Honda Fury Forums: banner

Gear Indicator

5K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  taffyspop 
#1 ·
I'd like to fit a programmable gear indicator to my Fury, (the 4th or 5th gear chestnut). Preferably something that doesn't look like an obvious after thought.

Quite like the look of the Dakota Digital PGR-1000 (pic). Emailed DD on several occasions about compatibility of this unit with the Fury, but no response :confused:.

Has anyone fitted one of these (or similar) to their Fury? If so, how wired?

Mods: Cobra Swepts, O2 sensors removed; PowrFlo Air Intake; FI2000R (1-2-2); Irate Radiator Grille; Breakaway Cruise Control.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
The way the Dakota speed indicator works in the full blown speedo is they'll tap into the speedo signal and a coil for tach. Then they can calculate gear based on speed and RPM.

I'm guessing the wiring is similar for this one.

#5 ·
I have been using a Heal Tech Indicator on mine. It's a direct plug in (plugs into the maintenance plug, next to the battery). I wanted the gear indicator function without adding any gadgets to the handlebar, so my display sits on top of the cable that runs alongside the top tube, and is visible to the rider only (between the gas tank and front fork bearings) while sitting on the bike. When the bike is parked, you don't even see it.
The only flaws with this system are (1) it does not display the gear then the clutch is engaged. (2) They are not cheap.

HONDA FURY 2010 10 HEAL TECH GIPRO DS SERIES !!!! | eBay

Attachments

#9 ·
Just checked the installation instructions... it's correct. All you need is a tach signal from the coil and a tap on the speedo signal.

Attachments

#13 · (Edited)
Am I supposed to feel inferior because others decide they don't need a gear indicator? What's the point? The Fury came without one. Some of us, like VooDoo Blue, Bandit and I, feel it would be a nice addition.

Not long ago, motorcycles had no disk brakes, neutral indicators, turn signals, fuel injection, dual suspension and so on. They do now and they ride is better and safer than ever before. So what's wrong with adding a gear indicator if it improves the quality of the ride?

#14 ·
...........So what's wrong with adding a gear indicator if it improves the quality of the ride?
Having had M/C's with gear indicators, I don't agree that it does. After riding for awhile, you'll come to know, from experience, what gear you're in; it just comes naturally with experience. But, if you feel compelled to spend the money and effort, then go for it! My two-bits.........................

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.