Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I will try to go over the steps for the fuel pump replacment as I promised I would. .... Here goes.

Pic # 1 Remove left side panel and the pump is nessled in an area and virtually impossible to access for anyone with big hands!!!

Pic #2 I removed the rear seat and rear fender

Pic #3 I then removed the rear wheel

Pic # 4 Here's the mono shock that also must be removed.

Pic # 5 Shock removed and now you can see and easily access the pump!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Pic #1 Here is the electrical connector on the pump. To relieve the pressure, unpllug this connector, start the bike and let idle until it stalls out. Then unhook the negative on the battery.

Pic # 2 You must then remove the fuel tank

Pic #3 SQUEEZE the green releases on the main fuel line to the pump (very hard to get the quick connect to release!) , remove this line and then the two others noting where they came off. Keep the quick connect covered with a cloth or plastic baggy.

Pic # 4 Two bolts with rubber grommets are removed to take out the pump.

Pic # 5 Here is the old pump. The green connector is then slid off to the side and carefully remove the rubber below. These will attach to the new pump if you are replacing. If it is just the filter you are doing, leave them on.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Pic #1 Here is a closer look at the quick disconnect on the pump.

Pic #2 If replacing the pump, these grommets must come out and be put on the new pump.

Pic #3 New pump ready to go back in.

Pic #4 New pump installed!

Pic #5

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

Pic #1 Hard to see but I took apart old fuel pump and there were two obvious problems #1 The outside O-ring was blown out!~ This could have been the pressure problem. See how it is stretched!

Pic # 2 Problem #2 ... Hard to see but the gas in the filter looked like MUD and had a lot of white particles floating!!! YUCK,.

Pic #3 Can you say "WHITE SAND-LIKE CREATURES"???

Pic #4 Dirt coming out of the filter

Pic #5 Another shot of the expanded "O-ring" and the muddy gas!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Now that everything is connected,

Pic # 1 I re-installed the fuel tank and put some gas in it. Then you
#1... turn on the key and let the fuel pump light go off...DO NOT START THE BIKE! Do this 3-4 more times to pressurize the pump. Then I started the bike and let it run, checked for any leaks in my connections and had none.

Pic # 2 Put the shock back in, wheel back on fender back on all the other stuff back on and .... Well, it ran 100 miles this afternoon with absolutely NO PROBLEM! YEAH!

Pic #3 Hard to see but I dumped what was left in the old pump into a clear container. The partcles are really hard and WHITE in color????

If you are dealing with the fuel pump YOU REALLY NEED THE RIGHT TOOLS, ABOUT 5 HOURS OF TIME AND A SHOP MANUAL!!!!

There you go. Bike runs like new again and I learned more about her.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,184 Posts
A lot of great info, hope I don't have to cross this bridge !!!!
I wonder if the new pump has the upgraded filter that Clueless was referring to?!?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Very good write up Jim...I know it has been mention before but don't know if it was anwser...Is there a way or place to install a extra in-line fuel filter???

·
Premium Member
6,184 Posts
Clueless didn't you post about a different filter design ?!?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Clueless, if I saw as many as you I could find some about as bad!!! Do you think the O-ring could have been the pressure problem? Your opionion is GOLDEN! I actually poured out the fuel before I thought about saving it for the picture. That was what was left in the bottom.

In line filter before pump may help here I would think. Also, don't gas up in a "Two Holer" !

·
Registered
759 Posts
Your gas looks like ass :D

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very good write up Jim...I know it has been mention before but don't know if it was anwser...Is there a way or place to install a extra in-line fuel filter???
The main fuel line about 10" or so. I think there is room to install an in-line filter toward the rear of the underside of the tank. Really, if I planned on keeping the Joker I would have done that.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
The main fuel line about 10" or so. I think there is room to install an in-line filter toward the rear of the underside of the tank. Really, if I planned on keeping the Joker I would have done that.
Thanks Jim, all this info is golden, I think I'll be installing that extra filter in the near future.

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
Clueless, if I saw as many as you I could find some about as bad!!! Do you think the O-ring could have been the pressure problem? Your opionion is GOLDEN! I actually poured out the fuel before I thought about saving it for the picture. That was what was left in the bottom.

In line filter before pump may help here I would think. Also, don't gas up in a "Two Holer" !
The pump I showed is from wulewicz's bike, it is the worst I have seen, we have done a few on 4-wheelers. The oring doesn't look damaged, it may have popped out when you took it apart, hard to tell, I would expect fuel gushing out if that was bad. More likely the pump was/is damaged from that crunchy white stuff, and that was the pressure problem.

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
that white stuff and black specs were the exact thing I found in mine when I removed it.....btw, I didn't remove the tire....just loosened the doololly on the right and wiggled the pump free and out.....yeah, I know, I'm a technical genius.....:D:D:D:eek:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts