Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys here's a tricky one. Where can I get a aftermarket gas cap? I looked everywhere on the net and cant find one for a metric tank. Any of you switched out your caps? I want a vented one since its like pulling a ball out of a pitbulls mouth when I need to fill up. I had a awesome skull cap on my Fatboy but that was a screw cap. Metrics need a push cap. Let me know if anyone has an idea.
Thanks gang!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Well I have thought of the same thing but with no success... was thinking of taking it by a custom shop and see if I can get it recovered or something along that line.

Just out of curiosity... when you have a vac seal on your tank, have you tried to tilt it like a radiator cap? I have not experienced the suction on my tank but was just wondering if it will work the same incase I run into that issue.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The first time I went to fill up when I saw the light on, I unlocked it and I couldnt get it off. When I was wiggling it you hear the suction from the tank. I filled up only 3 times and it happened all three times. I dont understand why no one else had that issue yet. Thats why I want a vented cap.
I looked all over the net for a cap but had no luck. Though someone knew where to get one. I shall wait and see.
I swear I am going to video it when I need to fill up again. I am totally wierded out by this.

·
Registered
12,885 Posts
This is strange, especially since the tank itself is vented. I and another member on here had discussed what we thought was a leak under our bikes, but found out it was just the vent tube from the gas tank, and on hot days it would spit a little.

Maybe yours is plugged somehow? Stupid suggestion, but can't understand the cap removal problem, especially since no one else including myself has experienced this.

Someone with some brains get on here please and find the answer. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
if its under warranty take it to the dealer maybe

·
Premium Member
4,475 Posts
Something here just isn't right. What you describe can not be normal. I'm not sure just how this tank is vented without a closer look but what you are describing appears to be that you are making some type of vacume caused by improper venting within the tank and as the gas level gets lower its causing this condition. Do you see the same results when you refuel at a half of tank of gas or is it just when the tank is empty?

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Hey 2 ... i have to join the group and say that you are not normal! LOL Im here in the same area and havent had an issue yet with vapor lock on a fuel up. Where ever your vent is, something is blocking it up. Could be something as simple as a bug or a problem from the factory.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have no trouble but I think it would look cool with some kind of flush mount gas cap.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Im not going crazy CB lol
I will stop off at the dealer to have them check it out. Now Im concerned about this. I only filled her up 3 times already. I havent opened it since the last fill. I will make it a point to stop there this week. Probably the vent tube is pinched from the factory. I didnt take off the tank.

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
I do agree, blocked in some way. all tanks are vented to relieve suction from gas being pulled out, or you tank would implode, well not really, only if it were made of a weaker material lol. Like a plastic 2-liter when you turn it up side down to dump the pop out (after the kids don't put the cap back on tight enough............ and it goes flat...............damn kids......) it collapse's from suction. lawn mower tanks even, look at the caps they have vent holes to relieve. To much suction won't allow gas to be pulled out of the tank, gravity or pumped. Does your Fury act a little different after riding for a bit?? lack of power or just doesn't run as well?? The suction you speak of could be causing that if so.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Im not going crazy CB lol
I will stop off at the dealer to have them check it out. Now Im concerned about this. I only filled her up 3 times already. I havent opened it since the last fill. I will make it a point to stop there this week. Probably the vent tube is pinched from the factory. I didnt take off the tank.
Hey you need to clearify which CB you talking too... LOL.

I have to agree it is not normal though.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
No, Mental, Steveo said "someone with some brains", not someone with some drains! LOL. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Seriously though, I agree with Mental; the problem is definitely related to the Fuel-Tank Vent. Get it to the dealer.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.