Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else having problems with their powder coating on Fuggin exhausts?Went to wash my bike over the weekend and noticed an area where it had started to bubble up and chip a bit. It is an oval that is probably 2 inches by 1 inch. I'm surprised, because I have only put about three hundred miles on the bike since adding the exhaust. Working with Doug at Fuggin to remedy it now.
Here are a few pics:
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Doug is taking care of me on this. They are sending me a new exhaust. Doug said that it was probably caused by an exhaust leak.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ceramic problem - Exhaust Port Leak

We are working with chopped to replace his pipes. This is the result of an exhaust port leak. We talked about how the pipe and motor can get hot with-out the right fuel mixture and how running a fuel controller is important to get the right fuel mix. But burning thru 1400deg ceramic is caused by an exhaust port leak. When changing to any aftermarket exhaust you should always check for leaks. Changing too new gaskets is always recommended to insure that the exhaust seats in the exhaust port. Also re-checking after riding 8 to 10 hours, re-tighten the nuts/bolts. If you have a fuel controller, aftermarket pipes and your bike is backfiring it most likely you have an exhaust port leak.

The easiest way to check for this is by holding a lighter near the exhaust port with the motor running. The flame will be sucked in toward the port if there is a leak.

Also one other thing to note, your bike should be completely cool before washing. Cold water and hot motors and exhaust don’t mix.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The easiest way to check for this is by holding a lighter near the exhaust port with the motor running. The flame will be sucked in toward the port if there is a leak.
Nice tip i didn't know that. thanks for the info. i'll have to check mine tonight make sure they are on with no leaks .

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, the lighter trick is a good one. Putting new gaskets on mine when the new pipes show up. I had checked for leaks after install and after I tightened it all back up after 8 hours of riding, but I guess I missed something.

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
The old exhaust port gaskets are a real treat to remove..
They are smashed in there pretty good from the pipes being torqued in.
The rear exhaust port was the hardest..

I used a very small flat bladed screwdriver (small metal jeweler) and had to tap it into the back of the gasket to pry it out.:eek:
Had the GF holding the flashlight..

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was going to ask the dealer what they use to get them out.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I was going to ask the dealer what they use to get them out.
They most likely use a gasket puller which you can find at a auto parts store for less than $10... it has a screwdriver handle and the tip is curved with a point. It allows you to get back in the opening and pry. They also most likely use a small chisel to crimple the casket a little. We use then for pulling cotter pins as well... it is a multi purpose tool in the Navy.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just pulled mine out. Used a dental pic and a screwdriver.

·
Registered
470 Posts
They most likely use a gasket puller which you can find at a auto parts store for less than $10... it has a screwdriver handle and the tip is curved with a point. It allows you to get back in the opening and pry. They also most likely use a small chisel to crimple the casket a little. We use then for pulling cotter pins as well... it is a multi purpose tool in the Navy.
I use a coat hanger hook with the end sharpened a bit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts