Honda Fury Forums: banner

Friction zone

4K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  Baysidebob 
#1 ·
I won't admit to how long I rode before I learned what the "friction zone" is and how to use it.

YouTube - Ride Like A Pro

#3 ·
Not to sound like a total rookie, but this is real close to what i was taught today in my riding course. I was so freaked out cause it feels like your gonna fall inside the circle your making. What i was taught, and what really makes a difference, it to keep your head up and turned over your shoulder as far as you can, and you can make tight .. tight circles.

I havent rode street bikes in 25 years, and today i was real close to dragging the pegs while making my circles.

#5 ·
They are supposed to touch on it a bit in the class, In the MTII course they had the BOX which was a rectangular area that you had to figure 8 uturns in, higher speed swerving, turn assessment, and brake drills. Its kinda fun, that is why most of the riding issues on here, Brake discussions, and turning issues I always talk about how i try to practice once a month in the park. Its nice to be able to whip your bike around anywhere you need to go and not have to walk it wherever your going. The fury is not as good of a handling bike as those for doing tight turns like that though. The rake on this bike kills your turning radius

#7 ·
Start riding dirtbikes, go on some group rides too so you need to watch others speed infront and behind you. That is how i learned which was constant speed corrections, leaning with bike and ground orientation/traction for turns, tight turns and being on your toes the entire time.

#8 ·
yikes

Crap. On top of everything else I've added to this bike now I gotta add a new motorcycle so I can practice turns and then move back up to my fury. Oh well, if it's for safety's sake ...

In all seriousness, I've always thought myself a pretty good rider but those guys (and gals) make my turning skills look like shit lol ... I definitely gotta work on some stuff.

Wonder if you can really get anything hands-on useful and practical from watching training videos? Not sure what the ride like a pro series costs but I'd spend it if I thought you could ...

What's anyone else think?

#9 ·
Crap. On top of everything else I've added to this bike now I gotta add a new motorcycle so I can practice turns and then move back up to my fury. Oh well, if it's for safety's sake ...

In all seriousness, I've always thought myself a pretty good rider but those guys (and gals) make my turning skills look like shit lol ... I definitely gotta work on some stuff.

Wonder if you can really get anything hands-on useful and practical from watching training videos? Not sure what the ride like a pro series costs but I'd spend it if I thought you could ...

Anything to help build up your ability as a rider is worth it. Only thing is though you can be the best rider out there and a cager can take care of that from their negligence. Alot of my friends that dont ride and even some people that have seen me at the park that do ride are like WTF, but if they see me at the park just messing around and im almost willing to bet i can turn better on the fury than whatever bike they may have, probably stop better and can balance better for bumper to bumper. There is also the fact that if you are just doing drills its redundant and not quite reactive to where you build it much as an instinct reaction.

#15 ·

Welcome to Ride Like A Pro | Order your motorcycle instruction DVD's online

Best 30 bucks I ever spent on bike related stuff. I cut a bunch of tennis balls in half and practiced in an empty parking lot. Comes with diagrams for setting up. I use the techniques every time I ride.

#12 ·
On my way back from a ride the other day, I stopped at a church parking lot near my house and practiced for about 15 minutes. It was really kinda fun. I was doing figure “8’s” around light post and then doing tight turns around them. Just gotta make sure you don’t start getting dizzy. I think I will start making this a weekly routine. One day it may come in handy.

#14 · (Edited)
I need to practice a bit more to get as good as this guy though Im DAMN GOOD ALREADY! LOL!

Been using these tricks for a few years never/barely using front brake turning at slow speeds, especially with the FURY!
Watched a friend of mine go down in front of me due to front brake on right turn he shattered his elbow I HAD TO GET HELP FOR HIM!

Its hard to know what will happen in the REAL WORLD and BIKES! I say always be looking for a exit route or safe spot! And always ASSUME THEY DONT SEE YOU!

#18 ·
Secret police techniques

My appologies for the length. Skip if easily bored. I emailed Motorman Jerry who produced the video and asked why these techniques aren't more widely taught since they are included in every motor officer school on the planet. He responded the same day:

''Is this some kind of world wide Motor Officer Secret''? Not anymore.
When I finished my Motor Officer training my riding improved so much, I was amazed that no one else knew about this type of training besides the Police. I asked some trainers why this type of thing wasn't offered to the public. They said, “most people are afraid to drop their own bikes so they wouldn't take this type of course”. I figured they were correct, but I knew that the main thing was learning to use the three techniques to the fullest extent and in a simple, easy to follow manner.

With lots of experimentation with my friends, I found that the techniques could be learned faster, safer and with much less chance of dropping their bike, by moving the exercises from 18ft to 24ft. It worked so well that 43 Police agency's around the country now use my dvd and training techniques to train their Officers. They start at 24ft and move down to 18ft after a couple of days of training. They found that instead of washing out half the students 98 percent make it, and injuries went way down. Other Motormen tell me they thought about doing what I did but I got off my ass and did it

I also had an advantage; before I became a Cop, I was a nightclub entertainer for 11 years so I was at ease in front of the camera and live audiences. I'm now one of the lucky few who can say I love my job. It's a wonderful feeling to be able to help so many people. I count my blessings every day

Jerry

#19 ·
When I got my first road bike 30+ years ago my uncle set me up with a patrol officer Friend of his to teach me how to ride on the street (I think it was a request of my mother) he showed me this and many other techniques. With the slow tight turns I had this habit sticking out my foot out, a habit I got from being a dirt biker, but i finally got it.

I haven't tried to see how tight I can make slow turns with the Fury, but with the VTX I scraped the pegs a few times

#21 ·
here in manitoba, canada to get your license you have to do a written test and then pay $360 to take a 12hr motorcycle course so 2 days they supply the bike 500cc buells and your in the parking lot for 2 days doing alot of those technics seen in the video. tight circles sometimes with four bikes in there at once, figure 8's, 90 degree turns, swerving 100% stopping in a curve and straight. it's funny our instructors all with 20 years riding experience would all say you know on a sunday cruise night and the parking lot is full and you see all those old harley guys pull into the parking lot moving the bike with there feet you guys don't want to be those guys. and they said the same thing only use clutch, back break,and gas and keep your head up. nice thing is if you pass the insurance part of the drive test you get 1/2 you money back. so in reality didn't really cost that much.

#22 ·
Ride like a pro does size matter??

Ordered the video/book combo on Thursday morning; found them in the mailbox today (Saturday) morning; great customer service. I've only had time to skim the book; haven't even cracked the dvd yet but the techniques/info look great; can't wait to try some of the practical exercises. One thing of note: he has some customer questions and answers; one is "I ride a XXX-type bike; will the techniques work with my bike?" He states that his techniques will work with any bike except maybe choppers.

He uses an example of the bikes involved in his first motor officer training with the Florida states patrol, and I quote here: "The course was set up for HD Road Kings and Electra Glides, which have a 63.5 in wheelbase and a 26 degree rake. [His] Honda Ace Tourer had a 65.5 inch wheelbase and a 32 degree rake." "...the HD's would turn easily with the 18-foot motor officer exercises, the Honda left me NO ROOM for error." [my italics]

Since we ride a bike with a 71" wheelbase; 3.6" trail and 32-degree caster (is caster and rake the same thing??), obviously our turning radius limitations will undoubtedly affect our turning radii, I was concerned with just HOW MUCH and what effect our chopper-STYLE bikes would have on the whole deal.

I feel pretty confident that his techniques and info will help me become a more skillful rider, regardless of what bike I'm on, but I wanted his opinion on trying to emulate the exercises on a Fury, so I sent him an email asking exactly that; I included the wheelbase and relevant dimensions, as well as front and back tire size. I just sent it off this morning; was kind of hoping for an answer by tonight but being Saturday didn't especially expect one and indeed no answer yet. But I'll be anxious to hear what he says.

Meantime; anyone tried any of his specific techniques or training exercises yet on a fury? Can we do those type of nice, tight 18-foot you-ee's? I'll be on the road later tonight so may not be able to check email for a day or two, but I'll post if he has an answer of interest to us.

Meantime, as stated, regardless, I think this stuff looks great, can't wait to begin trying some of it out [ESPECIALLY THE EYES-UP/SHOULDER'S UP TURNING] and [FRICTION ZONE WORK] even if it turns out the turn dimensions can't be precisely replicated on a fury.

This post has been deleted
#24 ·
Cool. I figure if I ever get the damn bike back lol and if my crappy-assed work schedule ever gives us some common days off, we could spend some afternoons spotting and critique-ing each other and working at becoming even better riders. Should be fun.

I'll supply the cut-in-half tennis balls; you supply the parking lot :D

#25 ·
Reply from Palladino ride like a pro head honcho

I was really delighted to get this response late tonight from Jerry Palladino of Ride like a Pro. More kudo's for the Fury yayyyyy!!!!

I wrote:

Subject: Honda Fury
To: "Jerry Palladino" <motorman857@yahoo.com>
Date: Saturday, April 24, 2010, 2:56 PM

Mr. Palladino,

Recently ordered and received your video and book package; superfast service, thx! Gotta quick question though. I haven't yet red thru the whole book, nor seen the video (just came this morning) but in skimming it at one point you make the comment the course will work for all bikes except maybe choppers. While the Honda Fury isn't a strict 'chopper' per se, it's kinda 'chopperish' I'd say. Wheelbase is 71.5"; caster is 38degrees; 3.6" trail; gotta skinny 21" front tire and a fatter rear - forget exactly now, 18" I think. Also forward controls that are a tad forward of where I like, but I can apply the rear brake without shifting body position.
In your opinion will I still be able to benefit from your course, even if possibly the bike won't do the same circles as a road king or whatever? I think there's still a great deal of benefit for me to be gotten from the course, but I'd very much like to know what you think. Thx,

Richard D. Scibetta
271 Indiana Avenue
Dayton, Ohio 45410
937-254-2885
sciric7@earthink.net
His answer:

The Fury is the best chopper I've ridden. Though it won't turn like a H.D.R.K. it will turn in about 24ft. I would start with the exercises at 28 to 30 ft though. Just move all of them out two to four ft and you'll do just fine.
Jerry

The Ride Like a Pro Team
Welcome to Ride Like A Pro | Order your motorcycle instruction DVD's online
Brief and to the point but a great answer :)

#27 ·
After taking the MSF course on a little Honda Rebel 250cc bike, then going straight to the Fury, pretty much anything I even remotely got good at in the class just went back to square one once i started trying it on the Fury. I am definitely going to order that DVD, already started trying a few things on my own. Mostly simple stuff like trying to come to a slow stop and see how long I can remain balanced before I hafta put a foot down. Yeah, even the best riders out there can get taken out by a cager, but still a good idea to always try to be better at handling your bike. I was even thinking about taking one of the "next step up" kind of classes through the MSF, but seeing if I can do it on my Fury instead of one of their bikes.

#28 ·
Stonewheel;"I ride a XXX-type bike; will the techniques work with my bike?" He states that his techniques will work with any bike [B said:
except maybe choppers[/B].

I learned the techniques from his video on a Honda ST1300. They work on the Fury as well. Some of the cone excercises might cause issues with custom choppers that suffer from wheel flop but not the Fury. The friction zone technique will work on anything.

This post has been deleted
#29 ·

Undoubtedly the techniques work on any motorcycle but your mileage may vary :rolleyes:. Just as in my provincial license testing the parameters need to be adjusted to the limitations of each motorcycle. Primary considerations for the testers are wheelbase and turning circle which vary considerably between these two motorcycles ;).

Rake and wheel base alone are 38° & 71.24" vs. 26° & 58.7".
I have to agree. This machine does not turn as easily as even a standard cruiser.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.