Honda Fury Forums: banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've always used a full face modular helmet.
I just ordered a half face helmet..
I think a major difference would be the weight of the helmet.
If the open face helmet is DOT certified, then it shouldn't be an issue..
Or is my assumption wrong??

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,979 Posts
D.O.T. is minimum standards, they certify an armored kippa as "good enough."

SNELL is real-world safety, like when a driver is about to go pavement surfing with their face.

My helmet? When I wear one, it's a WW-II pilot's helmet (I got to pick the sheep). My sunglasses probably provide as much protection, so no judgement here as to what you should get.

Attachments

·
Registered
247 Posts
I am considering to buy a new motorcycle helmet.
I have heard multiple reasons why a full-face is worse than a open face helmet.
Daniel, this is a very difficult questions to answer too many variables. After 40 years of riding some 30 different motorcycles I have come to some conclusions hope they help.
-The more helmet you wear the greater the protection and the more isolated you are from the environment.
- Wear a helmet that at minimum is DOT approved.
- Never Never Never wear a helmet that is for NOVELTY use (a favorite among HD riders).
-The only SNELL approved helmets are full face not modular.
I have as of now about excluded the 2 for passengers at least 8 for myself, from 1/2 helmets all the way to a NOLAN yellow modular.
I use what ever will make me comfortable at that moment with complete understanding of its protecting limits.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
I've always used a full face modular helmet.
I just ordered a half face helmet..
I think a major difference would be the weight of the helmet.
If the open face helmet is DOT certified, then it shouldn't be an issue..
Or is my assumption wrong??

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk
This graphic shows the whole story.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Full face for me. Also, the face flips up, and then the visor flips up separately. Kinda handy when in cold weather and I'm going slow and need a small venting to keep from fogging up.

Truth be told, I have a half helmet for around town, but that's 35mph max. If I hit the highway, like heading to work, it's full face all the way.
I bought this one and I like it.

As much as I wanted an open face, I feel I may as well not wear one, which let's face it, the best feeling on a cruiser is no helmet but it's just too crazy out there.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
If you like the taste of handlebars, cars and or pavement, go with the open face brain bucket.:biggrin:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've owned a Fury for 8 years. I've been riding a lot longer than that. I never wore a helmet. Didn't like them, My state (IL) doesn't require them.
That Being said, Ive decided that with all the distracted driving going on, texting and crap, Now is a prudent time to start. I feel like my head needs to be on a swivel, looking for a missile.
I bought a Modular helmet, I like the many options it gives you. However, I do lose peripheral vision with the helmet. I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually, as I am committed to riding with one now.

·
Septuagenarian Rider
4,151 Posts

I do lose peripheral vision with the helmet.
Gotta step up your mirror checks and shoulder checks. I know I have. Two wheel survivor for 56 years :surprise: Make sure you have good convex mirrors adjusted so you can just barely see your shoulders. Factory mirrors are probably the safest (best coverage).

·
Super Moderator
2,979 Posts
Welcome Jake! Some helmets have more visibility than others, and they're not necessarily expensive. Squirrel has a flip-up one that has great visibility, built-in sun shield, and tons of other features, plus was affordable, but it weighs more...

I don't wear a helmet, but have strongly considered it on many occasions. I do wear armored clothing in Winter, and am moving towards a hard lid also.

Again, welcome to the forum, lots of great people here.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
I own 2 helmets full face for safety because I'm to good looking to get gravel rash face >:) , the other is half helmet I only wear on scorching hot days if only traveling mile or two and traveling slow because at 70/80 mph those damn things try pulling your head off.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My wife wrecked her bike one week after she got her endorsement and a full face saved her beautiful face as well as the protective gear she was wearing. I came off of sport bikes and sport touring bikes before I got the Fury and have used Shoei full face helmets for years. The advantage of a full face on a "naked" bike like the Fury negates the need for a windscreen for most legal speeds. :>) The better the helmet the lighter it is and the better the ventilation is for those long rides. Have fun!

·
Premium Member
2,784 Posts
Full face here. I've done partials, wrecked a few times, and that last time I lost some teeth, so I just always ride full now. And yeah, I, too, am too pretty to grow a beard.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts