Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all ,looking to put new set of bars on the bike. Putting it out there to see if anyone in Australia has done this and where they got the bars from. I've seen a few online oversea's, eg. amazon and Ebay, bit pricey with dollar conversion.
Any thoughts on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Hi all ,looking to put new set of bars on the bike. Putting it out there to see if anyone in Australia has done this and where they got the bars from. I've seen a few online oversea's, eg. amazon and Ebay, bit pricey with dollar conversion.
Any thoughts on this topic would be greatly appreciated.
See my reply to your PM. The cost of doing this in Oz is way over the top and really it's not worth it. Custom bars as you discovered are too costly as is doing an aftermarket speedo.

If you really must change the bars then HD springer bars are close to the Fury with the spacing of the knurling but you probably would have to still deal with extended clutch and throttle cables plus an extended brake line. Again this is not cheap in Oz. I had a custom brake line made up for my forward controls and it cost a bit because I had to buy a stock Honda line to get the fitting off and then my local Enz guy made up a new line.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I bought a set of 6" risers from J&P, and bought a piece of 1" 304 stainless. I cut and welded the bars in the position I wanted. Stock cable length was fine, however I wanted to delete the speedo. The total cost was about $150. Mounting the speedometer is nothing more than adding a mounting plate to the bars between the risers.
IMG_20210102_141652595.jpg
IMG_20201205_144411063.jpg

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I bought a set of 6" risers from J&P, and bought a piece of 1" 304 stainless. I cut and welded the bars in the position I wanted. Stock cable length was fine, however I wanted to delete the speedo. The total cost was about $150. Mounting the speedometer is nothing more than adding a mounting plate to the bars between the risers. View attachment 239282 View attachment 239283
You folks in the US have a lot more freedom when it comes to doing things like removing the indicators and speedo. Here in Oz that is guaranteed to get you some big fines and a defect notice. If you get a defect you have to put your bike back to stock and have it reinspected. Thing is you can't ride to get it inspected after you put everything back because it has been defected, so you have to put it on a trailer and tow it for inspection. Better not to draw the attention of the cops in the first place.

·
Registered
552 Posts
You folks in the US have a lot more freedom when it comes to doing things like removing the indicators and speedo. Here in Oz that is guaranteed to get you some big fines and a defect notice. If you get a defect you have to put your bike back to stock and have it reinspected. Thing is you can't ride to get it inspected after you put everything back because it has been defected, so you have to put it on a trailer and tow it for inspection. Better not to draw the attention of the cops in the first place.
Honestly, the area I live, if you do the speed limit, you will never get pulled over.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Honestly, the area I live, if you do the speed limit, you will never get pulled over.
We get pulled up all the time for random breath testing and while they see if you have more than .05 blood alcohol they run your licence and rego. If you are on a bike they often check the bike for "defects". I've had the cops measure the distance between the rear indicators, put a steel rod into my exhaust to see if I have baffles, get me to rev the bike up to see if it's too loud and even look at the compliance plate to make sure the bike has ADR compliance.

I nearly got a defect for my spike air cleaner but the cop was so impressed that I customised my bike and kept the stock muffler and indicators that he let me off. Actually my muffler is stock but not stock, I have a US muffler which is different to the AU/EU/UK one (the US one is louder) but when the cop checked it had Honda stamped on it so he let it go. I live in Sydney so we have more cops than other parts of Oz all looking to make their quota.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Oh that came about one night out the back drinking and watching football with some mates. Pretty soon we all got hungry and had to fire up the BBQ. They were saying get something on the griller. Then I was called the griller.
Think I'll toss something on the smoker grill this weekend...now that you brought it up. It's the next best thing to do besides takin' the Fury out for a spin. Learned in the Navy that folks all around the USA/world cook up some fabulous bbq. Filipino pork skewers, Jamaican Jerk chicken, smoked turkey legs & pork shoulder/butt for pulled pork sandwiches, roast turkey, ribs, smoked chicken pieces w/Alabama White BBQ sauce...are my Go-To favorites.
Oklahoma Joe Smoker Grill.jpg Jamaican Jerk Chicken.jpg Pork butt _ turkey drumsticks.jpg Grilled turkey.jpg IMG_20191031_144139.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Think I'll toss something on the smoker grill this weekend...now that you brought it up. It's the next best thing to do besides takin' the Fury out for a spin. Learned in the Navy that folks all around the USA/world cook up some fabulous bbq. Filipino pork skewers, Jamaican Jerk chicken, smoked turkey legs & pork shoulder/butt for pulled pork sandwiches, roast turkey, ribs, smoked chicken pieces w/Alabama White BBQ sauce...are my Go-To favorites.
View attachment 239287 View attachment 239288 View attachment 239289 View attachment 239290 View attachment 239291
Dude that looks pretty good, if I was closer I'd say how about an invite and I'll bring some drinks, crank up the chili peppers on the speakers and kick back

·
Registered
552 Posts
Oh that came about one night out the back drinking and watching football with some mates. Pretty soon we all got hungry and had to fire up the BBQ. They were saying get something on the griller. Then I was called the griller.
I have a question for you, not sure if you can answer it. Australia has such strict emissions laws, how does Scotty Cox get by with building the custom bike that he does? There is nothing stock about any of his bikes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, not sure about that, would have to look into it and get an answer back to you.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Dude that looks pretty good, if I was closer I'd say how about an invite and I'll bring some drinks, crank up the chili peppers on the speakers and kick back
Whoa! Brought back some memories there, mate! They were the lead-in group for The Stones when they made their Voodoo Lounge Live video in Miami's Joe Robbie Stadium 25NOV94. Helluva concert. That was the first concert I went to since seeing Fleetwood Mac and Kenny Loggins in Norfolk, Virginia 11JUL77.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Whoa! Brought back some memories there, mate! They were the lead-in group for The Stones when they made their Voodoo Lounge Live video in Miami's Joe Robbie Stadium 25NOV94. Helluva concert. That was the first concert I went to since seeing Fleetwood Mac and Kenny Loggins in Norfolk, Virginia 11JUL77.
😂 oh man, ya gunna make an old man cry, just fantastic tunes. You must have had a great time

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I have a question for you, not sure if you can answer it. Australia has such strict emissions laws, how does Scotty Cox get by with building the custom bike that he does? There is nothing stock about any of his bikes.
I know this all to well as I am still building an old school bike in my garage, so here is a short rundown:
1) The bike is a limited custom but still has to comply with the ADR (Australian Design Rules).
2) The front axle can't be more than 55CM from the centre of the neck.
3) The bars can't be more than 38CM higher than the lowest point of the seat (no ape hangers obviously)
4) Headlight must have E4 marking and be for left side of the road use.
5) Indicators must be amber and have E4 marking.
6) Stop light must have E4 Marking and at least 38CM above the road. (I'll have to look the height up again but it's somenthing like that.
7) The mount for the number plate must be horizontal and make the plate visible for about 60 degrees off axis. (I'll need to double check the latest on that).
8) The frame must come from a recognised frame builder and have a MSO.
9) The engine must have a MSO
10) The brakes must meet ADRs.
11) The exhaust must meet ADRs.
12) The mirrors must be ADR compliant.
13) When finished the bike must be "engineered" by an engineer registered with the RTA/RMS/ Service NSW (in NSW, I don't know about other states).

So the engineer I have charges AU $4000 for his inspection. The bike still has to get another inspection to get a "blue slip" which double checks that the bike matches the engineers report before you can register the bike.

My engineer gave me a few tips:
A) Get a late model HD exhaust and make sure it's on when I inspect it. Also make sure you have a closed style air clean on for inspection.
B) Use the same brakes as another custom that has already been passed.
C) Make sure all your lights are E marked.
D) Make sure your bars are not above the limit.
E) Put some late model HD mirrors on.
F) Make sure your front end is not past the 55CM limit. (My front end turned out to be right on the limit but if it was not then I was going to use some 3 degree neck cups put in backwards to bring the front end back to be 55CM or less).

Once it gets through then you put the real exhaust, real bars and real lights on and be careful to avoid the cops. I have made some special baffles for my "real exhaust" to bring the noise down to a level that I can take. Should also fly under the cops radar, fingers crossed.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I know this all to well as I am still building an old school bike in my garage, so here is a short rundown:
1) The bike is a limited custom but still has to comply with the ADR (Australian Design Rules).
2) The front axle can't be more than 55CM from the centre of the neck.
3) The bars can't be more than 38CM higher than the lowest point of the seat (no ape hangers obviously)
4) Headlight must have E4 marking and be for left side of the road use.
5) Indicators must be amber and have E4 marking.
6) Stop light must have E4 Marking and at least 38CM above the road. (I'll have to look the height up again but it's somenthing like that.
7) The mount for the number plate must be horizontal and make the plate visible for about 60 degrees off axis. (I'll need to double check the latest on that).
8) The frame must come from a recognised frame builder and have a MSO.
9) The engine must have a MSO
10) The brakes must meet ADRs.
11) The exhaust must meet ADRs.
12) The mirrors must be ADR compliant.
13) When finished the bike must be "engineered" by an engineer registered with the RTA/RMS/ Service NSW (in NSW, I don't know about other states).

So the engineer I have charges AU $4000 for his inspection. The bike still has to get another inspection to get a "blue slip" which double checks that the bike matches the engineers report before you can register the bike.

My engineer gave me a few tips:
A) Get a late model HD exhaust and make sure it's on when I inspect it. Also make sure you have a closed style air clean on for inspection.
B) Use the same brakes as another custom that has already been passed.
C) Make sure all your lights are E marked.
D) Make sure your bars are not above the limit.
E) Put some late model HD mirrors on.
F) Make sure your front end is not past the 55CM limit. (My front end turned out to be right on the limit but if it was not then I was going to use some 3 degree neck cups put in backwards to bring the front end back to be 55CM or less).

Once it gets through then you put the real exhaust, real bars and real lights on and be careful to avoid the cops. I have made some special baffles for my "real exhaust" to bring the noise down to a level that I can take. Should also fly under the cops radar, fingers crossed.
Best of luck

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I forgot, Scotty closed down quite a while ago. He could not find enough buyers to keep him in business.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts