Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone knew the socket size to remove the fuel reserve sensor on the tank?

·
Registered
511 Posts
I was wondering if anyone knew the socket size to remove the fuel reserve sensor on the tank?
I replaced my sensor about a year ago when it quit working at 32k.

I don't recall what size it was but it was a common metric, possibly 14mm ?!?...

I was able to R & R without having to drain the tank OR disconnect any of the lines by doing the following ;

I rode the bike till it had very little gas left, maybe 1 quart max.

I wedged and secured the front wheel perfectly straight so there was no chance the handlebars would rotate in to the tank as I pulled the tank straight back.

I lowered the tank ( wrapped in a soft towel) on to a low chair with the front of tank down low so gas will pool away from the threaded hole where the sensor was.

No need to disconnect any of the lines.

I did spray a small amount of silicone on the rubber grommets to allow the tank to easily slide back into place.

The procedure went smoothly, I don't think it would be a good idea to try and replace it without removing tank.

Hope this helps !

·
Registered
308 Posts
I replaced my sensor about a year ago when it quit working at 32k.

I don't recall what size it was but it was a common metric, possibly 14mm ?!?...

I was able to R & R without having to drain the tank OR disconnect any of the lines by doing the following ;

I rode the bike till it had very little gas left, maybe 1 quart max.

I wedged and secured the front wheel perfectly straight so there was no chance the handlebars would rotate in to the tank as I pulled the tank straight back.

I lowered the tank ( wrapped in a soft towel) on to a low chair with the front of tank down low so gas will pool away from the threaded hole where the sensor was.

No need to disconnect any of the lines.

I did spray a small amount of silicone on the rubber grommets to allow the tank to easily slide back into place.

The procedure went smoothly, I don't think it would be a good idea to try and replace it without removing tank.

Hope this helps !
Thank you for future help

·
Registered
511 Posts
I replaced mine also.This was best price I could find.
Don't order the "O" ring sensor comes with it.
View attachment 240234
I hate it when that happens...

I ordered mine at the Honda parts counter and supplied the part #'s to the parts guy.

Got lucky with a skilled parts guy who informed me it comes with a new O-ring / gasket before he special ordered it.

My theory on how often they go bad is based on how often you get low on fuel and it activates.

With the small tank fuel capacity of the Fury (3.5 gallon ) I use the tripmeter and the low fuel light and take it to the edge regularly.

I admit it...I ran out of gas about 3 times when I 1st bought it until I got with the program.

668 pounds.. you don't feel it until you push it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I hate it when that happens...

I ordered mine at the Honda parts counter and supplied the part #'s to the parts guy.

Got lucky with a skilled parts guy who informed me it comes with a new O-ring / gasket before he special ordered it.

My theory on how often they go bad is based on how often you get low on fuel and it activates.

With the small tank fuel capacity of the Fury (3.5 gallon ) I used the tripmeter and the low fuel light and take to the edge regularly.

I admit it...I ran out of gas about 3 times when I 1st bought it until I got with the program.

668 pounds.. you don't feel it until you push it.
True that, been there .... ESPECIALLY when you have to push up backwards when you 'mistakenly' parked it nose in/down in a parking spot. (Aren't they suppose to level these parking lots!)

·
Super Moderator
3,466 Posts
I'm on reserve every tank given how much fuel is still in the tank (pushing it to the last ounce is kind of a nerve-wracking game at times). Bulb works!

Looks like I'll be burning out a sensor in the near future...

--
Tails of my Trailer Park Lows
The new meth lab in the park blew up Saturday afternoon. Police taped it off and camped out here until Monday morning. It's amazing how much both things significantly impacted the life of people here--like when you turn on the kitchen light at 2 AM and the roaches scamper to hide under the refrigerator.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone for responding, it actually took a 27mm socket to get the fuel sensor out. I was battling a rusted tank and a fuel pump that had gone out and was clogged with rust, but with 1 new fuel pump and a clean tank she cranked right up on the first try.

·
Registered
2010 Sabre of Fury
380 Posts
Damn, that looks really bad
I'm glad you got her back running, good job.
Did you upgrade to the newer vertical design?
Did you coat the inside of the tank with anything like POR15?
If not it will happen again but if that's a 9 year old bike it'll take a while.😉

·
Registered
511 Posts
Thank you everyone for responding, it actually took a 27mm socket to get the fuel sensor out. I was battling a rusted tank and a fuel pump
Wow, had no recollection it was a whopping 27 mm.

I probably used a large crescent wrench to remove mine.

Now we know !

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I honestly haven't even looked mine. But 27mm? Wow

Reactions: Gizmo
1 - 12 of 12 Posts