Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentleman... Last time I took my tank off I had that unfortunate OH $h!t moment as gas was spilling all over the bike.

My question here is how can I prevent my past mistake as I want to remove the tank for repaint and storage. Should I disconnect the lines to the pump/filter or right from the tank itself. And besides my finger how can I stop the gas from exiting the hose. I wish there was a fuel stop at the tank like a petcock.

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
Use 'Kellys' to clamp the lines and then remove the lines from the tank. You can get these at Walmart. Look like sissors but not sharp and lock together. (Same type of tool surgeons use)

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks painter, which department i would assume automotive? I don't suppose you have part number?

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
I usually run my bike out till at least the light comes on for fuel, and maybe a little longer, then I unbolt the tank and hang it over the side of my bike, with a bucket underneath it to hold up the weight and a microfiber towel under it to protect the paint. Then undue the lines... Haven't had it pee all over my bike yet. Have done it about 4 times already.

Then take a zip lock bag, put it over the hose lines, use some zip ties and tie the bags over the hoses... that is another way to do it besides what painter said to do.

·
Premium Member
13,702 Posts
I usually run my bike out till at least the light comes on for fuel, and maybe a little longer, then I unbolt the tank and hang it over the side of my bike, with a bucket underneath it to hold up the weight and a microfiber towel under it to protect the paint. Then undue the lines... Haven't had it pee all over my bike yet. Have done it about 4 times already.

Then take a zip lock bag, put it over the hose lines, use some zip ties and tie the bags over the hoses... that is another way to do it besides what painter said to do.
what red said.works like a champ.

·
Banned
622 Posts
unbolt tank and wiggle lose from rubber stops .. keep gas cap on and lean the tank foward to left side of the bike so all the fuel falls foward.... then remove the lines .... put tank over bucket drain fuel .......nothing to buy its clean easy and takes 5 min......ive had my tank off for 5 paint kobs now so trust me this works best

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
remove the bolt at back of tank raise tank enough to unplug the sending unit wires let top of tank fall towards the ground fill next first then remove small wire clamps from hoses and put a vaccum plug over the tank fittings. No fuel will be lost then reverse process for reinstalling. This procedure was developled by MFR and works great.:D

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
[my tank off for 5 paint kobs ]

sick need to quit sniffing and do more of those paint kobs. LOLOLOLOL:D

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I'll give it try Red, but if memory serves it didn't seem as if the hoses were long enough for that much play, maybe I was just worried about pinching/cracking the lines but if they're durable then I'll go with your method.

thanks for the suggestions gents...

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
I'll give it try Red, but if memory serves it didn't seem as if the hoses were long enough for that much play, maybe I was just worried about pinching/cracking the lines but if they're durable then I'll go with your method.

thanks for the suggestions gents...
I did the same a Red to get mine off, it has enough play. Just remember to use something in the bucket to protect the paint.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts