Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry I havent been around last few days,,weather here has been perfect and Ive been riding. My question is I have never wore a full face helmut til I got my Fury,,one reason was riding in cold weather and the other was the wind pounding my face took without a full helmut. After toying with both and today being the best day to ride the Fury with a half helmut and trying to get a better picture of the Blvd screen to see it it actually will benefit putting it on I have come to this. I was partial to the half helmuts for along time with a good set of UV goggles was the way to go for me,,since i have changed my opinion,,maybe in short trips around town on a not so dense and windy day Ill wear my half,,but man I have to say,,wearing the full with the Blvd screen I feel nothing,,no beating like I took today. ANyone else have an opinion on this?:D

·
Registered
66 Posts
No Helmet

Sorry I havent been around last few days,,weather here has been perfect and Ive been riding. My question is I have never wore a full face helmut til I got my Fury,,one reason was riding in cold weather and the other was the wind pounding my face took without a full helmut. After toying with both and today being the best day to ride the Fury with a half helmut and trying to get a better picture of the Blvd screen to see it it actually will benefit putting it on I have come to this. I was partial to the half helmuts for along time with a good set of UV goggles was the way to go for me,,since i have changed my opinion,,maybe in short trips around town on a not so dense and windy day Ill wear my half,,but man I have to say,,wearing the full with the Blvd screen I feel nothing,,no beating like I took today. ANyone else have an opinion on this?:D
Don't wear helmet unless it is mandatory by state law. Makes for a much more comfortable ride.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Don't wear helmet unless it is mandatory by state law. Makes for a much more comfortable ride.
Lol. This was my riding philosophy also for over 4 decades, but if for no other reason than the insane increase in traffic over that time I have come to the point (kicking and screaming all the way :) that headgear is an essential survival tool today.

Thus, as I've stated in several previous posts I'm going to make a serious effort this summer for the first time in my life to make a full-face helmet a habit when I ride. Honestly don't know if I'll be successful but I'm going to try.

Gotta add also that as a trucker, I'm stunned at how many drivers over the last 15 years would have unknowingly run into my truck as they drive along the road like the dimwits they are had I not taken evasive action. And any idiot that can accidentally HIT a 40-ton, 78-foot long, 13' 6" tall vehicle - this is the length of a ranch house driving down the road folks - if they can do that believe me they'll move into your space and squash you like a bug and stand there over your corpse with a blank look on their faces sayin' gosh where'd he come from?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well seeing I was a motorcycle instructor for many years in the Marines,,and I still ride on base,,PPE is a must,,NC has a must wear law,,but not my point,,I wanted to know anyones take on getting beat in the face wearing a half helmut vice a full helmut,,wont ever not wear a helmut, far as im concerned it crazy not to protect yourself. 65 mph on that bike the wind is sick,,general cruising isnt bad but I felt like the full helmut was better for me,,not wearing one isnt, but thanks for sharing.:D

·
Registered
183 Posts
I was getting beat up with both the full and half helmet. Right now I wear the half helmet just because of the comfort while cruising....Nothing like the wind in your face and the sun beating down on you.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I understand! It appears we may have some age comparisons. I started riding in 1970 with the purchase of a new Triumph T120R 650cc. I finally traded that in on a new 1990 FXSTC converted to SS powertrain in 2000. I still have it and runs good but front brakes seized.
In any case I usually ride with my club VNV m/c as a group. Don't have much of a problem with people cutting in or not seeing us. I do know this, having toured from one end of the country to the other, my neck, head, ears, etc. is beat after a long trip wearing a helmet. Probably because I have a wimpy neck??
I have learned over the years to anticipate and drive defensively.
With over 40 years on the road, never had an accident. So at my age if I have one it doesn't matter any more.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I understand! It appears we may have some age comparisons. I started riding in 1970 with the purchase of a new Triumph T120R 650cc. I finally traded that in on a new 1990 FXSTC converted to SS powertrain in 2000. I still have it and runs good but front brakes seized.
In any case I usually ride with my club VNV m/c as a group. Don't have much of a problem with people cutting in or not seeing us. I do know this, having toured from one end of the country to the other, my neck, head, ears, etc. is beat after a long trip wearing a helmet. Probably because I have a wimpy neck??
With over 40 years on the road, never had an accident. So at my age if I have one it doesn't matter any more.
I don't wear a full face helmet all the time but keep it with me more for riding on the 4 lanes at 80 mph to cover ground and if it rains you will kick yourself for not having one. :) Sounds like you're about my age, I'm 55 and been riding since the early 70's. :D

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Totally understand that Diesel,,and respect that,, I just wanted to know if anyone was feeling any difference in the Half vice the full as I have,,lol ill be 43 this year and have rode since I was 28,, but you said it right you have to drive defensively for sure,,eyes on all sides,,anticipate there move before they make it,,,thanks for riding safe all these years,,:D

·
Registered
12,884 Posts
IF I am going to wear a helmet for protection, it's the full facer all the way. I will never again wear a half helmet. I thought it would be great for visibility and comfort and all it did was try to fly off as it pulled my head back. What a waste of money. The full face is the best protection by far.

Now, for the rest of the story: Most of the time I am like Diesel. I really can't stand to wear any helmet at all. I have recently been introduced to the novelty helmet. It looks kind of like a half helmet, but it is not DOT approved. It's basically just a little plastic shell with a bit of foam inside. You sometimes forget you're wearing it because the wind doesn't try to rip it off your head. If I'm in a state that requires helmets, this is what I wear. Funny thing is, when I'm in the neighboring state that requires helmets, just about everyone I see on a bike is wearing the same thing. Either the cops don't know, or don't care.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I have a real hard time wearing full face helmets. I'm not really claustrophobic, but full face helmets bother me. That's one of the reasons I got rid of my crotch rocket. I don't even usually wear a motocross helmet when I ride my atv. I prefer no helmet, but I do have a couple of half helmets. It usually depends on where I'm going and for how long.

·
Premium Member
13,935 Posts
when in a state that allows it i dont wear a helmut.in va we have to wear one so i wear a half .i never could handle a full one because of a hearing problem.with a full lid i cant hear a thing.i started rideing in 62 when we didnt have to wear one and it was cool looking.i know they are safer but its hard to change an old dog.ride safe

·
Premium Member
4,475 Posts
I wear half helmets all the time. I am trying to get myself to try to wear a full face helmet for the added protection and keep telling myself this will be the year I am going to faithfully give it a try. I don't know why its so hard for my to wear the full face helmet because I do have a couple hanging around and I always wore them in my younger days while riding motor cross but I somehow can't get myself to do it nowadays while cruising the roads. I'm sure a full face would would be a lot more comfortable than the half shell and glasses on those subteen morning rides to work.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did any of you read what I wrote in my original post,,what I asked? lmao we all didnt have Fury's back in 1970,, I just wanted to know if any of ya had toy'ed with a full or half due to getting beat up by the wind,,lmao the half was brutal on me today,,more then ever,,for 3 weeks since getting the bike i had wore a full,,and there is a significant change and on long rides ill be wearing the Full,,my face took a beating,,without a helmut how does that change,,you still have nothing blocking the wind?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Did any of you read what I wrote in my original post,,what I asked? lmao we all didnt have Fury's back in 1970,, I just wanted to know if any of ya had toy'ed with a full or half due to getting beat up by the wind,,lmao the half was brutal on me today,,more then ever,,for 3 weeks since getting the bike i had wore a full,,and there is a significant change and on long rides ill be wearing the Full,,my face took a beating,,without a helmut how does that change,,you still have nothing blocking the wind?
ok, hers's my 2 cents worth. After riding 30 + years I am now deciding to go full face on my Fury. Most bikes that I rode had full windscreens or fairings which blocked the wind, bugs, rocks, etc.......the Fury doesn't block anything. I like the look of the Fury without a windscreen, and after riding it with a half helmet, holy crap, the wind will beat you severly, and bugs hurt at 70 mph. Full face helmets used to be quite heavy and seem to really wear you down after a long ride. Nowadays full face are as lite as half helmets and offer whole bunch of protection. I just purchased a Shoei RF-1000 and it is great, no buffeting from the wind, bugs don't hurt....:D I don't need to look cool anymore, just want to protect what looks I got left...ha. Hope this helps...............:cool:

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have a shorty and I have a full face. I have been riding for about 8 years and I don't know why that matters, but here's my comments. I started riding with nothing.. then, because my wife had a child, I decided to wear a shorty.

Guess what!! That shorty sucked worse than a whore with jagged teeth. I hated it, didn't want to wear it and often didn't. As was posted it always felt like it was going to fly off, for me it wasn't comfortable. I didn't buy a cheap one either.

My dad, who's been riding forever, sent me one of his full face helmets and some other protective gear. I reluctantly tried it... and as it turns out, I love full face helmets now. As a matter of fact, I also don't ride without my armored jacket. I feel a little more safe with them on.

For me when hauling arse down the express way or country roads, I feel much more comfortable with the full face helmet. I can see much easier, the helmet breaks the wind and keeps bugs from smacking me in the head. For me there is no other option.

Also, on days when it's 40 degrees or it's raining, I can still ride comfortably. Besides that, my health is more important than anything else. I'm not gonna let the stigma of a person who wears a full face helmet deter me from riding safely.

Full face for life!! Quite literally I guess!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok, hers's my 2 cents worth. After riding 30 + years I am now deciding to go full face on my Fury. Most bikes that I rode had full windscreens or fairings which blocked the wind, bugs, rocks, etc.......the Fury doesn't block anything. I like the look of the Fury without a windscreen, and after riding it with a half helmet, holy crap, the wind will beat you severly, and bugs hurt at 70 mph. Full face helmets used to be quite heavy and seem to really wear you down after a long ride. Nowadays full face are as lite as half helmets and offer whole bunch of protection. I just purchased a Shoei RF-1000 and it is great, no buffeting from the wind, bugs don't hurt....:D I don't need to look cool anymore, just want to protect what looks I got left...ha. Hope this helps...............:cool:
Thanks Long,,I was looking for that actually, I owned 3 touring bikes with full windsheilds and the Fury has no protection, so wearing the full helmut to me is by far the most comfortable on this beast that I can see, i wanted to know if anyone else was getting pounded by the elements besides me,,ego or not it wasnt fun today even though i was experimenting. thanks:D

·
Premium Member
1,967 Posts
I have both.. both DOT and Snell..

A novelty helmet in Cali with get you a $125.00 fine.. can't go there.

I wear the half helmet cruising around town, if I know I'm hitting the freeway it's a full face all the way..
Even around town in the evening I'll wear the full face since the damp ocean air can chill your face..

Funny thing about calling them Freeways here, prior to moving here I called them Highways.. (Mid-West thing)
When you explained directions to someone, you would say " take highway 70 to highway 270" etc.

I get to Cali and they don't even waste the energy on the words highway or freeway. They say "take the 5 to the 55, then take the 405 south"

Oh we were talking about helmets..
Yes, wear one.. full or half protect that mellon............:p

·
Registered
50 Posts
Last summer I got a half helmet, wanted to try it out while it was warm, I definately felt the difference, getting hit in the face with whatever was flying around out there, even sand and pebble being kicked up by passing trucks. When it cooled down I went back to the full-faced and i felt a big difference. Around here in New Jersey, you never see a biker with loud pipes using a full faced.... thats just the way it is

1 - 20 of 111 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.