Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering to buy a new motorcycle helmet.
I have heard multiple reasons why a full-face is worse than a open face helmet. Some of which are: You have limited visibility with the full-face.
As for me, I have wrecked before and my head almosr touched the groun while I used a open face helmet.So this time,I want to try Full Face Motorcycle Helmet.
What do you think and any recommend?
Any advise about this dot motorcycle helmet from hex auto parts? Not expensive but looks nice,just what I need.https://www.hexautoparts.com/6-color-dot-motorcycle-helmets-dual-sport-flip-up-modular-motocross-full-face-helmet-for-sale-with-m-l-xl-size.html
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Recommending a street modular

I can't say enough good things about a modular helmet (the whole front flips up and becomes open face). Easy off and on, talking, refueling. Be sure and get one that is not MX style where the visor will catch air and you will constantly be fighting wind. Prepare to spend at probably $100 when on sale. The one I am wearing is from Cycle Gear. Don't know if there is a store near you but they have a web presence and they ship. Bilt is there house brand CYCLEGEAR.COM , they have smoke shields in stock and lots of features on there helmets.. No offense, but I get a very bad vibe about the helmets in your link (auto parts supply, calling it a MotoCross helmet,lack of support,parts, fit ?).

good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Full face all the way. Just bought this one, best helmet I have ever had. Light, style and it fits amazing, very comfortable

·
Registered
281 Posts
My preference is full helmet.
Vision is not an issue, including peripheral
Wind protection is so much better
I can wear a dark shield so cages can't see me making faces and swearing at them :D

Side note: I do own a brain bucket covered in stickers for those trips to the store when it's 90 degrees out tho

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Full face for me. Also, the face flips up, and then the visor flips up separately. Kinda handy when in cold weather and I'm going slow and need a small venting to keep from fogging up.

Truth be told, I have a half helmet for around town, but that's 35mph max. If I hit the highway, like heading to work, it's full face all the way.

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Ditto to all the above. I ride an HJC modular and love it. Vents pretty well and provides great visibility and protection. My advice... try on several brands and get one that really fits and is comfortable. If it don't fit... you won't wear it. Spend a few extra bucks to get the comfort AND the safety. :winetime:

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm also a big fan of the modular helmet - I bought a Nolan N-44 last year and it's a huge upgrade from my old Speed & Strength full-face. It has tremendous visibility because of the large face shield, and tons of flexibility with five or six different possible configurations. It works great for me because I'm a full-time RV'er and don't have a lot of space for the three different helmets I'd love to have.

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts
Full face, Scorpion T1200 to be exact. I don't like the reduced visibility or noise reduction, but in the last wreck I had, with an open face, I DID eat the street, breaking teeth off. Not fun. And I'm too pretty to grow a beard if I gash up my mug.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
i have a shark raw and a half helmet, half helmet only for boiling hot days on short journeys, they are pain in azz for lifting at front and pulling your head off at speed. shark raw looks after my good looks and I wear that 99% of time.

Attachments

Reactions: Hillzz

·
Registered
5,202 Posts

I can't say enough good things about a modular helmet (the whole front flips up and becomes open face). Easy off and on, talking, refueling. Be sure and get one that is not MX style where the visor will catch air and you will constantly be fighting wind. Prepare to spend at probably $100 when on sale. The one I am wearing is from Cycle Gear. Don't know if there is a store near you but they have a web presence and they ship. Bilt is there house brand CYCLEGEAR.COM , they have smoke shields in stock and lots of features on there helmets.. No offense, but I get a very bad vibe about the helmets in your link (auto parts supply, calling it a MotoCross helmet,lack of support,parts, fit ?).

good luck.

+1 for Cycle Gear. I bought my first HJC helmet some years ago from Cycle Gear in Hayward CA in a close out sale (last years colours and graphics). It was $50 inc tax for a CL-16.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Here's mine -- full face with removable chin bar in the foreground and a couple of my 3/4 in the background.
I don't use a shield - on the bike or helmet; just the way I grew up. But, the full faces tend to be cooler in the summer than the 3/4 helmets that get a hot spot right on top of my head because there are no vents in most 3/4. This full face has a LOT of ventilation up top (see picture).

·
Registered
367 Posts
T, I do have a similar skull bucket. DOT approved but a cheap helmet and it serves only one purpose, period: When I am test riding a used motorcycle so I can hear all the sounds coming from the bike when riding.
It actually helped me in two different occasions where I was able to hear and spot issues which I probably wouldn't have heard with a full face helmet.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts