Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody want to chew the fat on this one...I've been trying to decide between buying Grip Ace or building my own switch system. I totally like the way (it seems) it will clean up the bars, but not too sure about what changes I'm not seeing (like throttle cable linkage/housing...) Thoughts?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Good idea dude...:D

Here's the link
GripAce - Digital Motorcycle Switchs

Photo from their site...

I'm diggin the clean look.
HELLYEAH I Am Loving The Idea... This WIll Clean Up The Looks And Give It A True Custom Look.... On That Note, How Many Mods Does It Take Before You Can Call It A True Custom... I Think MFR Or Anybody That Has Already Done The MFR Mod To Their Mod Falls Into A True Custom. Opinions?

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
HELLYEAH I Am Loving The Idea... This WIll Clean Up The Looks And Give It A True Custom Look.... On That Note, How Many Mods Does It Take Before You Can Call It A True Custom... I Think MFR Or Anybody That Has Already Done The MFR Mod To Their Mod Falls Into A True Custom. Opinions?
I would say customized, but not a true custom..

My definition of a true custom would be something designed and built from the ground up..

We all have just taken a factory production bike and personalized it.
Nothing more than a new H-D adding aftermarket parts..

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
sounds like it can be an electrical nightmare waiting to happen if you ask me. But it sure does look good.
Wouldnt expect much of an electrical nightmare, mostly matching wires, but gonna have to relocate starter and cutoff switch. the gauge pod will probably be a PITA to deal with unless they have a recess where it will fit. I have been contemplating new switches and internally wiring bars with wires coming out behind the speedo

·
Registered
331 Posts
Where are the clutch and brake levers?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Very clean look! I'd love to see someone pull this mod off! Then I can drool over CHOME WHEELS AND THIS MOD!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm having something similar done to my '87 Honda SuperMagna. The left grip itself has 4 switches set into it that are almost invisible, but easy to feel even through gloves. I'm also using an ignition switch from a car - so I'm able to get rid of both switch housings on both sides of the bar. Really cleans up the look quite a bit. Add a throttle grip with internally routed cables, and it's a world of difference on how the bike looks. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
mod requirements at a basic level for when I did my VTX 1300 also I did this after my HD control mod since that didn't work so good with the caliper being to firm this allowed me to keep the stock VTX brake master cylinder which provide less deadly brake feel

1. new throttle cables from barret get the ones that are harley to honda
2. some HD style throttle housing (I used Joker Machine but there are tons like Performance machine, bitwell, arlen ness, etc)
3. HD grips / throttle sleeve
4. Lots of good connectors not like the ones they provide
5 grip ace system
6. on/off switch (I used Joker machine to match the throttle housing but again tons out there)

Also Excile does do a lot of internal wire stuff but it also depends on the year HD that came from if it is throttle by wire it would be different than throttle cables! You could contact Russell Mitchel of Excile about the cable length but don't forget those are custom bars and your bars do not have a recess for the grip ace system so putting it under the grip was the best option.

Also Excile or Grip ace can customize metal grips to fit the system which is really nice. I am cheap so powder coating and rubber grips for me!

Greg

Owns
2000 HD electra glide
2005 HD Road King
2006 Honda VTX 1300 C (first love)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts