Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Today I got my driver license, after a few months of taking lessons. So i'm totally ready for buying my first bike ;)

I was wondering how you guys think about buying a Fury as your first Cycle?
Am I Crazy or is it possible?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Serge,

It is not clear from your post.... Did you just get your driver license or just get your motorcycle endorsement?

My 2 cents.... If you are a brand new driver, buy a car first and learn the rules of the road. If you already know how to drive, and you meant that you just got your motorcycle endorsement, I would recommend finding a cheap 250 to learn on. I would spend at least a couple months riding before thinking about upgrading to a bigger bike. It's not impossible to start on a bigger bike, but you will get into much less trouble on a lighter, less powerful 250. And you will not be quite as upset when you drop it! (I guarantee you will drop the Fury if you get it as your very first bike)

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
If you have riding experience like quads or dirt bikes, than you will be fine on the fury. It is really up to you. Make the decision for yourself, but just be honest when judging your ability. There are a few guys on here that bought the fury as their first bike, maybe they will chime in.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Serge,

It is not clear from your post.... Did you just get your driver license or just get your motorcycle endorsement?

My 2 cents.... If you are a brand new driver, buy a car first and learn the rules of the road. If you already know how to drive, and you meant that you just got your motorcycle endorsement, I would recommend finding a cheap 250 to learn on. I would spend at least a couple months riding before thinking about upgrading to a bigger bike. It's not impossible to start on a bigger bike, but you will get into much less trouble on a lighter, less powerful 250. And you will not be quite as upset when you drop it! (I guarantee you will drop the Fury if you get it as your very first bike)

Good luck!

First of all thanks for your response!
Well i meant my motorcycle endorsement, in the Netherlands you've got 2 licenses 1 for Car and 1 for Motorcycle. Please excuse me for my English...

I've got my driverslicense(car) 15 years ago, I'm 35. And was planning to buy the Fury as a present for my 36th birthday :)

But indeed driving a motorcycle is something different, my instructor told me to try a Honda cb600 hornet. The hornet, at least the one in the netherlands has 100bhp. That's even a bit more than the Fury, but the fury weighs 100kg more.

Yeah dropping the bike is something that I'm worried about. I thought about your idea, but if I buy a "cheap" bike and drop it, I'll still have to get it repaired or accept the decreased worth of the bike when trying to sell it.

So wouldn't it be the same if I dropped the fury(with pain in my heart..) and than had it repaired. Ok the fury will probably be a bit more expensive, but hey we live only once :)

Btw you guys are in luck in the States, the fury is going to cost 16700 euro in the Netherlands... Thats almost 23000 dollars...

·
Registered
710 Posts
I agree with the previous posts........the Fury is a "little top heavy" (compared to others) and if you are just now starting to drive (ride????) you may want to start with a used, lighter unit and gain some experience. My first scooter years ago was the Yamaha V-Star 1100. Great unit and reliable as well. You can find them used for very few bux right now. Just my 0.02 worth of advice.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi All,

Today I got my driver license, after a few months of taking lessons. So i'm totally ready for buying my first bike ;)

I was wondering how you guys think about buying a Fury as your first Cycle?
Am I Crazy or is it possible?
i was in a similier situation when i first got my cycle license every told me start with a small bike , well i did i bought a suzuki 500 cc an after 3 weeks i was ready to cell my bike for a bigger stronger bike ,it was a waste of money for me i should have started on a bigger bike , i would jump ride on the fury an just stay local at first go slow get use to the bike an i believe u will be fine , if it was a fight an u said hhhmmmmm should i fight the white belt or fight the black belt , well n that case fight the white belt if ur just starting but with bikes it really doesnt take much practice b4 ur ready to ride the big boys , either way u decide ride safe ride cautious an u be k

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
First of all thanks for your response!
Well i meant my motorcycle endorsement, in the Netherlands you've got 2 licenses 1 for Car and 1 for Motorcycle. Please excuse me for my English...

I've got my driverslicense(car) 15 years ago, I'm 35. And was planning to buy the Fury as a present for my 36th birthday :)

But indeed driving a motorcycle is something different, my instructor told me to try a Honda cb600 hornet. The hornet, at least the one in the netherlands has 100bhp. That's even a bit more than the Fury, but the fury weighs 100kg more.

Yeah dropping the bike is something that I'm worried about. I thought about your idea, but if I buy a "cheap" bike and drop it, I'll still have to get it repaired or accept the decreased worth of the bike when trying to sell it.

So wouldn't it be the same if I dropped the fury(with pain in my heart..) and than had it repaired. Ok the fury will probably be a bit more expensive, but hey we live only once :)

Btw you guys are in luck in the States, the fury is going to cost 16700 euro in the Netherlands... Thats almost 23000 dollars...
I agree with everything djdiscman said above, Serge. Start out on something smaller, lighter, more manuverable, and certainly less expensive; what we call a "beater". You'll thank yourself later. When I was still in the business, I use to try to discourage new riders from buying the biggest, the fastest, the most expensive machines they could afford, knowing that with their minimal level of experience, it was probably going to end in disaster. There is definitely a "learning curve" associated with mastering these two-wheeled machines, and a freshly-printed motorcycle permit is, more than anything, just a license to learn; not an endorsement of proficiency. Get a smaller bike and then we'll talk again in six months; I'm sure, by then, you'll agree.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Just get what you want and control it with your right hand. You will hate the smaller bike in two weeks.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
It's my first bike. I think it's a great first bike. It's not too fast and not too slow. Just right. Cornering is fine and long rides aren't too bad.

If you get it, be careful with it. But that goes for any bike you'd get. Be safe and goodluck!

·
Premium Member
13,719 Posts
my daughter started with a fury.hasnt looked back,and rides it like she stole it.keep the rubber on the ground.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The only downside to the Fury as a first bike is that it is a little longer than most and it takes some time to adjust to the turning radius. I would go with the Fury, use your head instead of your right hand and get used to the feel of this bike.

Be slow and be careful and after a short while you and your Fury will become one.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I think you'd be alright already taking the class. Just remember what they taught you. You might think its useless, but when you're actually out there on the road, it starts to make sense

·
Registered
20 Posts
I started out on an old Magna 750. I think it was the best choice I ever made. I honestly think everyone that rides has at least one accident -- whether its just dropping the bike or something more serious. For me it was a deer (sliced the bad boy right in half on a country road)

Anyways, I got used to riding on the Magna and then when I felt good and comfortable and most important some more experience I upgraded.

Yeah you are going to want a nicer bike at first. But it will be easier on the heart to drop an old bike compared to a new Fury...

·
Premium Member
1,995 Posts
I should import my bike over there and sell it :D

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all your replies!

So the opinions are divided, like expected :)

Well I guess I'll try a test ride first at our local honda dealer. Then if I get scared of the bike Ill look for a smaller temp bike, if not then it will become the fury.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Looks like money might be a bit of a factor, what with Furys costing a bit more over there, but what I did was buy a Honda Rebel 250 to ride around on. Cost me right at $3,000. I used it to get used to riding and to see if a motorcycle was for me. It was too small of a bike for me, but I didn't wanna be out too much money if I decided I didn't like it. A few months later, saw the fury, decided to go for it, and traded the Rebel back in to the same dealer on it and got like $2,000 trade in, so it cost me $1,000 to find out I love riding. Heck, you wouldn't even hafta buy a new bike to do that, just get a used one.

Fast forward a couple months from now and we see you on a Fury and loving it!

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
The fury is my first bike.. if you took the lessons, it should be relatively easy for you to drive this bike, even with how long it is.... being your first bike, you will get used to the length very quickly and I found it easier to ride that the training bikes used in the class, the Yamaha 125's...

That being said, just watch your turning radius when going slow with this bike and don't scrap the pegs when going slow, unless you have strong quick legs and you're ready to prop it up quickly. That was my first mistake, too a turn into my driveway too quickly and dug the peg into the ground. I learned from that and haven't done it since going at slow speeds... now cornering at faster speeds, that's a little different, don't mind scraping the peg going at faster speeds, just a little nerve jarring the first time you do it... lol. Anyways, I would recommend this bike as a first bike, cause if you get used to this bike, you can drive any other cruiser with confidence.

·
Registered
12,408 Posts
now cornering at faster speeds, that's a little different, don't mind scraping the peg going at faster speeds, just a little nerve jarring the first time you do it... lol.
Don't I know it! First time I scraped the peg I thought, "What the hell?!" Pretty strange sound and weird feeling on your foot when you don't expect it. I didn't think I would be brave enough to lean that far into a curve. I had a buddy following me on his HD and I guess I didn't want him to show me up.;)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Senor Gar has made some very good points here. I would agree that if a new rider wants to learn to ride hard they need to know their limitations. Start with a smaller and less expensive ride and be prepared to put some dents and scratches into it. No one plans on laying down their ride, but shit happens!
As a rule of thumb new riders should'nt ride somthing they can't pick up off the ground.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Senor Gar has made some very good points here. I would agree that if a new rider wants to learn to ride hard they need to know their limitations. Start with a smaller and less expensive ride and be prepared to put some dents and scratches into it. No one plans on laying down their ride, but shit happens!
As a rule of thumb new riders should'nt ride somthing they can't pick up off the ground.
Well I couldn't even pickup the bike I've used during my Motorcycle lessons. (honda CB500) Dunno if that rule really works ;)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts