Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys,

i'm looking at my exhaust dream setup and i think i got it narrowed down to a l&m force air intake, accutronix adaptor, and possibly the hackers pipes clinster422 turned me on to. if anyone is using these hackers i'd be intrested in hearing how they like them. in black my combo would look something like this below... i think it would pair nicely with a black engine mod like bighitters: :cool:

my questions are
:

1) do some fuel controllers work better than others?
should i stick with hackers own anger management system (bottom right of their page)? i've also read good things about the pcV. i wasn't sure if mixing the brands of pipes and controllers matters or not.

2) when do i need to install the fuel controller?
here i think skappiris is saying it should be when i change the air cleaner. if this is the case and i install the cleaner first, then i wanted to be sure i pick the right controller upfront.

3) is it true the pair valve does not need to be removed?
i seem to read mixed results about this mod. it elimating popping for some but could give prob passing the inspection for emissions?

some of this might be dumb/redundent questions but i'm brand new to this and tend to ask alot when i'm in doubt... especially when its involving investing big $!

so thanks for any help or advice...

·
Registered
24 Posts
tuners

We've had good luck with running the PCV. It seams to have the most programable ability. We've also done quite a few of the Cobra Fuel controllers on customers FURY's but with the intake and exhaust setup that your going with I'm not sure that you would get the level of tunability that you would want. Just a couple thoughts, I hope that it helps.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm... i never thought about that. so definitely not all controllers are the same then. thnx.. sounds like one with the most variable programming is the safest bet.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I would say that if you are going to get your bike dyno'd then go with the PCV as it is more tunable than lets say the Cobra FC, but like I said in order to take advantage of it you'll need to get it dyno tuned. In case your not aware of the price difference, the Cobra costs about $200 and the PCV costs about $260-325, both can be found on eBay.

Pair valve: well a lot of people on here have blocked theirs off and taken them off, myself I still have mine on, I personally don't mind the popping when I let off the throttle or downshift when coming to a stop, reminds me of a truck with glass-packs which I dig, you might feel otherwise. If you are interested in doing the valve pair mod then just do a search on it through this website and it will explain what you need and all that great info, might even do a search anyways and it might have a better explanation of exactly what it is, what I typed is what I understand.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Dude, you're in Houston. You will have a much easier time getting it tuned that those of us who are out int the weeds. If you go PC V, you will sleep much better at night after you get it tuned.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
hmm... i never thought about that. so definitely not all controllers are the same then. thnx.. sounds like one with the most variable programming is the safest bet.
Fuel systems are prettymuch 2 styles PCV and the others (Cobra/Fuggin/Doebeck/AMS)

PCV you can plug in a value (for increase/decrease of fuel) for each breakdown of RPM and Throttle %

Cobra you adjust a knob for the amount of fuel through the variables like you would adjusting the float, idle mix, and jet sizes.

Cobra you can adjust on your own, PCV you gotta know tuning and best bet would be to have it on a dyno (pretty much cost of unit and you can tweak it in on your own if you have basic tuning knowledge)

since you have all the engine mods you will probably do complete (other then the AFT high performance kit) you would have to program it once then your done until you do another significant engine mod. Cost of unit +100-200 for tuning

PCV has shown more performance in Jimmy Farris's bike then the cobra, and has a more indepth breakdown allowing better tuning (and additional accessories) but cobra seems easier to DIY and overall cheaper

With Pair Valves I say if you have emissions it would probably help you pass so leave them in. If not to hook up Pipes/FC and intake you will need to be in the area anyways so if you dont mind a little popping leave them, If you got a couple extra bucks and are unsure block them off. Mine arnt blocked off and i get very little popping so it doesnt bother me

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Exhaust + Intake = Cobra style and others like it.

Exhaust + Intake + Engine mods = PCV

Just my two cents

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Exhaust + Intake = Cobra style and others like it.

Exhaust + Intake + Engine mods = PCV

Just my two cents
You want the best tune possible and PCV provides that. Jimmy Faris's bike showed the proof. You can do any of the mods with the Cobra style too, its just the method of the breakdown for fuel increases is different. If your going to change stuff here and there to where your going to have to retune more often then you want to financially put out a hundred or so bucks in tuning then go Cobra since you can tune it yourself.

If your doing everything at once and dont mind spending an extra 200 roughly overall then definatly go PCV.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
since i'm learning from scratch i plan on buying a service manual and hope to install the pipes and intake myself. but as far as electrical and tuning thats way above me... so i figure having the controller installed, tuned, and dyno'd by a shop.

so with that said i think it sounds like pcv is my best bet. and the pair valve i've decided to leave alone for now, wait till after the exhaust is complete and see how "bad" the popping is.

thanks everyone for your input on this... i hope within the next month to pull the trigger on this and order. i can't wait! i'll be sure to post some follow up pics when i do. :D

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
installing is easy, just remove the air intake and back engine head covers, put fmu by battery, fish wires through to throttle body, unhook the injectors harnesses and plug the FMU wires into the injectors (its unplugging 2 harnesses and pluging the FMU harness inbetween them) With PC-V you gotta tap the TPS signal wire and install the ground lead and they provide you with the instructions.

Tuning with the NON-PC-V is like setting a carb on a car. with the PC-V i would load a map like the Bubs to get you around for a short period of time until you can get an actual tune.

Exhaust and intake is just a swap so watch what bolts you take out and install, on intake watch all the hoses are hooked up. With exhaust make sure to install new gaskets

removing intake to put FMU on is the 4 bolts on cover, remove filter, remove lower bolt (by the point) and loosen 4 screws going into throttle body

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Exhaust is a big purchase. The more info you have the better.:)
you got that right dude.. my thoughts exactly!

..with the PC-V i would load a map like the Bubs to get you around for a short period of time until you can get an actual tune.
thanks for the walkthru on the installs dude.. that doesn't sound have bad at all!
i dont know much about mapping part but if thats all it takes i'm sure i can learn it as well.. like you said to get me around till i can get it tuned. good deal!

ya'll got me so hyped i might just swallow it and break out the credit card monday! lol

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What does that dude have tatted on his knuckles?
lmao... thats a homeless guy named Rufus from Bumfights. Wikipedia - "homeless men (most notably Rufus Hannah and Donnie Brennan) in the San Diego and Las Vegas metropolitan areas fighting and attempting amateur stunts in exchange for money, alcohol, and other incentives."

i've never actually watched the vids myself but a buddy had told me about it a few yrs back. yeah i know... i'm a sorry sack of sh!t, i can't help but laugh though. i got a sick sense of humor i guess. :D

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
lmao... thats a homeless guy named Rufus from Bumfights. Wikipedia - "homeless men (most notably Rufus Hannah and Donnie Brennan) in the San Diego and Las Vegas metropolitan areas fighting and attempting amateur stunts in exchange for money, alcohol, and other incentives."

i've never actually watched the vids myself but a buddy had told me about it a few yrs back. yeah i know... i'm a sorry sack of sh!t, i can't help but laugh though. i got a sick sense of humor i guess. :D

It's no worse than being a fan of Bubb Rubb.

I prefer "Who's next" for a tat. Right Rtrombone68?:cool:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
success

got my exhaust in this morning so today i hooked up the pcv and pipes. i had a little trouble figuring out the wiring on the pcv... but surprisingly she cranked right up first try and it was nice to have my car alarm go off, the stock never did that. :D

for now i took the advice and d/l the map for bubs exhaust and aftermarket air filter... but i found a tuning center nearby and plan to take her in soon to get fine tuned. after posting i'm going to try riding her around close to the house to see how she behaves.

just wanted to say thanks again to all those with the help and advice... below is some before and after pics.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts