Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2010 Fury that I bought last November in a private sale. It came with Cobra Swept pipes that I removed the baffles from. I added the VTX risers and a Cobra Fi Tuner. About a month ago I added a Scorpio Maverick alarm. After installing the alarm I took the bike out for a ride. I guess I did not get the left side cover on tightly and lost it on that ride. I also noticed that the bike started missing under hard acceleration that night. That is the topic of this post.

So I ride pretty hard sometimes, especially on the Tail of the Dragon here in East Tennessee. Usually when I have run it hard I notice it cutting out when I am able to reach higher speeds at a more full throttle. I thought maybe my Cobra Fi was the culprit so I turned off the key and then back on to reset it. This felt like it helped and I planned on eventually disconnecting the Cobra Fi to truly verify, but never got around to it. Yesterday I went on a ride on a really hot, sunny day. I stopped at a scenic location and the bike was in the sun. I noticed when I shut off the key the radiator fan was running so I know the engine was definitely warm. When I got back on the bike about 30 minutes later it started cutting out worse than I ever experienced before. It acted like it was running out of gas. I could start it and then it would sputter out and die, rinse and repeat over and over. I made it down the hill to a pull off and disconnected the Cobra Fi, but it made no difference. I checked my fuel lines and they all look good. I looked for the fuel filter and learned that it is inside the pump. I read several posts on here about the horizontal filter being an issue. My bike has just over 15k miles on it.

My question. Does this sound like the infamous filter issue or more like an electrical issue. When I called a reputable bike mechanic this morning he said maybe coils. He also said he was not familiar with Furys in general and thought this was beyond him. I am prepared to purchase a new fuel pump assembly with the horizontal filter inside of it if that will resolve it, but don't want to waste my money and time if it is something else.

Hoping some of the experts on this forum can chime in with their thoughts. I am happy to answer any questions to provide more detail if needed.

Thank you all in advance.

P.S: Obligatory photo of the bike.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
So I have a 2010 Fury that I bought last November in a private sale. It came with Cobra Swept pipes that I removed the baffles from. I added the VTX risers and a Cobra Fi Tuner. About a month ago I added a Scorpio Maverick alarm. After installing the alarm I took the bike out for a ride. I guess I did not get the left side cover on tightly and lost it on that ride. I also noticed that the bike started missing under hard acceleration that night. That is the topic of this post.

So I ride pretty hard sometimes, especially on the Tail of the Dragon here in East Tennessee. Usually when I have run it hard I notice it cutting out when I am able to reach higher speeds at a more full throttle. I thought maybe my Cobra Fi was the culprit so I turned off the key and then back on to reset it. This felt like it helped and I planned on eventually disconnecting the Cobra Fi to truly verify, but never got around to it. Yesterday I went on a ride on a really hot, sunny day. I stopped at a scenic location and the bike was in the sun. I noticed when I shut off the key the radiator fan was running so I know the engine was definitely warm. When I got back on the bike about 30 minutes later it started cutting out worse than I ever experienced before. It acted like it was running out of gas. I could start it and then it would sputter out and die, rinse and repeat over and over. I made it down the hill to a pull off and disconnected the Cobra Fi, but it made no difference. I checked my fuel lines and they all look good. I looked for the fuel filter and learned that it is inside the pump. I read several posts on here about the horizontal filter being an issue. My bike has just over 15k miles on it.

My question. Does this sound like the infamous filter issue or more like an electrical issue. When I called a reputable bike mechanic this morning he said maybe coils. He also said he was not familiar with Furys in general and thought this was beyond him. I am prepared to purchase a new fuel pump assembly with the horizontal filter inside of it if that will resolve it, but don't want to waste my money and time if it is something else.

Hoping some of the experts on this forum can chime in with their thoughts. I am happy to answer any questions to provide more detail if needed.

View attachment 240185
Sounds like the fuel filter to me. I wouldn't buy the entire fuel pump unit though, waste of money. Just upgrade the filter. I have a 2011 and although wasn't experiencing the "norm" I did it as preventative maintenance:

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'm having a fuel delivery issue with my 2016. Only fires up when I spray gasoline into the intake. Parts have been ordered.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I'm having a fuel delivery issue with my 2016. Only fires up when I spray gasoline into the intake. Parts have been ordered.
2012+ got the new filter system (vertical) so having the old style filter orientation likely isn't your issue. Could just be clogged.

Edit; Ah I didn't see your post in time on the other thread before responding

Reactions: Gizmo

·
Registered
308 Posts
First thing to do is remove your fuel filler cap and listen to see if you hear a sucking sound, like your tank is under a vacuum.

Next, try to start the bike and see if it starts and runs ok with the cap off.

If it runs normally with the cap off then your tank vent line is pinched or clogged.
Good thinking .... definitely 'out of the box'

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
You would be surprised at how often a pinched vent line is the problem.

As the fuel is being removed from the tank, *(by gravity) if air can't be introduced to the tank a vacuum is created within the tank. Once there is enough vacuum (negative air pressure within the tank) to stop the fuel in the tank from gravity feeding, the sump will no longer have fuel and the engine will shut off and not restart until the vacuum is broken by removing the fuel cap. Think of putting your finger over the end of a straw in your drink and lifting the straw up out of the glass. As long as you keep your finger tightly sealed onto the top of the straw the liquid remains in the straw. As soon as you remove your finger the vacuum is broken and the liquid dumps out. Same principle, remove the fuel cap and the vacuum is released and fuel immediately gravity feeds into the sump where the fuel pump can send it to the injectors.

If this happens while riding, it is often mistaken for running out of gas because the symptoms are the same, the bike will start to spit and sputter and eventually die.

*The fuel tank gravity feeds into the fuel pump sump ("bucket") where the pump then sucks the fuel up and pressurizes it and sends it to the injectors.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First thing to do is remove your fuel filler cap and listen to see if you hear a sucking sound, like your tank is under a vacuum.

Next, try to start the bike and see if it starts and runs ok with the cap off.

If it runs normally with the cap off then your tank vent line is pinched or clogged.
Stupid question: how do you remove the key from the fuel cap to start the bike?

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Stupid question: how do you remove the key from the fuel cap to start the bike?
Sometimes mine is a pain about that. You just need to make sure the cap is fully seated by pushing on both sides and the key will pop back to the insert/remove position all on its own.

Reactions: Gizmo

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright, I went ahead and got a new pump assembly rather than the filter kit. After reading the walkthrough I did not want to have to do this a second time. Got a 30% discount as well, so no complaints there. Couldn't find the fuel line clamps anywhere so I bought a pair of chain crimp tools and they worked great. Fought with that fuel injection line quick disconnect for far too long, so much for being a quick disconnect. Once I got that I was able to pull the pump out through the top quite easily. emptied the pump into a pan and poured mud out of it. I have never seen such dirty gas. No wonder it stopped last week. Put the new pump in and primed it, then put everything back together. Took it for a test ride and it is 1000 times better than ever. Reconnected the Cobra Fi tuner and cannot complain one iota.
Thank you for the tech write up @krashDH it was a lifesaver.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Glad it helped and you're back on the road!

·
Registered
21 Posts

View attachment 240185
That is the look I will be going for soon. Love it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts