Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Septuagenarian Rider
4,151 Posts
This is all you need for 2½" forward and ½" down with stock foot pegs ;)
Narrow custom pegs will stretch your legs the best part of 3".
Early Pictures
Shift toe peg is 1" closer and brake toe peg is 1¼" closer to foot peg.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
Now that's a custom set of forwards! Nice chrome.

Looks great Gar, well done. I think that would work a treat on the forwards of a silver bike;)

·
Septuagenarian Rider
4,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
A little history

I though about DIY forwards for the best part of a year (comes with age :rolleyes:).
I had four goals:

1. Retain the stock look.
  2. Avoid altering the hydraulics.
  3. Avoid leaving the master-cylinder exposed in front of the frame.
  4. Reduce the distance between the foot pegs and pedals for a more comfortable 'reach'.
In the beginning I was also having a tough time justifying almost a grand for a few inches :D. Later, after doing up to 400 mile days, I was finding incentive. Ironically, Troy at Accutronics offered me the opportunity to try his forwards to see how they would work on my ABS Fury. What with border customs, my design criteria and his higher foot peg height, I deferred to some lucky US resident.

If I recall, Fury_Guy was the first DIY and did a beautiful job (as usual). His effort was inspirational and got my synapses zapping more intensely. MFR's solution came later and has proved very effective, as well as versatile but wasn't the style I was looking for. Then came Jim (ikya) with the key to solve my puzzle. Funny, it was so obvious once I saw it, yet never ocured to me to place the foot peg hinge directly over the step bracket mounting bolt :rolleyes:. The rest is history :)

·
Super Moderator
4,476 Posts
I think you should start making and selling them. Put me in for a set in chrome.

·
Septuagenarian Rider
4,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I think you should start making and selling them. Put me in for a set in chrome.
Wish I could Dave but it's a lot of work ;) and far from profiatble the way I plod along in my relaxed retirement.

Now somebody like Chris (Low & Mean) could probably make it work as I have invited him to do, gratis. The key to production is not to re-purpose the original pieces as I did but to plasma cut steel plate for the step bracket and weld on correctly sized box tubing for the hinge or, even simpler, bolt on aftermarket pegs. The brake leaver is a snap and could be done exchange.

Rolled outside between winter drizzles for left and right shots :D ...

Attachments

·
Septuagenarian Rider
4,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Step Bracket Templates

The brake side step bracket shows an angled cut on the rear edge parallel to my aftermarket exhaust header pipe. With stock exhaust it is parallel without cutting.
The shift side step bracket shows a cut made parallel to the relocated shift lever after riding and adjusting the shift lever to it's final and most comfortable position.

·
Registered
403 Posts
So you actually relocated the mount for the pegs from the X location to the new. Correct? and the brake pedal was a cut in the red and bend and weld? just trying to visuaze all this since I like your mod the best. Thanks again Gar for thinking outside the box

·
Septuagenarian Rider
4,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So you actually relocated the mount for the pegs from the X location to the new. Correct?
Correct :)
and the brake pedal was a cut in the red and bend and weld? just trying to visuaze all this since I like your mod the best. Thanks again Gar for thinking outside the box
Correct :)
More info here: "The rest is history :)"

Now 'Oldie', as a brother auto mechanic it would be an honor to assist in any way I can if you decide to go for it. PM your phone # if you like since I have 'dual nation wide' coverage ;).

1 - 20 of 48 Posts