Honda Fury Forums: banner

Front brake dragging?????

4K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  ekd 
#1 · (Edited)
A guess i have a q for you tech savvy guys. Just the other day I was out for a cruise and i noticed that at low speed like less than 15 miles an hours it sounds almost like my front brake was dragging. Almost like when your car needs new brakes and rubs on the rotor. I looked at my front rotor and looks like no scarring or un-natural marks on rotor. Not sure if i can explain it completely correct or not but hopefully someone will understand what i am talking about. I dont think i am using my brakes in any way strange use a lot of engine braking letting the rpm's slow me down since the bike only has 300 miles on it. And when i use my brakes i use about 65% rear / 35% front. Any help/tips besides call the dealer which i am doing tomorrow i would greatly appreciate.

Cromwell

#3 ·
man don't worry. I have had three Honda cruisers in the past 4 yrs and ride them daily and they all do this.

#8 ·
I'll qualify this by first stating that if your brake pads aren't worn away and the brakes are in good shape, this type of brake noise is quite common, and the volume of it has many variables but the primary cause is the pad material. The pads for the most part ride in light contact with the rotor (although just minuscule) and the hydraulics simply push them tight against the rotor when you're "on" the brakes and let's 'em float when you're "off" the brakes. What little withdrawal movement there is when the pressure is "off" is barely noticeable, hence the rubbing sound. Lift the end of the bike that's of concern and spin the wheel by hand, if there's no brake drag, ride on.

#10 ·
My front break rubs as well and it drives me nuts. Not that concerned about it but I do feel it should not rub like that. Who wants to hear that when something as sweet as this bike pulls up to park. Thought mine just needed to be adjusted. I am surprised to hear this is normal but I havent owned a bike in years.

#12 ·
Mine does the same thing. As with all of my other bikes I've heard the same noise. On the three others the sound slowly went away as the pad's wore down from use. I'd expect the same from this bike.

As with percentage of front/rear break use is concerned I do wish the front had a little more stopping power. This too will probably get a little better as the pad's and rotor break-in, otherwise I will be looking for an upgrade kit (e.g. Brembo).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.