Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m I’m Joel. Check this shit out. This is my 2012 fury. My friends gave me so much shit for this idea and I said to hell with all u it’s my bike and now I’m rockin and rolling around with 235 miles of range. u simply take ur vent tube and route it a fitting on the bottom of your xtra tank this one is 6 by 14 inches. it holds 1.4 gallons u can’t see it when riding unless u lean several inches over I wanna find a better mounting system but these rubbery twist tie thing are actually working really well the rubber bites and keeps tention I figured if I blacked out everything in matte black which is all high temp paint it would bring discretion to the tank... help it blend In To look stock as u can see I went so far as use wire loom to dress up and protect the fuel lines. yay! I love my fury so much. any idea or comment on tank strappage is welcome!

·
Registered
308 Posts
I’m I’m Joel. Check this shit out. This is my 2012 fury. My friends gave me so much shit for this idea and I said to hell with all u it’s my bike and now I’m rockin and rolling around with 235 miles of range. u simply take ur vent tube and route it a fitting on the bottom of your xtra tank this one is 6 by 14 inches. it holds 1.4 gallons u can’t see it when riding unless u lean several inches over I wanna find a better mounting system but these rubbery twist tie thing are actually working really well the rubber bites and keeps tention I figured if I blacked out everything in matte black which is all high temp paint it would bring discretion to the tank... help it blend In To look stock as u can see I went so far as use wire loom to dress up and protect the fuel lines. yay! I love my fury so much. any idea or comment on tank strappage is welcome! View attachment 240196 View attachment 240195
I LIKE IT and it does look GOOD!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah thats not a bad idea. I’ll have to see what I can come up with. A perfect cylindrical leather bag that tank can fit inside of.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
What's the pn of the tank and where did you get it?
Can you show how you connected the main tank to the aux tank?

Reactions: RajunRick

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
What's the pn of the tank and where did you get it?
Can you show how you connected the main tank to the aux tank?
He explained it in the OP. He just connected the factory tank's vent line to the lowest point of the Auxiliary tank so that as the fuel is being removed from the factory tank, and it creates a vacuum, it sucks the fuel in from the Auxiliary tank. Then the Auxiliary tank has a vent at the highest point of it so it can suck air in.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I feel ya, was intending of remaking a whole new tank. It's crazy having a cruiser with short range, only other issue is my friggin taint gets so sore, need a leg stretch after 100 miles.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I’m I’m Joel. Check this shit out. This is my 2012 fury. My friends gave me so much shit for this idea and I said to hell with all u it’s my bike and now I’m rockin and rolling around with 235 miles of range. u simply take ur vent tube and route it a fitting on the bottom of your xtra tank this one is 6 by 14 inches. it holds 1.4 gallons u can’t see it when riding unless u lean several inches over I wanna find a better mounting system but these rubbery twist tie thing are actually working really well the rubber bites and keeps tention I figured if I blacked out everything in matte black which is all high temp paint it would bring discretion to the tank... help it blend In To look stock as u can see I went so far as use wire loom to dress up and protect the fuel lines. yay! I love my fury so much. any idea or comment on tank strappage is welcome! View attachment 240196 View attachment 240195
Where did you purchase the extra tank and hoses and wherever parts to mount and make functional.?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Been busi for a few days. Hey so aluminumspuntanks is the website u wanna get the tank from. They can make it how ever u want. I chose to get the breather vent added at the filler neck. It’s a 1/4 inch line ran down the front of the bike. I used a fitting that is 3/16 barb on the tank it’s self and then converted it to 1/4 inch because no one makes a fuel filter in 3/16 but they do in 1/4. Amazon has all the fittings u could want. Get 3/16 to 1/4 adapter barb fittings. Amazon also has 1/4 fuel line. U don’t need the fuel filter I thought it was fun to have one. Honda’s breather line for the fuel tank 3/16. U def wanna use an impact to get the fitting in the tank all the way. And use the white tape to seal it. I’ll more pics later today

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I would recommend using a thread sealant designed for gasoline in this situation rather than thread tape. That stuff is prone to leaking and gasoline could eventually eat it up. This is the stuff that I use (I've used it in gas, diesel, and pneumatic applications with very good luck):

As far as using an impact to spin the fittings on, I would not do that. If it's an NPT fitting, they are tapered fittings and designed to seal via the threaded taper (the threads eventually will interfere and fold over in theory). If you go beyond the torque that's spec'd, you start either stretching the threads in the tank or you are going to snap your fitting off. Both of these are bad, and you'll actually get more leaking from the first scenario if you overtorque.

Torque the fitting to what is recommended (ignore the depth that it goes) and use the thread sealant above (or one rated for fuel) and you will be good and leak free.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would recommend using a thread sealant designed for gasoline in this situation rather than thread tape. That stuff is prone to leaking and gasoline could eventually eat it up. This is the stuff that I use (I've used it in gas, diesel, and pneumatic applications with very good luck):

As far as using an impact to spin the fittings on, I would not do that. If it's an NPT fitting, they are tapered fittings and designed to seal via the threaded taper (the threads eventually will interfere and fold over in theory). If you go beyond the torque that's spec'd, you start either stretching the threads in the tank or you are going to snap your fitting off. Both of these are bad, and you'll actually get more leaking from the first scenario if you overtorque.

Torque the fitting to what is recommended (ignore the depth that it goes) and use the thread sealant above (or one rated for fuel) and you will be good and leak free.
I didnt know they made gas sealant! thanks for the tip! The fitting is a very snug fitto the tank. i used large wrenches to get it as far as i could which was about halfway. it wasnt feeling like anything was gonna snap. the impact worked perfectly. it just looked half-assed with the fitting halfway out. i also have no idea what the toque spec would be on that?

·
Registered
76 Posts
@joelzkins That is a great idea you've got there. Unfortunately, you have trigger my OCD imagination now. I will not sleep for a week now....... lol! Seeing your idea has inspired me. I've got a stainless steel air accumulator tank. It's about a gallon. I'm going to try to figure out an incognito tank with it, but have the main tank fill and draw from it. Farewell sanity, lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wanted to fill that gap above the engine with something. I’ve thought about that too about how to get a second tank to fill with the main tank. I’m not sure how u would do it. Perhaps more than one line running to it. But ur options r limited with the stock tank. U could always tee into the line that goes from tank to pump. U actually have two lines that go from tank to pump to help keep air bubbles out. Remember that everything is gravity fed until the fuel pump under ur seat.

·
Registered
76 Posts
After doing alot of searching for ideas for the tank, I came across this. It's too small to be useful to us, but the description is what caught my attention. Now to research it and reverse engineer it for my own evil purposes!

·
Super Moderator
3,466 Posts
I wanted to fill that gap above the engine with something. I’ve thought about that too about how to get a second tank to fill with the main tank. I’m not sure how u would do it. Perhaps more than one line running to it. But ur options r limited with the stock tank. U could always tee into the line that goes from tank to pump. U actually have two lines that go from tank to pump to help keep air bubbles out. Remember that everything is gravity fed until the fuel pump under ur seat.
You'd need a transfer pump in the main tank with its own line into the second tank.

The way @joelzkins has it set up, the main tank is filled first, the backup second. The fuel pump acts as a valve, so the tank won't drain into the engine from that end. The vacuum line is connected to the second tank, so the main tank can gravity feed (slowly) into the backup tank while the gas cap is off, or if the gas cap seal is compromised. The main tank is vapor locked when the gas cap is on, so the second tank can be filled without issue. As Ken states the fuel pump will suck fuel from the main tank and the vacuum created in the main tank will draw from the second tank.

--
Tails of my Trailer Park Lows
It's the beginning of June, yet I know the Forth Of July is around the corner because three people already blew fingers off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Installing a second fuel pump is too much complexity. Wiring the tanks in series is the way to go. Plus if u wanna get really crazy u could add saddle bags. And add more tanks and keep the vent line going. U could put 6-20 inch tanks in saddle bags and have tons of range

·
Super Moderator
3,466 Posts
Alternatively, one could buy a Goldwing. More tanks / complexity = more potential points of failure.

(and the Fury isn't great as a long-term touring bike)

The 2021 Goldwing (vs the 2020) has upgraded seats, audio, and a bunch more storage space (finally--what was Honda thinking!). (the paint looks better too)

2021_Goldwing.jpg

(Honda also went to the Dark Side with a 2021 Blackout):
2021_Goldwing Blackout.jpg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts