected parts, re-assemble with a light film of oil, and you should be OK.

Take your time, it'll be OK.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
i had purchased the 8* trees with the extentions and had them chromed. i had one of the extentions in, and thought it was a fraction of an inch from the bottom where it needed to be. So i tried to back it out, and it wouldnt budge. I tried the strap wrench ... and nothing. I ended up taking my dead blow hammer and taking turns smacking each side on the threads to get it out ... very slowly. I must have hit the extention hundreds of times and the better part of an hour when it finally popped out.

I had marked the extention with some tape where it met the tree, to see if it was indeed working itself out. After it was out, i measured the extention and the hole and come to find out it was fully inserted! Live and learn i guess.

By using the dead blow hammer i did no damage to the threads, and later managed to use the same extention after i removed more of the chrome from inside the tree.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had installed the 1"extenders and lowering spring on my fury and wish I had gone with the 3" extenders.
So I went out and bought the 3" and after loosening the pinch bolts I find the 1" extenders are stuck in the triple tree. Can't get them to pop up so I can unscrew them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Ric, is this on the stock triple trees ? Where there's one pinch bolt in the upper tree and two in the lower tree? You have to loosen them all to move the fork tube up or down. If it doesn't I suggest inserting a large screwdriver in the slits the pinch bolts go through to loosen their clamping force a bit.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I did mine last winter an had the same problem. If these parts are below freezing this could be your problem. My garage is not heated an once I put a 2 pot propane burner facing my bike for 3 hrs they came back out easily. Hope this helps. Good luck

·
Registered
760 Posts
Your phenomena is called cold welding. It can occur if there is not enough clearance between highly polished parts of the same metal (mainly stainless steel) and happens on an atomic scale. The electrons of adjacent components form a bond (coalescing) which is difficult to impossible to break without destoying the parts. The longer the items are in contact with each other, the more electrons form a bond. I have seen this on two occasions during my 38 year career as a mechanical engineer (once with a set of gauge blocks left together for a week and once with a shaft/bushing combination some idiot designed - it froze on the first attempt to insert the shaft). It is a bummer, but I would recommend the disassembly of the tree and heating it up whilst cooling the extension. You most likely destroy the plating - but..ah well.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
lower the front end a little on the tire to put pressure on it. While putting a terry cloth towel over the top to prevent scratching. Should pop out then...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts