Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been playing around with this idea and have been talking to some metal Fab guys.

Before I go any further I really want your thoughts. Perhaps who would be interested. Price would be between $500-$600 stainless steel with pop up gas cap unlike design below.

I know its up there in cost, but takes alot of time to shape, weld and grind each tank.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
Very Cool Eric! :cool:

Would tank be tested and sealed? Custom tanks like this could command that price.

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
I was thinking of a custom gas tank just last night. I think yours looks great and I am very interested. In fact, go ahead and ship one to Painter for me!

·
Registered
364 Posts
i think it's cool and worth the price.. my only concern is that i like the design, i'm not sure it will match the lines of the rest of the bike unless fenders and other accessories are made to match the sharp lines the tank creates.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Heck you can barely get a used dented stock tank for that price on eBay.

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
I was thinking of a custom gas tank just last night. I think yours looks great and I am very interested. In fact, go ahead and ship one to Painter for me!
How did you know that I finally matched the BLUE paint????

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
The tank looks cool and would be an excellent mod. However in my case, I wouldn't change the tank. The lines on the stock tank really make the bike for me.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
that looks like the tank shell i built and was getting ready to weld to mine (mine was a little more like a cobra head). it now sits on a kraftech frame.

A way to speed it up would be modding a produced shell and welding to the tunnel unless you built your own tunnel

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The top line of the tank i would want to keep as close to the stock tank as possible. The base point about 2-3" lower covering just a bit more of the open space below the stock tank. It would come out about 2" wider on the side at the point, but be low enough at the side points so the hand bars would clear as well as match up with a stock seat. The gas cap would be moved back about 3" than stock for easy fueling.

The tank would be air tight of course, but I will have to look at the cost for pouring in the inside sealer. It will also take some time to rig up the electrical connections and fuel fittings in the tunnel of the tank so it just bolts/hooks up. This is just in the design/pricing stage, but as you read you see I'm looking at all peramiters on this... This biggest vary is how much this tank is going to cost for it to be right, what retail price can be charged to show enough profit versus a retail price that is affordable which all comes to how many could be sold.

The first finished prototype alone will cost about $900-$1000 by my estimate. The trick is to do a design that can have pieces water jetted and assembled at a production level. If only 5 or 6 want it then the price will stay around $800-$900. The more people set a demand for it the price could drop down to the $500-$600 range.

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
Eric,

I have the best tank sealer.... runs about $15 per tank and easy to do. Not that Kreem stuff...but what OEM uses! I can get the info on it if you want.

When you were talking the $500 -$600 range...sounded good... When it gets close to a GRAND...well....sales would drop. CNC would be the way to go. SS is easy and after drawing setup it's reasonable.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
I like it but as was mentioned above some fenders are gonna have to match. the sharp lines may throw off the rest of the lines that made this bike unique to itself. Its a fabulous design idea especially with it coming down more towards the engine. Will it hold more gas u think?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I like it but as was mentioned above some fenders are gonna have to match. the sharp lines may throw off the rest of the lines that made this bike unique to itself. Its a fabulous design idea especially with it coming down more towards the engine. Will it hold more gas u think?
I'm thinking the fron down line of the tank will corrispond well with the inner line of the front fender so from the side the top line will match stock so it should flow well with the lines of the bike. I think it will be more menacing and will add a more aggressive look. It will be for some and some will I'm sure hate it. lol!

It should hold about the same fuel, but until we get a mock up done I can't give an amount.

I'm going to start working on a cardboard lay out in the next 2 weeks and well see how it goes from there.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
There are plenty of other gas tank designs just like that one, make sure you at least peruse through the patents though before proceeding, or keep the production at a minimum until you find out..

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
What about a way to fit a fuel gauge in it, maybe on the cap ? I know most like the idea of no gauge but it is an option.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Easy, I hate to be a pain but how are you going to run the high tunnel and deep points on the bottom with the wide double back bone of the fury frame and all of the junk honda put under it?

Just a thought.

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
It should hold about the same fuel, but until we get a mock up done I can't give an amount.
What would be the fuel capacity of this tank?
Looks good I am like Dave tho wandering about fuel capacity

Do you bone heads not read all the posts to see if maybe your question has already been answered? LOL :p:rolleyes: It was my first question too, but I read ALL the posts before I asked. LOL

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Most of the time, unless he does some serious number crunching, he won't find out about fuel capacity till after it get's done. He will then fill it and find out the total capacity..... Just the R&D phase...

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm thinking the fron down line of the tank will corrispond well with the inner line of the front fender so from the side the top line will match stock so it should flow well with the lines of the bike. I think it will be more menacing and will add a more aggressive look. It will be for some and some will I'm sure hate it. lol!

I'm going to start working on a cardboard lay out in the next 2 weeks and well see how it goes from there.
I for one would definitely be interested in this tank. I've got kind of a pointy theme going on with my bike and this would be the perfect match.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts