Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not trying to freak anyone out or cause a huge commotion however I wanted everyone to know that I just changed my Differential oil in mine and it was extremely black and full of tiny metal particles...Looked like metal flake paint and my Fury just turned 6000 miles.

I realize that it's somewhat normal to see some small amount of metal in the gear oil especially with the bike being so new but I think mine was very excessive and I am going to be keeping a very close eye on it and will check it again in 1000 miles...

I just refilled it, ran it on the jack for 5 minutes, drained it again to flush it out and refilled it with Amsoil 80-90W Fully Synthetic Diff oil.

I'm just letting you all know so you can check yours and make sure it's ok..

It could be just mine and the fact that I have a problem but I wanted everyone to know anyway just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Perfectly normal. I changed mine first at 6000. Black as tar and metal particles. Refilled with Mobil One 80/90 and changed again at 9000. Still black as tar, but very little metal. Think Clueless said one time this is normal. Will still be very black even if you change every 1000 miles, which would be non productive.....

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perfectly normal. I changed mine first at 6000. Black as tar and metal particles. Refilled with Mobil One 80/90 and changed again at 9000. Still black as tar, but very little metal. Think Clueless said one time this is normal. Will still be very black even if you change every 1000 miles, which would be non productive.....
Well now I feel stupid lol...

It really concerned me as I'm used to car and truck diffs... On my truck I changed it at 5000 and it was black and full of metal... I replaced it with Amsoil and even now, at 50,000 it is still light golden in color with no metal.. I check it every couple months...
In all my years of working at the dealerships and all the hundreds of diff services I've done, I don't ever remember seeing one as dirty as this one I just drained in my Fury.... Scary to me.

Thanks for the info though!

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
.................it was extremely black and full of tiny metal particles...Looked like metal flake paint and my Fury just turned 6000 miles................It could be just mine and the fact that I have a problem..........

I think you might have a problem, or a developing problem. I changed mine, initially, at 600 miles and found the anticipated metal-flake deposits. I changed it again at ~5000 miles and though it was somewhat darker (normal) than new, there didn't appear to be hardly any metal flakes. You might want to tear it down and see if you can tell what's going on, or submit a sample to Blackstone Labs and they'll tell you whether the metal flakes you're seeing are gear-teeth, bearing material, aluminum, or whatever. FWIW..................

Cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts