Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys names jarod and I love the look of the fury. Im 19 and have ridden a few dirt bikes before but never a motorcycle. at theend of june I plan on taking the states motorcycle saftey course. I was just wondering from experienced riders if the fury would be a good beginners bike or not. im not worried about too much power just more about balancing and overall driving. thanks

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
hey guys names jarod and I love the look of the fury. Im 19 and have ridden a few dirt bikes before but never a motorcycle. at theend of june I plan on taking the states motorcycle saftey course. I was just wondering from experienced riders if the fury would be a good beginners bike or not. im not worried about too much power just more about balancing and overall driving. thanks
Hrmm... it all matters on the rider IMO. You say you have 2 wheel experience already right? I don't see why your first street bike could not be the Fury. I was 18/19 when I picked up my 95 Shadow 1100... I was 6'4 at roughly 140lbs at that time and had no issues at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
btw im 5"6' 155lbs. I just sat on one today and found out how light it was I was shocked. the bar length is perfect and the pegs are just right. the seat is a little wide but still comfortable. its low enough for me also. I kinda wish the front was a little lower but its nothing dangerous at all I can still see great. clutch is smooth and brakes are awesome. the local dealer only had a red one and I am looking for a blue I they might have to do a swap or I can just go to a different dealer. anybody have any tips or more info on the fury???

·
Registered
46 Posts
awesome question man.....because i was wondering the same thing....i am 6' about 175lbs. I have ridden dirt bikes and a street bike here and there. I currently own an atv(i know very very different Honda trx450er). I am looking at getting a fury for my first bike too. I saw the silver one at a dealer near me and fell in love at first site. Was wondering for some general balance/turning techniques that i would need to get used too. And also if people generally thought it was good for a first bike.

Jim

·
Registered
521 Posts
I would think that if you have any doubts about your riding ability, a motorcycle safety course would be a good first step. I'm not saying this to insult but rather to educate. Those folks out there on the highway today are not looking for bikes and safe riding practices are a must. Countersteering and learning how to read the traffic are important when traveling down the roads these days... especially around town. I've had 3 or 4 cars pull over on me the past week or so. Anger management will also need to be practiced :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
awesome question man.....because i was wondering the same thing....i am 6' about 175lbs. I have ridden dirt bikes and a street bike here and there. I currently own an atv(i know very very different Honda trx450er). I am looking at getting a fury for my first bike too. I saw the silver one at a dealer near me and fell in love at first site. Was wondering for some general balance/turning techniques that i would need to get used too. And also if people generally thought it was good for a first bike.

Jim
Take the course...
So long as you respect the bike and take things slow, you'll be fine... for a 663 pound bike, it feels MUCH lighter!

Practice makes perfect and as one dude above me said... watch out for cagers. Traffic is a living organism and you'll learn to predict and anticipate a cagers next move... it's an art! Knees to the wind AND remember midnight bugs taste best! :cool:

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
its the easiest ridding bike ive been on. Its very well balanced and easy to handle. But it is way too cool for a first bike

·
Registered
72 Posts
I also think it would be a great first bike. I dont own one yet, but I have riden one and I started off on a honda 750 and I think its almost as easy to drive but much cooler. The nice thing is you wouldnt be looking for a second bike for a long time!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes that's what im looking for. a powerul bike that looks awesome and that I won't want to get rid of anytime soon

·
Registered
70 Posts
The bike is well balanced and the weight is low so it feels much lighter than it is. That said, I would suggest getting some practice, even if it is just a little on another bike. I would hate to see you drop a Fury.

I knew I was going to buy a Fury so I bought a used Honda Rebel because I hadn't ridden in 10 years. I got myself familiar with riding on the Rebel again. It really helps to boost your confidence. The fear of dropping the Fury makes practicing on it a nightmare. Obviously both bikes are different so not all of the training on one carries over to the other but it really does help. The Fury requires more room to manuever than the smallar rebel. The turning radius seems much larger. It took me a bit to get used to taking tight turns on the much larger Fury.

Just my 2 cents.

YMMV

Best of luck with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree 100%...I should get a little practice in before i but this thing but it is just so damn tempting. I should be picking mine up today or tomorrow if everything works out. I am so stoked to have a bike this nice straight out of the crate for less than $20,000. There is no doubt in my mind that some slow riding practice will greatly help to not dropping this bike.

My question is i have read multiple reviews on this bike and it seems there is a common question of why this bike seems to idle like crap. I believe there is another thread discussing this isssue, however i could find it. Anyone have any ideas/fix to the low idle problem???

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey i was wondering if this was a dumb idea. After thinking about it I dont think i should buy a $13k motorcycle for a first bike so i should buy a used one for a year for practice.

How much should i spend and what is a good size for a year? i want to be able to cruise the highway at 85 without trying too hard. PLEASE HELP ME

·
Registered
46 Posts
i think some practice and practice and more practice is the key to this sweet bike. I am going for it and hope that everything works for me on friday

·
Registered
70 Posts
hey i was wondering if this was a dumb idea. After thinking about it I dont think i should buy a $13k motorcycle for a first bike so i should buy a used one for a year for practice.

How much should i spend and what is a good size for a year? i want to be able to cruise the highway at 85 without trying too hard. PLEASE HELP ME
You'll not likely need a year to practice on a smaller bike. It will probably closer to a month or two. I suggest getting the Fury and either buying a real cheap motorcycle to practice on or borrow something from a friend. You will outgrow your practice bike so fast it's ridiculous. If you have never ridden before there is a large chance you will drop your practice bike. You probably don't want that to be your Fury.

If you are still dead set on getting a practice bike that cruises at freeway speeds I would suggest something in the 600 - 750cc range. A Honda Shadow 750 would be a likely candidate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The Fury is my first bike. I am 41, had taken the MSF course, rode a few rented Harleys (Fatboys, Heritage Classics) but would not have considered myself to be an experienced rider at all.

I think everyone should take the MSF course (or one like it). They will have you practice emergency stops and other techniques you just would not do on your own unless you were a truly dedicated student. Well worth the time and you save 10% on your insurance (every little bit helps the way that keeps going up).

I was shocked at how well the bike felt when I drove it off the lot. I love this bike. I handles great, is manageable, has good torque, and handles well on the highway. I had the bike up to 100 mph (not my usual practice at all) to see how the front end felt and it tracked true. I felt like I had some throttle left to give. The fit and feel is, well, Honda. My friends break my chops about not getting a Harley, but I am so happy with this purchase. Fit, finish, technology, and value. You will not regret your purchase.

The wind blast on the highway is a little tough. For the most part, I just love cruising around at 45 mph and enjoying the ride.

In short, take the course and remember, you control the throttle. This is still a 600 + pound bike, so do not take the weight for granted. I lost my footing trying to back her up in my driveway and it was not as easy as I thought trying to right her back.

Enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Go ahead and go big!

This is my second bike. My first I was a VT750 Aero. It was great, but I had it for less than a year and I was already looking for more power. Go for the Fury!

·
Registered
71 Posts
The fury is my first bike, And i've only had my motorcycle license for 3 weeks. I did take the basic riders course at the tech. I HIGHLY recommend it for anyone wishing to attain there M endorsment. for one they teach you from the ground up, so for people like me that have had almost zero riding experience its an excellent way to learn. Also there goal is to pass you, where as everyone that i've talked to that has taken the skills test at the DMV has always failed the first time and had to pay for and schedule a second test.

Just take your corners very slowly until you get a good feel for the bike, it does seem to need more room to corner than most other bikes, probably due to the raked out fork. but i did mess around doing U turns in a parking lot one day and i think i would be able to pass the figure 8 in the skills test on my fury no problems.

word of advice, if you take the course at the tech, try to get on a crossover type bike (enduro, knighthawk, etc..), they are higher and have a much sharper turning radius than the honda rebels and other mini cruisers... You'll pass the skills test much easier,especially if your a bigger guy :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
normaly i'd say start with 125/250cc, but since you are an experienced rider just not on street a fury may be okay, but if you rather get a starter bike to get a good feel of street riding that also be good idea, since you eventualy want get a fury id say get a nice low raked cruiser, either a mid 80's rebel(they where better bikes then, or a kymco venox not quite as long as a fury but rake is similar therefore turn radious would be about same, can get a brand new venox for what youd pay for a used rebel thats mint shape, also not sure about your state but most north america punishes people under 25 on insurance so bike size would make bif dif at your age, the venox is a 250 but looks bigger and performs more like a 500, so makes great starter bike, especialy if you want get in to world of raked out cruisers
the venox

also forgot mention since 1963 kymco has manufactured %80 of honda's engines and other components so quality is as high as a honda, and kymco is in tiawan.
also a fury would handle cross wind better than venox not cause of size, but cause venox has a solid rear wheel.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts