Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,712 Posts
I was kinda' the same way. I hadn't ridden in about 14 years and then I got this Fury. It turns a bit different than my old V65 Magna. Took a few turns too wide at first, but I'm lovin' this bike more and more. :D
Yeah, it's a little different for sure. I've turned too wide sometimes...particularly when going slow....but you'll get used to it and it is a fun ride....

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Started the same

Brand new Fury owner, haven't riden in years and to be honest I am a bit inimidated. Taking it very slow.
I had a hard time with sharp left turns, went real wide, and real slow. Now 10 months later, I really started feeling more sure, I lean harder than I might with a different bike, and its help cut my turn radius.

Check out the Friction Zone thread or youtube it. There are some points to remember and practice! It really helped me.IMO!

Keep the rubber side down...:cool:

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Brand new Fury owner, haven't riden in years and to be honest I am a bit inimidated. Taking it very slow.
fredmartello;

Welcome to the forum and be assured that the ole "bicycle principle" will kick in; once you've ridden one, you never forget how. Just take it slow at first, and try to spend some time on lightly-trafficed backroads, where you can concentrate on the machine and how it's reacting to your various inputs. Avoid heavy, rush-hour traffic at first; it can be very intimidating while you're still trying to get things sorted-out. It'll all come back quickly. Enjoy, and try not to grin and laugh too much; other drivers around you will wonder..........

Cheers

·
Premium Member
4,750 Posts
Well I had never really rode until this past September and all I did was take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation approved course, for one it will refresh you on the things that you used to do and second it will give you new ways of doing things and looking at things while riding. I am fortunate with being a soldier and received this two day course for free, but in the local area I believe the class was 200-250 for the same two day course and at the end of the second day we took the riding and written test and if you passed you take your certificate to take to the DMV and could get your license, regardless if you need the class or not to get your license I think it would help you get your riding legs back under you and give you the confidence that you need to ride safely.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Well I had never really rode until this past September and all I did was take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation approved course, for one it will refresh you on the things that you used to do and second it will give you new ways of doing things and looking at things while riding. I am fortunate with being a soldier and received this two day course for free, but in the local area I believe the class was 200-250 for the same two day course and at the end of the second day we took the riding and written test and if you passed you take your certificate to take to the DMV and could get your license, regardless if you need the class or not to get your license I think it would help you get your riding legs back under you and give you the confidence that you need to ride safely.
safety courses are good, but you still should mess around with skills every now and then so finding a nice parkinglot, park, cemetary, or even a closed safety course are all good places to practice. Someone mentioned on here about tennis balls cut in 1/2 to act as cones which is kinda smart, I usually use reflectors in the road or other landmark type objects to manuver around

·
Registered
207 Posts
Getting use to the turning radius was a big thing for me as well. I took a lot of corners wide at first. After a few months of riding, I feel much more comfortable. Using the Friction Zone when making turns makes a world of difference. Check out the Friction Zone Tread. I'm sure it will come back to you.

·
Premium Member
4,750 Posts
safety courses are good, but you still should mess around with skills every now and then so finding a nice parkinglot, park, cemetary, or even a closed safety course are all good places to practice. Someone mentioned on here about tennis balls cut in 1/2 to act as cones which is kinda smart, I usually use reflectors in the road or other landmark type objects to manuver around
I agree that practicing and all of that is good, but after 14 years of not riding I would still suggest a safety course to start again, down side is that it costs, but then you make it up by getting back into things in a safe setting with the guidance of an instructor, plus you'll save money on insurance with having taken a safety course, to each there own I was just suggesting that after that long of not riding it wouldn't hurt to do a safety course.

·
Registered
249 Posts
When I bought my Fury last year, it had been 4 years since I'd last ridden. When I drove it off the lot, I was pretty damn intimidated myself......OK....I'll admit it. I was actually a little scared. It was about a 10 mile ride and I was never so glad to pull into my driveway. As the days and weeks went by I managed to fully regain my confidence. You will too. Have a blast!........and stay safe.

·
Premium Member
13,935 Posts
fredmartello;

Welcome to the forum and be assured that the ole "bicycle principle" will kick in; once you've ridden one, you never forget how. Just take it slow at first, and try to spend some time on lightly-trafficed backroads, where you can concentrate on the machine and how it's reacting to your various inputs. Avoid heavy, rush-hour traffic at first; it can be very intimidating while you're still trying to get things sorted-out. It'll all come back quickly. Enjoy, and try not to grin and laugh too much; other drivers around you will wonder..........

Cheers
lmao,listen to bar fury input.and pay attention to the laughing and grinning part.i just took point from mental and wear a mask.that way they dont think you are laughing at them and break out the road rage on you.good luck and ride safe.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.