Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on getting the ECU refreshed since I had all of my other aftermarket pieces installed and was ready to put the Cobra air intake system on the bike.

I sent my ECU off to Don guhl on Monday, he got it Wednesday, flash the ECU, and sent it back to me and I got it Thursday evening. Hooked it up last night and finished the air intake install today. I let the ECU relearn the engine and was on my way after about 15 minutes.

We got approximately 10 minutes down the road, stopped off at a little shop in town, but when we got off the bike we noticed a free husky collection of oil bubbling out of the oil fill cap by my left foot. We agreed to call the trip off and go back home, but when we got home we found that the oil was only bubbling out of the oil filler cap at a complete stop. While the bike was in motion, no oil was seeping out from the cap. It seems to be only when the bike was at rest and no throttle input is applied.

So, I guess my question is, why am I all of a sudden spewing oil when it wasn't an issue before? I followed the instructions regarding the ECU to the letter, as I did the same with the Cobra air intake system. And while the Cobra instructions were slightly vague, I didn't feel overly confused at any given point during the install. Has anyone else experienced an issue like this, or did I miss a step or something?

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on getting the ECU refreshed since I had all of my other aftermarket pieces installed and was ready to put the Cobra air intake system on the bike.

I sent my ECU off to Don guhl on Monday, he got it Wednesday, flash the ECU, and sent it back to me and I got it Thursday evening. Hooked it up last night and finished the air intake install today. I let the ECU relearn the engine and was on my way after about 15 minutes.

We got approximately 10 minutes down the road, stopped off at a little shop in town, but when we got off the bike we noticed a free husky collection of oil bubbling out of the oil fill cap by my left foot. We agreed to call the trip off and go back home, but when we got home we found that the oil was only bubbling out of the oil filler cap at a complete stop. While the bike was in motion, no oil was seeping out from the cap. It seems to be only when the bike was at rest and no throttle input is applied.

So, I guess my question is, why am I all of a sudden spewing oil when it wasn't an issue before? I followed the instructions regarding the ECU to the letter, as I did the same with the Cobra air intake system. And while the Cobra instructions were slightly vague, I didn't feel overly confused at any given point during the install. Has anyone else experienced an issue like this, or did I miss a step or something?
Did you block or cap off the vent tube that goes from the front head cover to the intake???

The hose I am talking about is the crank case vent and if you block it off it will build up to much pressure in the crank case. Usually this results in pushing the seal out around the shifter on the side of the transmission/crank case. You may have gotten lucky and had a loose dipstick or bad O-ring on the dipstick thereby letting the excess pressure vent there instead.

My best guess is that you blocked off or inadvertently pinched the vent line.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You would be correct, sir. The line that attaches to the bottom of the throttle body adapter via a pinch clamp. The directions on the cobra said to remove and plug the lines from the throttle body adapter, so I did; but if you're telling me that it needs to be open and breathe, then hopefully you're right and I got lucky. So, just remove that plug, and it should be corrected? (Provided I didn't blow any other seals).

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
You would be correct, sir. The line that attaches to the bottom of the throttle body adapter via a pinch clamp. The directions on the cobra said to remove and plug the lines from the throttle body adapter, so I did; but if you're telling me that it needs to be open and breathe, then hopefully you're right and I got lucky. So, just remove that plug, and it should be corrected? (Provided I didn't blow any other seals).
Yes.

There are the pair valves which have a hose coming off of either head and then there is the hose coming off the front head that originally went to the factory air cleaner. Most guys run a small air breather filter and some guys run a clear fuel filter from a lawn mower on the end of that hose to keep any oil residue from leaking out onto the engine.

The small filter acts as an oil trap.

Don't be surprised if you see a little bit of milky looking oil in that filter, it is worse in humid climates lile FL., it is normal. When the engine is shut off and cools you get a little bit of condensation in the crank case. When you start the bike and it gets up to temperature the oil gets hot and it causes the condensation to evaporate or burn off. That is why it is so hard on any vehicle when you make short trips that don't allow the engine to get up to and maintain operating temperature for an extended period.

Let us know how you male.out after you fix the issue.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I knew 'bout the pair valve hose bc I installed the block off plates when I installed the SLK pipes from Nate. But I find it kinda silly that Cobra would recommend plugging that line if it would cause such a serious problem like this. So, I gues I'm gonna need one of them tiny little filters like they sell at Autozone whenever folks install a K&N intake for that oil breather tube. Right?

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Yeah, I knew 'bout the pair valve hose bc I installed the block off plates when I installed the SLK pipes from Nate. But I find it kinda silly that Cobra would recommend plugging that line if it would cause such a serious problem like this. So, I gues I'm gonna need one of them tiny little filters like they sell at Autozone whenever folks install a K&N intake for that oil breather tube. Right?
Yes, you can use one of those. The only down side is it will eventually become oil soaked and start to drip down onto the engine. I prefer the little fuel filter as it acts as a catch can.

Either way, that should fix your issue.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Issue resolved

So, yeah, @Kbuskill, I installed the fuel filter and tucked it away between the cylinders. Re-ran the bike, got no more oil leaks, and had to add a little bit of oil back in. The bike is now running absolutely bonkers!!!

I had the bike up to 115+ with my ol' lady on the back, who said when we got to where we were going that the bike felt completely different. She said she could feel it especially in the initial take-off and the back tire got squirrelly underneath her, and she absolutely loved it. Lol.

I finally broke down and got a windshield, bc I had had enough of the bugs, but, more notably, I was finally exhausted of the head bobble. I got the Memphis Speed Demon shield, and while it looks alright, I hate the idea of a windshield on the Fury. But it does its job, and I'm no longer driving my hour long commute to work with a bug smear that happened 15 minutes after I left the house, right in my primary field of view.

And we just pulled the trigger on a Mustang seat with back rests to compliment the floorboards and the handlebar riser. Because she was exhausted of riding on that p.o.s. Honda OEM pillion. But the one thing I didn't know about the risers was just how much of a pain in the ass the riser would make removing and installing the gas cap.

Thanks for all yer helps guys.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
So, yeah, @Kbuskill, I installed the fuel filter and tucked it away between the cylinders. Re-ran the bike, got no more oil leaks, and had to add a little bit of oil back in. The bike is now running absolutely bonkers!!!

I had the bike up to 115+ with my ol' lady on the back, who said when we got to where we were going that the bike felt completely different. She said she could feel it especially in the initial take-off and the back tire got squirrelly underneath her, and she absolutely loved it. Lol.

I finally broke down and got a windshield, bc I had had enough of the bugs, but, more notably, I was finally exhausted of the head bobble. I got the Memphis Speed Demon shield, and while it looks alright, I hate the idea of a windshield on the Fury. But it does its job, and I'm no longer driving my hour long commute to work with a bug smear that happened 15 minutes after I left the house, right in my primary field of view.

And we just pulled the trigger on a Mustang seat with back rests to compliment the floorboards and the handlebar riser. Because she was exhausted of riding on that p.o.s. Honda OEM pillion. But the one thing I didn't know about the risers was just how much of a pain in the ass the riser would make removing and installing the gas cap.

Thanks for all yer helps guys.
Glad that fixed your issue... ride safe, she's a beast now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts