Honda Fury Forums: banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I just ordered that hardware for the lids and I will be ordering the lids later today. Hopefully will have all of the hardware and lids later this week or weekend. I plan on making a custom bracket to mount the bags to my sumo strut and attach it to the passenger pegs for the lower mounting point. I will be modifying the right bag so I can keep my cobra swept exhaust and I will be changing the lines of the rear fender cover and the rear of the bags to match. All of the work, except for possibly the bracketry including paint prep fabrication will be done by myself and my twin brother. We have already modified the low and mean front fender to fit the custom spoke wheels, which are wider than the front wheel. I plan on making the bags removable so if I want to take everything off, except the rear fender, you will never know it was there from the start. This will truly be a one of a kind FURY when I'm finished with it. More pics to come

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
After working for 6 weeks straight, I finally have some time to work on my bike. This is what I have come up with so far. I went to home depot and got a few pieces of 3/4" round bar. Got a stick welder to weld everything together. I also went to harbor freight and got a tube bender. I cut the passenger pegs off and used the mounting plate to mount the saddlebag support rails to. I had to bend the round bar to come up with a form that flows with the bike and my exhaust. After alot of trial and error and not knowing a thing about welding. This is what I have come up with so far. I am impressed with what I have accomplished so far. Everything with the bags are removable to if I want to take it all off there are only 6 bolts that I have to loosen and I can go back to my custom chopper look. I still have to finish molding the new rear fender to the existing fender and prep everything for paint.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
That's the first time i've ever welded something myself. I got some scrap metal and practiced before I started on the final piece. It's not perfect but it's custom. I need to clean the welds and have it powdercoated. I'm still doing the bodywork on the fender.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Not too bad. I'm not going to ride with the bags on all the time. When it's just the fender you will still be able to see it. Four clips and four bolts are all I have to remove to take the bags off, so it's not hard to switch it back.

·
Premium Member
2,480 Posts
Looks awesome, man. Doesn't it feel great when you can say you did it yourself?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Thanks. I did paint the engine and it can be a little hard to tell. I wanted to go with the retractable license plate from baddad but I may have to try to make it fit with the bar i fabricated. It does feel good and i love the reaction I get when I go to different places and talk to people and tell them I did all of the work myself with the help of my twin brother. Just gives you a sense of accomplishment and pride especially when it turns out as nice as this did.

·
6,033 Posts
I;m finally finished. Let me have some feedback on what you think. Everything on this build/bike was installed/fabricated/painted by myself. Thanks for any ideas/tips you may give.
Great work, you should be very proud. My one tip would be to increase your insurance because it looks so good some bastard will want to steal it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Thanks. I am definitely going to adjust my coverage accordingly. I have been fortunate to be able to acquire a few different toys so I don't really ride my fury too much. I ride my sportbike more, but when I want to get out and turn a few heads or make people wonder what the hell kind of bike is that. I pull out my fury. This bike doesn't get enough respect and I am trying to do my part in showing people how cool it can be. Honda is a great brand and so is this bike. Extremely reliable and in my opinion bad ass.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am thinking of going in a different direction with my fury. I have ordered a set of extended fiberglass saddlebags and a stretched fender cover. I am going to start fitting the bags this weekend and will have to custom make the mounting brackets to work with the sumo struts. I welcome any input or tips if anyone has tried/done this on their fury. Will take/post pics of the progress as it comes.
I hate to say it but isn't the bagger look going to take away the sumo big wheel look? having all that sexy wheel being covered up seems unnatural to me. I get it if ya love the bagger look go for it. it just seems like the sumo kit was a waste of money if your not showing it.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts