Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've got the scala rider 2 uhhh.... too. And where did you put all the extra wire for the connection?

Not that I plan to do this, but just curious.

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got the scala rider 2 uhhh.... too. And where did you put all the extra wire for the connection?

Not that I plan to do this, but just curious.
There is a cable that came with it that has a smaller plug that plugs into the scala rider mount. Not the bluetooth unit, it's the base that the bluetooth slides in to..
T

·
Registered
132 Posts
There is a cable that came with it that has a smaller plug that plugs into the scala rider mount. Not the bluetooth unit, it's the base that the bluetooth slides in to..
T
I got that. I've used it. But unless there is something wrong with my computer's resolution, it looks like you used velcro tabs to attach the MP3 player to your helmet.

So the question is; did you splice the wire or do you plan on having a coiled wire loop hanging from the side of your head while you roll down the road?

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got that. I've used it. But unless there is something wrong with my computer's resolution, it looks like you used velcro tabs to attach the MP3 player to your helmet.

So the question is; did you splice the wire or do you plan on having a coiled wire loop hanging from the side of your head while you roll down the road?

Sorry about that, the coiled wire is tucked behind the helmet padding inside. I have snaps on the padding and routed the coiled wire around the back of the inside of the helmet.
Yes the MP3 player is velcro to the side of the helmet.
The wire is really designed for connecting to a MP3 player in your jacket.
It worked out pretty good, the MP3 was at a lower volume than the communications.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My MP3 is a bit bigger so it would look really stupid if I did this. The only thing that I've been disappointed with has been the lack of AD2P. The new Scala Rider G4 is supposed to support it so no more wires, just stream stereo music through the bluetooth. But I can't afford the starting asking price. The cost of the multi set is the same as the cost for 1 Scala Rider G4.

·
Registered
438 Posts
CoolTrukka & Tony Fury
How do you guys like your Scala?

I have been stewing over communication sets forever and haven't made the plunge. I would like to have the ability to communicate rider to passenger and bike to bike. I would also like the option to use my Shure noise isolating ear buds instead of helmet speakers but I haven't found a unit that allows this. I have seen the posts where someone cut the speaker wires and put in a 3.5mm plug but I don't want to spend the cash only to have to hack it apart.

When I use my Zumo as my MP3 and hard wire it to my earbuds the sound is awesome. With speakers in my helmets I just can't seem to get them close enough to my ears to get rid of road and wind noise.

I finally bought a Panasonic bluetooth RP-BT10 headset which allows me to swap my own earbuds and link to the Zumo via bluetooth. This works well but I have to say the hard wire version still has better sound.

So I am curious about the following?
Sound quality
Battery life
Ability to use my own 3.5mm earbuds.

Appreciate your comments.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The sound quality is decent. I've got buds that offer much better sound quality but decent is better then nothing at all. The communication aspect is top notch. 500 meters seems like a bit farther then they can actually go, but other riders have been able to hear me (though with static) from what they claim as to be around 1/4 mile back and with traffic in between. The bluetooth connection with the phone is pretty good. No one has complained about excessive road noise and I have actually had more comments about the exhaust noise from my car then from my bike (I need Cobras). Never ran down the battery because I just got then as the season was ending so only got a few hours at a time to try it out. And without cutting wires there is no way to use a 3.5mm jack for the ear buds.

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree with CoolTrukka..
Rider to Rider they are great, when you reach the max distance you here crackling but still can be heard somewhat.
It is decent MP3 quality, your not going to beat the ear buds but theres a trade off. I value the communication system more so than the MP3. The Scala sync's with the Zumo 550 just fine, and your phone to the Zumo. I wired up the little MP3 player to the headset due to the fact I don't always take the Zumo riding.
The voice activation is great for overriding the music and communicating.
That little Sansa (ScanDisk) MP3 player I put on the helmet was only 40 bucks for 4 gig.
I have yet to have the battery die on me, it's rated at 4 hours but I do turn it off on stops.
T

1 - 11 of 11 Posts