Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've been lurking here and there when I remember to check the site. I've had my '10 Fury since they came out. I've got a limited matte #036. Currently pushing 10k on it so far. I've actually been out and about up here in NH since around February. My other "functioning" bike is a '01 Shadow Sabre 1100 which actually hasn't been touched since I got the Fury. I went to the dealership for a new starter switch and left an hour and a half later drooling. A week later they had gotten the limited in and I put the down-payment on the spot and actually rode away that day. Fortunately I was recently divorced so I didn't need to explain myself to anyone. ;)

I've learned a lot from you all so far and look to learn even more. I was surprised to find that the Fury handled so much better than the Sabre even with the rake. I ended up running into one of the engineers that designed the steering. He asked what I thought about it before I knew he was one of them. He was happy to hear that I thought the steering was more responsive than the Sabre since they had worked very hard on making sure it handled aggressively yet safely.

Laundry list of things for my bike so far including what's been done to date.

Cobra Black Swepts - tried for about an hour to yank those baffles out - gave up for moment

Power commander soon
black out engine
Black out most of the chrome that I can. I ride in the rain too much to worry about polishing crap.
strip reflectors
chop plate mount and do side plate
C&C saddle
Possibly Corbin Contraband fairing - anyone have any experience with this?
Led swap outs on directionals
move forward controls... forward
fix the scrapes in my swepts from corning like a crazy bastard
chop the baffles - thinking about creating my own version of Thunder City baffles also since there's not much there really

That's about it for now - must get back to work!

Thug

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Welcome, throw up some pics when you get a chance.

·
Premium Member
2,482 Posts
Welcome, wow riding in NH since Feb... you're braver than me.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Welcome and enjoy your fury. So you are from New Hampshire. It's funny that at this moment my family and I are driving to visit family in Manchester New Hampshire. Are you close by?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for the welcome!

@Zitros - I'm in the north End of Manchvegas actually.

I'm working on uploading some pics at the moment

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Lurk no longer. Come on in. The door is always open. Welcome and let's see that bike.........

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay - I think I've got it figured out -

2001 Shadow Sabre and 2011 Fury - a happy garage.

And... last but not least - February riding style for New England

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
careful with the plan to go all dark--
i saw a totally matte gray bike over the holidays.
looked like a junker.

this guy painted every piece of chrome and metal the same color.

too much of any one tone could give the bike an unintended look.
consider mixing it up a bit so it isn't all monochrome...unless that's the look you're going for.

maybe shorty can give you a quick photoshop of what you're planning.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
What up thug!
Yea, we got a lot of work to do to that bike of yours! Need any help let me know.
But you probably won't need it being as smart as you are. Buying a matte and all!:D

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Actually I made a mount for my droid since they didnt make any that I was aware of at the time. I need GPS a lot for work since I'm heading to locations I've never been to before. I bought a car mount kit and created a mount by using the arm after removing the suction cup portion. The mount was nice for the droid since it automatically switches the phone into car mode when docked. I used shapelock plastic to create a base that sits on top of the handlebar and rests next to the clutch lever assembly. I molded in two velcro straps that secure it. 80 MPH and no problems. I mounted a weatherproof 12 volt outlet for the car charger under the tank and routed the wires up around the clutch cable. I'll try to grab some pics of it this weekend. If you've never run into shapelock plastic before - check it out here - Products

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
careful with the plan to go all dark--
i saw a totally matte gray bike over the holidays.
looked like a junker.

this guy painted every piece of chrome and metal the same color.

too much of any one tone could give the bike an unintended look.
consider mixing it up a bit so it isn't all monochrome...unless that's the look you're going for.

maybe shorty can give you a quick photoshop of what you're planning.
I know what you mean regarding all blacked out... I'm not going too crazy... just the motor will probably be fine for me. I'm definitely not against chrome - just lots and lots of it. I'm going to two tone if anything but within reason.

·
Premium Member
13,706 Posts
looking good thug.if you need a baffle puller there is one floating around the forum.just put your name on the list.when done send it to the next person on the list.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Cool innovation with that DROID mount! Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay, here's the shots of the phone mount I made for the droid. I took one of these: Amazon.com: Motorola Car Mount Phone Holder for Droid: Cell Phones & Accessories

-pushed/Pulled the pin at the base that holds the lever, spring and suction cup to the base.

Once I had the base off I disassembled the pieces then sanded and filed down the base since it was dished to have two concave sections in line where the handlebar would be sitting. Test for fit.

Drill/dremel two slots into the base to pass a long piece of heavy duty velcro through. Make sure the velcro is way longer than you think you'll need so you can play with it to get the right fit and then cut to length leaving enough for two wraps around.

Pass it through and check fit again.

I then heated up my shapelock plastic and roughly shaped it to where I wanted it. Press onto the base over the top of the velcro. That locks in the velcro. I reheated and then ran out to the garage and smushed down onto the handlebar and made sure it was pressed up against the clutch lever.
Let that harden back up while smoothing out the edges and making sure it's not wrapping around the handlebar. Once it hardened you would have to cut through it if it did. One thing I forgot about was that it bonds to plastic/rubber - that's why it sticks so well to the velcro. It actually started adhering to the switch cover insulation sleeve. Make sure you pull off the assembly before that happens or try a little grease on top of that.

Once it all cools - check fit again and build up some more with shapelock if you need to do so.

Reassemble and make sure the angle and everything is the way you want it on the handlebars.

I assembled the thing and wrapped the velcro over the piece the way it is on the bike without the handlebars so you can get a better idea.

Test at speed before using your phone on the mount for the first time.

Check occasionally while riding and if it starts to move a lot make sure you pull over immediately.

80 MPH is not a problem nor does road vibration seem to be either. I did have to flip the arm backwards to get a proper viewing angle though. Just flip the nut and screw locations to do that. Don't forget about the phone if it starts to rain either. I'm sure you all can handle figuring out the charger/DC jack bits on your own.

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
Welcome Thug! Bike looks great except for the reflector on the fork. Haven’t you noticed that yet?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts