Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm looking to swap my headlight bulb for something that matches the look of the LED accent lights in the OEM chin spoiler (more white than yellow)

I've heard that some bulbs which give that HID look can actually be worse than standard bulbs as far as illumination is concerned - not great in winter when it can get dark around four PM here in the UK.

Has anyone done this already & what works best as I'd prefer to be whiter & brighter? :confused:

Take care.

·
Registered
555 Posts
i went to my local auto parts store here in the states
and picked up a buld made by sylvania
called silverstar ultra

part # 9003/HB2 su

there was a book in the store near the auto bulbs
it listed it as a VTX 1300 2009

heres sylvania's web site
SilverStar® ULTRA

Real happy with mine and it only cost $24.
it bright enough to see it reflect off street signs in the day light

picked mine up at autozone store ....not sure if you have them in england ..

·
Registered
198 Posts
I bought an HID kit off another forum member and didn't like it at all. I went and bought sone silverstar zxe bulbs and couldn't be happier

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the recommendations guys.

The Sylvania's are marketed as Osram over here & I couldn't find any Silverstar Ultras :confused:

Anyway, I went for Philips Xtreme Vision which are a vast improvement over the stock bulb (whiter & brighter!)

A pal of mine uses Philips Diamond Vision (illegal for road use here) in his car and they look super-white but don't illuminate the road as well as the Xtreme's.

Take care.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
i went to my local auto parts store here in the states
and picked up a buld made by sylvania
called silverstar ultra

part # 9003/HB2 su

there was a book in the store near the auto bulbs
it listed it as a VTX 1300 2009

heres sylvania's web site
SilverStar® ULTRA

Real happy with mine and it only cost $24.
it bright enough to see it reflect off street signs in the day light

picked mine up at autozone store ....not sure if you have them in england ..
Is this a direct replacement bulb, was it hard to change?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Is this a direct replacement bulb, was it hard to change?
Direct replacement H4 bulb. Takes as long to open/close the housing to replace it.

Has a 'guaranteed' one year life span. Excellent visibility compared to the stock bulb. Almost as good as an unfocused HID.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Thank you for the information!

·
Registered
938 Posts
Do you have a link???

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you guys referring to the lites that look kinda blue? I like those, but I wanna light the road up too!
That's the dilema I had between style & function.

Some bulbs may claim to replicate the appearance of a true HID lamp (high intensity discharge) like those fitted to some high-end BMW's, Mercedes & Audi's but a simple bulb swap will leave you disappointed.

The bulbs will have a colour temperature rating (xxxx K), and is a measure of the 'whiteness' of the light emitted - it has nothing to do with the operating temperature of the bulb (ie how hot to the touch the bulb is). The lower the xxxx number is (say 3300K) the 'yellower' the light is, the higher the number (say 6000K) the 'bluer' the light will be, but the trade off is that the light output will appear to be less due to blue light being difficult to see by. Also because our eyes are more sensitive to the yellow end of the spectrum, a 50W blue bulb will appear dimmer than a 50W yellow bulb due to our eyes sensitivity. In wet conditions the water actually absorbs a lot of the blue light so the light output will appear even lower.
Note: The colour temperature of natural daylight at noon is between 5000-5500K.

So blue bulbs may look cool, but if you want to see where you are going and others to see you, avoid them like the plague!

HID (high intensity discharge) kits became illegal here in the UK, see here for further info:

Road safety - Department for Transport

The Philips Xtreme Vision are rated at 4000k which are whiter & brighter than the standard halogen bulb but may not last quite as long.

Take care.:cool:

·
Registered
818 Posts
Are you guys referring to the lites that look kinda blue? I like those, but I wanna light the road up too!
Yes. Bi-xenon bulbs (HID kits) are anywhere from 3x to 6x brighter than stock halogen bulbs.

The amount of brightness depends on the wattage of the bulb. The color of the light depends on the kelvins the bulb puts out. 4300K bright white, 6000k slightly blueish..., etc.

Most hid kits for motorcycles do not have a projector lense to focus the light. Because the bulb is so much longer and thicker than standard halogens, the stock headlight reflector housing doesn't focus the light beam properly. This results in a) the light blinding oncoming motorists, and b) the light is so dispersed, you can almost get the same result with the H4 Silverstar Ultra's (depending on which kit you're using).

K&T auto seem to have created an hid kit with a projector lense that fits the fury for about $85. Keep in mind that the fury doesn't have much to hide the ballast and relay that comes with an hid kit. You'll probably have to splice in wire extensions from the head light housing, along under the tank, and down to the battery where theres space.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I bought an HID kit off another forum member and didn't like it at all. I went and bought sone silverstar zxe bulbs and couldn't be happier
Hey there bud,
I'm not certain who you got your HID kit from, but I've had an HID on my bike since about a month after I purchased it and I will never go back to regular halogen bulbs. If you don't mind me asking what issues did you have with your HID? If you're interested in HID's again let me know, I have another kit for purchase. Just PM me.

This goes for anyone else looking for HID's. I have a 8k HID kit with the slim balist for sale.

Ride Safe...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Since I have bikes I always buy Philips H4 90/100 w.
It is the best I never seen.
Just need to put a relay to save stock switch and bigger wires !

One Time I listened a sailer and by two h4 made in japan for about 80 $ the two h4 :-(
He said they was the best of the word !...
One day later I come back to the sailer for refunding and buy two good old 90/100 w and a relay :))

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Just changed the stock bulb to the Silverstar ZXE, myself.
What a freakin' difference!!!!

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-SilverStar-Performance-Halogen-Headlight/dp/B005KDO9C2[/ame]

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Hey St PEte, Was it easy to change the buls? I mean, pop one out then pop the new one in?
Yes, as i found out the other day because my high beam was out. Turns out that i had an extra SilverStar from my car that matched.

Remove the 3 allen head bolts on the light housing. Front section pulls straight out. The head light assembly wiggles it way out. Disconnect the wire to the bulb. Remove rubber boot. Release wire spring that hold bulb inside the head light. Installation is the reverse. Make sure you dont touch the bulb with your hands, as the oil will cause premature failure in the bulb.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts