Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ordered the stuff to build my own forwards. I might have to order a new brake line. i should have parts weds and hopefully mocked up for pics by next weekend.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh yeah, he's on a roll now.
yep id been shopping for parts a while, took me a bit, mast cyl is 60 bucks and pegs w/ bolt on clevis were around 80, but kept running into a dead end with brake lever, the harley ones jack the price up a bit, but sofar im in for 300 pending needing no new brake line if everything goes fairly smooth (including chrome). I ended up buying a set for a harley and am just going to remake the mounting bracket to fit the fury, figured would give me matching pegs, toe pegs, and matching levers. my forwards will be in tomorrow and im off thursday and friday, so should be able to get some work done. Im just hoping all the schematics to this set i saw work out for adapting to the fury.

I will have pics of them mocked up and installed except for brake once brackets are cut (gotta send brackets to chromer so dont want to keep rebleading brakes) Even if they look bike night presentable and offer function i will be happy for the price. my other option would be to black out the plates rather than chrome which will speed it up, and save cost. this is what im using but brackets will be recut.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
How much are those controls? I am very interested in seeing how this turns out.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How much are those controls? I am very interested in seeing how this turns out.
They are Bikers Choice Gladiators, I forget how much they are, just know what my credit card is upto I think like 250ish-300 is what they run. Im hoping i can get enough stretch without swapping my brake line since i already have a braded line. That and deciding between black or chrome bracket will determine time for them to be fully functional.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got forwards yesterday, have to order new brake line, had to change the whole idea, Im using the entire forward and building a plate to adapt to a harley bolt pattern and 1/2" spacers to allow access to all the bolts. Good news is it will work, bad news is i gotta become coherent enough by tomorrow to redraw everything and take to the machine shop. so will shoot for 2 weeks since im only off today and tomorrow until then and work both jobs prettymuch nonstop. hopefully will have forwards on within a month

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sweet! Keep us posted on the progress
I got the plans drawn up, my matching grips ment for a harley on too (pull switch housings, grind off the catch pin and slide them out further). Weather is horrible right now, so cant really leave house, my truck spins way too easily on damp roads and its soaked.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've got grips ment for HD also sounds like we had to do the same thing but it worked out fine. I looked up the forwards you are useing they show a price of a little over 500.00 still alot cheaper that any I have seen so far.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've got grips ment for HD also sounds like we had to do the same thing but it worked out fine. I looked up the forwards you are useing they show a price of a little over 500.00 still alot cheaper that any I have seen so far.
I got mine with the matching grips for 250 off ebay. Getting ready to run out to a gig tonight, going to stop by hardware store and do some shopping. I might just hand fab the brackets for now then mill them later

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm a pretty tall guy. What would stop me from taking any forward control set i wanted to have and making a mounting plate forward and out to line up the bolt holes? It seems like a 3"x3"x1/4" aluminum plate would bridge the gap between most models. Make a shift linkage and buy a brake line... am I over simplifying it?

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm a pretty tall guy. What would stop me from taking any forward control set i wanted to have and making a mounting plate forward and out to line up the bolt holes? It seems like a 3"x3"x1/4" aluminum plate would bridge the gap between most models. Make a shift linkage and buy a brake line... am I over simplifying it?
Somewhat. You gotta make sure the way the shift arm hooks into the linkage is within a certain size, be able to aim shift arm down (harleys are up). Then you gotta template it out for the stretch you want, use about a 1/2" bushing to push the control out from the plate because depending on the stretch you want, you may have the bolts from plate to frame under the control.

I would suggest to keep the forwards square propping the bike vertical, using a plumb bob and masking tape on the floor to help with mock up so they have the same push forward since RT and left side depending on bike may not be the same (my bolt pattern i needed for forward is slightly off from side to side)

I used 2 4x4x1/4 plates (to allow me a little more shifting room for how im orienting the bolt holes, Its basic metal work like you are building a frame just to keep everything perfect.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I appreciate the input. I don't want to carbon copy your work, how did you go about deciding which set of controls were going to work? A one inch picture on the internet is not going to cut it for me to guess if it will fit. I would guess a simple bolt pattern on one basic plate would work best. These ain't got to be beautiful, just forward. How did you shop around?

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I appreciate the input. I don't want to carbon copy your work, how did you go about deciding which set of controls were going to work? A one inch picture on the internet is not going to cut it for me to guess if it will fit. I would guess a simple bolt pattern on one basic plate would work best. These ain't got to be beautiful, just forward. How did you shop around?
make sure you like the way they look, your capible of getting shift linkage hooked up and wont drag shift linkage arm on the ground, and they have separate master cyl. i spent alot of time around different bikes and was brainstorming on every bike i saw

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
gonna have to pay attention to something other than the women at the next bike show.... difficult. thanks for the help.
the ones I used were for mid 80's-99 HD FXST, other harleys and bigdogs. I was able to flip the shift arm to linkage part so it was oriented right for the fury, with picking them up a hair over stock and pushing them out the 3 1/2 they are forward the arm is slightly low, but no issues for my test ride, Im just waiting for the brake line

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)

These are the pics so far I had to re mock them up to check the brake line. Shop sent wrong length, but they are just sending a small extension type piece since i need a pressure based Brake light switch, it will help conceal everything a bit better too so worked out for the better.

To show whats in the pics, its the Forwards i previously mentioned, (1st pic) The bolts arnt all the way in since i was removing them and the OEM brake is slightly in the way. (2nd side shot) You can see the pegs are now out infront of the frame. (3rd) The OEM bolts Lay partially under the bracket and the frame sits narrow so they needed pushed out to the side a little more used 1" spacers. (4th) shows the bolt pattern i had to drill out.

When i get some more ambition I'm going to clean up the brackets, Paint them, and perminantly mount them. Gotta wait probably another 2 weeks for the brake line though with the way the supplier runs, and with my work schedule.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Awesome bro! Keep up the good work and can't wait to see the final results... might inspire me to follow your lead :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts