Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched around and couldn't find anything. Has anyone had an issue getting their cap to snap back into the tank? I unlocked the cap and now when i press it into the tank it won't release the key.

any ideas what one can do?

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
I searched around and couldn't find anything. Has anyone had an issue getting their cap to snap back into the tank? I unlocked the cap and now when i press it into the tank it won't release the key.

any ideas what one can do?

Thanks guys!
Mine is sometimes stubborn but I press it down a little harder and it will snap in place eventuallt.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine is sometimes stubborn but I press it down a little harder and it will snap in place eventuallt.
I'll try to push harder but I don't know how much more i can give. I about lifted myself off the ground pushing on it. It seems like the seal doesn't get pushed up far enough, bc I can release it by hand but not on the tank.
Hmmm...

·
Banned
353 Posts
I'll try to push harder but I don't know how much more i can give. I about lifted myself off the ground pushing on it. It seems like the seal doesn't get pushed up far enough, bc I can release it by hand but not on the tank.
Hmmm...
try a little WD40 in the latching part of the cap on the bottom, should take care of it.
Regards,
Dewking

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I've always had try mine twice.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
146 Posts
Are you sure you have it lined up right with the arrow pointing forward. It should pop right in and the key should automatically spring return to release position.

·
Registered
116 Posts
same problem here. i'm hoping someone makes a flush mount cap for it.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, I'll let it soak tomorrow.

Are you sure you have it lined up right with the arrow pointing forward. It should pop right in and the key should automatically spring return to release position.
Ya I had it lined up, it sat in there like it would have been closed but iy just wont snap closed.

Update: I did get it to finally snap closed and release the key, but I stood over the bike and picked my feet up off the ground by pressing down. I would say it needs a little help

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Thanks guys, I'll let it soak tomorrow.

Ya I had it lined up, it sat in there like it would have been closed but iy just wont snap closed.

Update: I did get it to finally snap closed and release the key, but I stood over the bike and picked my feet up off the ground by pressing down. I would say it needs a little help
if you still have warranty, i would take to the dealer and get it replaced

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Let me just put it to you this way... I bought a cap, and even was going to do a write up on what I was doing and the modification that I was planning.. that was a different brand (or same brand?) and had every intention to modify it, do what I had to do to make it right and fit right and look good.... One thing that I learned, in that... that cap needs to be correct, otherwise it will fold in your gas tank... So, do it right, and if so... report back here... would like to know if you succeeded... otherwise... I think the shape of the gas tank will take difference shapes, just make sure it is vented, otherwise... bad jooo jooo... yea, it sound encryptic... but, if you understand what I am saying, then you will know that you need to do some serious research on this and possibly spend some serious money on this to get it right UNFORTUNATELY... to get what you want... oh and FUCH YOU VENDORS FOR NOT PUTTING OUT ANOTHER GAS TANK CAP... SERIOUSLY, IS IT THAT HARD... oh... reader, now you might know how hard it is to get them to realize that we need a new gas cap...

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
This Sounds like it is going to end up being an issue :( I had to laugh a little when I saw this post as we had this exact problem on Friday. After we got all the tins put back on and filled her with gas, we had the same issue with the gas cap. We were pushing down on it so hard I was afraid of bending the tank. We'll try the wd40 and see if that corrects the problem.

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
I agree with RED.... Why can't a vendor come up with a good flush mount cap for this bike? Honda surely uses this latch design on others.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Never had a problem....weird.
This may be due to environment. If memory serves you moved out from AZ, correct? Its drier out there. I know mine was giving me problems when it sat over the winter last year. I couldnt get the cap to lock, or get the key out! I forget just how i tricked the cap into releasing the key while it was not in the tank, but i tore it apart and soaked the snot out of it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
if you still have warranty, i would take to the dealer and get it replaced
I took it to the local dealer, here in springfield there is only one. All they told me to do was soak it or last resort replace it and carry two keys with me all the time.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sticky gas cap

I too have recently had the same problem w my cap. Got my tins back from paint, put gas in the tank and tried & tried to get the cap to set & get the key to release, and finally after several tries, it worked. I too was worried that the amount of pressure I was applying and seeing the tank flex was a little un-nerving. Could it be the cold or humidity that is effecting the fit? Nevertheless, sounds like giving it a soak is the answer.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ya, in the end I soaked mine in PB Blasters overnight and the kept working it. Now i havent had a problem since.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Mine takes some extra "love" to get it on. I'll hit it with some seafoam deep creep.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
759 Posts
It's so macho pulling up to a gas station on a tricked out Fury chopper and then having to wrestle with the same type of gas cap that my wife had on her 1986 Honda Shadow...:(

1 - 20 of 28 Posts