Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 2011 Honda fury from the fort Myers area after the hurricane it was submerged but not for long decided to resurrect it. I cleaned all the electrical pulled the plugs drain the oil things of that nature I have decided but I want to replace everything if not do a total engine rebuild to be on the safe side it's my first bike very mechanically inclined I'm in the central Florida area any helpful tips and tricks leads on reasonably priced parts etc I look forward to joining this group for a long time

·
Premium Member
2,023 Posts
Welcome from Alabama. We like pictures, all of them, the before, the after, the nasty and the clean.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I picked up a 2011 Honda fury from the fort Myers area after the hurricane it was submerged but not for long decided to resurrect it. I cleaned all the electrical pulled the plugs drain the oil things of that nature I have decided but I want to replace everything if not do a total engine rebuild to be on the safe side it's my first bike very mechanically inclined I'm in the central Florida area any helpful tips and tricks leads on reasonably priced parts etc I look forward to joining this group for a long time
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive tire

Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel

·
Registered
552 Posts
Welcome from daytona
After fluids i wouldnt go crazy replacing stuff.
Unless it doesnt run.
Save ur $$$ for cool mods.
You will see many on this site.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Welcome from daytona
Unless it doesnt run.
Found this at another site.

Engine- seriously doubt if there is any issue. No way for water to get in. Check the oil after a 'short' run and if it looks OK it MTL is.

Brakes calipers soaking under water. At the very least do a fluid flush. Wet/soaked brake pads- not an issue.
Flush the clutch too.

Final. Would be best to flush.

Drive shaft- pull it out, dry it out, relube ujoint or replace. Redo all the moly paste too.

Wheel bearings (flange too) replace all of them if they were submerged.

Lube all your brake and shifting mechanisms.

Forks may need to be flushed

lube fan motor if possible.

As far as water in the frame. Possible and would get it out with a small hole.

Check all the wiring that may have been submerged. Disconnect dry, pooky 'em and reconnect. Best if done one or 2 at a time! :lol:
MTL will need new swing arm bearings too.

That should pretty well cover it.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Welcome from daytona
Unless it doesnt run.
Dang, I'd be going a lot further than this.

OP. Were you "told" that it was partially submerged? If so it was for sure fully submerged. I don't trust people.

If you got water into ANYTHING in the engine, you're going to want to know. To me, this would warrant, at minimum, a full tear down. You need to know what's going on with that engine on the inside or you are going to risk doing a lot more damage.

You are going to want to replace pretty much anything that moves. Replace all bearings, front fork fluid change at minimum, headset bearings.

If you are rebuilding, do not skimp on parts, especially for the engine. OEM or bust.

Yes, all the fluids too.

Water gets into everything.

·
Registered
2010 Fury
869 Posts
Here's my story...judge for yourself. I had a completely submerged zero turn lawn mower from Harvey. The Trans is sealed, and the engine, with the exception of the intake, is sealed as well. The issue, assuming it was NOT run while wet, will be wiring. Salt water created current pathways, and much of the wiring was brittle and trashed. I had to replace all electrical equipment including starter and voltage regulator. Once the wiring was replaced, I pulled plugs, changed the oil (which did have water in it, as the fill line was submerged), and cranked it. After a bit, I replaced the fuel, put plugs in, and it fired immediately. Damn thing still runs great 5 years later.
The lesson is to know what is sealed, and what is not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's my story...judge for yourself. I had a completely submerged zero turn lawn mower from Harvey. The Trans is sealed, and the engine, with the exception of the intake, is sealed as well. The issue, assuming it was NOT run while wet, will be wiring. Salt water created current pathways, and much of the wiring was brittle and trashed. I had to replace all electrical equipment including starter and voltage regulator. Once the wiring was replaced, I pulled plugs, changed the oil (which did have water in it, as the fill line was submerged), and cranked it. After a bit, I replaced the fuel, put plugs in, and it fired immediately. Damn thing still runs great 5 years later.
The lesson is to know what is sealed, and what is not.
Thank you for that always willing to learn a new lesson

·
Registered
16 Posts
Rebuild 386, Good luck with this. I will tell you though that flood, in general, is not good, flood with brackish or salt water worse. Salt water does much more damge and where it is particular bad is wiring. It may not be evident on inspection but it gets into it and even after it dries out the current through salt corrided wiring causes severe deterioration much more quickly.

I had the mast for my sailboat off the boat and in storage when Sandy hit New Jersey and it was under water in the storage shed at the boat yard. It was deemed in need of all all new wiring harness after being submerged. The consensus of all knowledgable was it had maybe 3-5 years until consistent failure due to salt water intrusion. I built an entirely and installed a new harness, but as I was removing the old the damage was evident.

Just saying that be aware where flooding will get you is not mechanical but electrical.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts