Honda Fury Forums: banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I just noticed my hi beam was out, and my lo beam still worked. Decided to replace with a sylvania silverstar ultra. I too had to pry the 3 prong connector off with a flat head. Cleaned it up, put it all back together, both hi and lo come on now, just have to see how it does at night.

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
It doesnt take up any room in the bucket... you have to open the actual headlight up (remove the glass from the chrome back) and stick it through the bulb opening... they have a locking ring that secures them in place... then you reseal your headlight and place your headlight bulb in the "new" opening (inside the projector housing) so if anything it may make the bulb sit a lil further back inside the bucket... hope this helps

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
BTW, did anyone ever end up getting the replacement LED headlamp that was brought up a while back?
Yes, I did . . . . . .
Installation is standard but as the reflector is made for a light source that emmits from a very small point the light loses its aim when coming from a large area. The led's are all over the "bulb" and not in the focal point of the reflector. It's beaming all over the place. :rolleyes: Very disappointed and went back to the regular H4. Waste of money IMO

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog

·
Registered
351 Posts
Yes, I did . . . . . .
Installation is standard but as the reflector is made for a light source that emmits from a very small point the light loses its aim when coming from a large area. The led's are all over the "bulb" and not in the focal point of the reflector. It's beaming all over the place. :rolleyes: Very disappointed and went back to the regular H4. Waste of money IMO
That sucks. Very disappointing. I wonder if they're made more for the projector housings to produce a good beam. I hope you were able to get your money back.

KB, thanks for the info. That does help. I thought the bulb would fit in to the very back of that housing.

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
It doesnt take up any room in the bucket... you have to open the actual headlight up (remove the glass from the chrome back) and stick it through the bulb opening... they have a locking ring that secures them in place... then you reseal your headlight and place your headlight bulb in the "new" opening (inside the projector housing) so if anything it may make the bulb sit a lil further back inside the bucket... hope this helps
Thats not 'made for it' its a custom piece and still shines through the stock diffuser, and a waste of money.

Yes, I did . . . . . .
Most eBay stuff will be poorly made and not DOT approved or even close to being usable. Sadly.

That sucks. Very disappointing. I wonder if they're made more for the projector housings to produce a good beam. I hope you were able to get your money back.

KB, thanks for the info. That does help. I thought the bulb would fit in to the very back of that housing.
Could be, but for the price the HID kit from DDM is the way to go. No i dont work for them, i just use two of their kits.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Most eBay stuff will be poorly made and not DOT approved or even close to being usable. Sadly.
Well, I got lucky on the stock looking blacked out taillight with built in turn signals, through Ebay from Hong Kong. The signals light up amber and use half of the taillight and are highly visible in bright daylight. Very happy with those:)
But, being a taillight, that's the other end of the story ;)

·
Registered
818 Posts
In summary,

Silverstar Ultra halogen bulbs or equivalent are an awesome upgrade over stock halogen bulbs. They do have a shorter lifespan thou.

HID xenon bulbs without a projector lense will give you a variety of results from crap, to the same as a Silverstar Ultra, to a little better. Your mileage will vary. Finding a place for the ballasts and the hilo switching can be a challenge based upon your wiring skills.

HID xenon bulbs with a projector lense require you to split the headlight housing apart, and reassemble, in order to install. But provide the best lighting available. Finding a place for the ballasts and the hilo switching can be a challenge based upon your wiring skills.

LED H4 replacement bulbs with multiple LED's are just crap. They keep the LED wattage low so that they don't have to cool them. None of the LED's produce enough light and are not focused at all.

LED bulbs with fan assemblies contain two superbright cree led's and a fan to keep them cool from burning out. The output from these are better than stock, but still only reach around 1200 or so lumens (effective on the road output). Just like HID projectors you'll need to split the housing in order to install, and find room for the ballast. To date, they still don't replace the effectiveness of HID's.

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
I know I have said it before... but... IMHO you simply can't beat the micro ballast HID's.... they put out a ton of light and there is no "challenge based upon your wiring skills" if you are smart enough to change the stock headlight bulb then there should be no issue.... there is no extending the wiring and mounting the ballast under the tank or seat or anywhere else that has been used... it all fits inside the headlight bucket where it belongs... bulb, ballast, relay harness for the HID high beam (which alot of guys with hid don't have) absolutely everything fits inside... I really don't know why anyone would go to all of the trouble of all that extra work instead of just buying what fits... but oh well, to each their own right

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
The only thing that could make this better would be if someone could find a crystal clear (no diffuser) lens to fit our headlight and then install one of those projector assemblies inside. Then the HID conversion would be perfect.
As in a crystal clear circular cut, flat piece of plexiglass or Lexan ?
Now that could not be that difficult to cut, could it ?

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Kbuskill, can you give us a link to that HID you are talking about??

·
Registered
6,193 Posts

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
In summary,

Silverstar Ultra halogen bulbs or equivalent are an awesome upgrade over stock halogen bulbs. They do have a shorter lifespan thou.

HID xenon bulbs without a projector lense will give you a variety of results from crap, to the same as a Silverstar Ultra, to a little better. Your mileage will vary. Finding a place for the ballasts and the hilo switching can be a challenge based upon your wiring skills.

HID xenon bulbs with a projector lense require you to split the headlight housing apart, and reassemble, in order to install. But provide the best lighting available. Finding a place for the ballasts and the hilo switching can be a challenge based upon your wiring skills.

LED H4 replacement bulbs with multiple LED's are just crap. They keep the LED wattage low so that they don't have to cool them. None of the LED's produce enough light and are not focused at all.

LED bulbs with fan assemblies contain two superbright cree led's and a fan to keep them cool from burning out. The output from these are better than stock, but still only reach around 1200 or so lumens (effective on the road output). Just like HID projectors you'll need to split the housing in order to install, and find room for the ballast. To date, they still don't replace the effectiveness of HID's.
I dont know where get that putting an H4 HID bulb does anything to the dispersion pattern of the headlight bucket other than double the light output. The ONLY LED bulb I've seen that impressed me was on my friends new 2015 WRX, but those prob cost a hundred a piece to replace.

Yep.. here you go...

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=280907505857&alt=web

I bought the kit with 2 bulbs and 2 ballasts and wiring... I put 1 in my Fury and 1 in my buddies Road King... we split the cost so it was only about $30 a piece or you could keep the other set for a spare.

Last time I posted this link I caught Hell for it... lol...:D
Nah, ill let you go, for now lol. The only reason I 'push' DDM is they are little known on boards like this and you get a lifetime warranty for a good price. Plus a lot of people simply dont know you can use 'car parts' on a motorcycle lol.

Also the multiquote didn't work right on my phone...on the Lexan vs. Plexiglas post, I'm sure it would hold up fine, just use 1/4" and you should be ok.

·
Premium Member
1,617 Posts
I know I have said it before... but... IMHO you simply can't beat the micro ballast HID's.... they put out a ton of light and there is no "challenge based upon your wiring skills" if you are smart enough to change the stock headlight bulb then there should be no issue.... there is no extending the wiring and mounting the ballast under the tank or seat or anywhere else that has been used... it all fits inside the headlight bucket where it belongs... bulb, ballast, relay harness for the HID high beam (which alot of guys with hid don't have) absolutely everything fits inside... I really don't know why anyone would go to all of the trouble of all that extra work instead of just buying what fits... but oh well, to each their own right
Had a HID set up,
Had trouble hiding the ballast and the box igniter,
Has this system just got the micro ballast to operate the H4 hi/lo with no extra things to hide?,if so I'm interested in this system

21 - 40 of 57 Posts