Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who here has ridden an 1800 before? I know there has to be a very obvious power difference, but is it really a huge difference? The reason I ask is because I recently rode an 1800 and it didn't seem to have as much power as I expected it to have, as compared to the Fury anyway. However, since it wasn't my bike, out of respect for the owner, I didn't give it full throttle all the way through every gear.

Anyone?

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
I was next to my buddy with his Harley with an 1800 give or take and we took off from a stop and hammered down and pretty much stayed side by side.
I think the weight has a lot to do with it. Take a 4 cylinder motor and put it in a car and put that same motor in a truck and obviously the truck will be much slower.
JMO.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
well something has to be going on if you don't feel the difference in 500cc's, i would imagine that it would be a hell of a ride with 500cc more than what we are riding now.

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
Buddy of mine has a gold wing....I believe it's an 1800 if I'm not mistaken.....he can leave me in the dust....and keep going way past 100.......

·
Registered
309 Posts
I was on a Suzuki Boulevard 1800 for 3 months before I got the Fury. The dang thing was a ball of muscle! Way more powerful than my Fury. I had it doing 135/140 a couple times. thought it would rip the wind shield right off.

My brother has it now and when we ride together, he takes me off the line, but I can keep up. That is, until our govenor then he keeps going.

I had the Fury running at 100 down an empty country road and he passed me like I was standing still...

You're damn straight there is a difference! But 2% of time the 1800 difference matters...the other 98% the sexy difference in my Fury matters!!! I get ALL the compliments when we are riding together.

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well something has to be going on if you don't feel the difference in 500cc's, i would imagine that it would be a hell of a ride with 500cc more than what we are riding now.
Oh I felt a difference. I just expected it to be more of a difference. Again, I didn't rip on the throttle that much out of respect for the owner, but I didn't think I would have to run it wide open to tell the difference. I don't normally ride my Fury wide open, so I tried to run the 1800 the same as I run the Fury.

I guess I was actually hoping that others on here would tell me that there isn't a huge difference so I don't feel so bad about having such a small engine. I guess I have cc envy. LOL :D

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Buddy of mine has a gold wing....I believe it's an 1800 if I'm not mistaken.....he can leave me in the dust....and keep going way past 100.......
The Gold Wings have more cylinders though. That probably makes a difference also, as well as being a larger engine.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
I noticed a big jump in torque and power. But like the man said: it's all about the style baby! Hands down, we win that race.

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
The Gold Wings have more cylinders though. That probably makes a difference also, as well as being a larger engine.
the GL1800 has 118hp and 125lbs of torque
the VTX1800 has 106 hp and 120 lbs of torque
the Fury has 57hp and 79 lbs of torque

I have ridden all 3, owned 2 of them

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
I didn't realize there were so many people with bikes on Mars. I might have to visit sometime in the future. Whats the going rate for space travel?

·
Super Moderator
6,731 Posts
IMHO, it is a noticeable difference. A Goldwing will blow the doors off the Fury and at the same time handle like a sport bike. But that’s not comparing apples and apples.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
I have ridden my brothers VTX 1800 it has power commander and bub straight pipes. It is faster then the Fury, I had it up around 120 mph and as someone said earlier 500cc's you'll will notice difference

·
Registered
111 Posts
Me too...

the GL1800 has 118hp and 125lbs of torque
the VTX1800 has 106 hp and 120 lbs of torque
the Fury has 57hp and 79 lbs of torque

I have ridden all 3, owned 2 of them
Had a Goldwing 1800, drove about 100 miles a day for over two years. The 'new' Goldwings (roughly from 2000 on) had some enhancements that made it handle more 'sporty' and when my wife was riding with me instead of driving her own bike, she really liked the comfort...but that's just it, if you wanna ride a Laz-E-boy with an engine, get a Goldwing.

Also had a Shadow Aero (1100) before that....which I consider the predecessor to the VTX line. I've driven a few VTX 1800s. They remind me of my Aero on steroids...which was really cool!

In the end, I made a choice between the VTX 1800 and the Fury. Haven't regretted it one second..I wanted to 'get back to basics', a raw experience...the fury was a natural choice and I gotta say I made the right choice.

Oh, and I drive at least two hours every day to and from work on 'Black Beauty' anytime I can!

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
vtx1800 will smoke the fury. I say the differences are gears that help balance out some of the feel, but with realistic riding the extra 500cc's isnt really worth it. A HD has much more weight and older tech where i would take the fury as comprable to a HD fatboy with the smaller engines

·
Registered
266 Posts
There are a multitude of differences in motors and gearing that make a huge difference in speed. Thats why an 800cc crotch rocket will leave a 1500 v twin cruiser in the dirt. My brother in law rides a 2006 HD ultra classic I rode a 98' 1500 vulcan classic, and I could always just leave him behind by about block after going through all the gears. on my Fury we are neck n neck till I hit 5th then he starts to pull away slowly. Not bad for a little 1300,and I out weigh him by about 120 and had the LITTLE Mrs on the back. I have the Fuggin fuel controller and viper2s, a noticable difference from stock. 90% of the HD I can slowly pull away from :D till I hit the crappy limitter :(

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
2513-2-evil-albums210-past-rides-picture1843-vtx-1800.jpg
This was my VTX 1800. I can tell you the 1800 was balls ass fast! Was heavy as a pig but had good center balance. I had it for about a year then got a 03' Harley Fatboy. I should of kept the VTX though. Was caught up in the "Harley" thing. Lesson learned

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
You really can't include sport bikes in this topic. Their motors are make more horsepower per CC then a v-twin due to all the tech that goes into them. Also the fact they the bike weighs nothing makes a difference too. There was a guy building custom choppers with large sportbike motors in them and they were crazy, they could do a rolling burnout at 30mph with a 300 on the back.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
You really can't include sport bikes in this topic. Their motors are make more horsepower per CC then a v-twin due to all the tech that goes into them. Also the fact they the bike weighs nothing makes a difference too. There was a guy building custom choppers with large sportbike motors in them and they were crazy, they could do a rolling burnout at 30mph with a 300 on the back.
im building one with a twin turbo gsxr1300 (busa) engine.......wondering if its large enough

1 - 20 of 26 Posts