Honda Fury Forums: banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I thought about you tunnel rats, infantry, and the river boat runners whenever our 5" guns let loose their thunder. We couldn't see the target(s) from the ship..."I sure hope nobody screwed up sending us strike coordinates." I recently had the pleasure of chatting with a pilot of one of those planes Danny Glover flew in BAT-21. Thankfully, they had their shit together. A salute of respect for all you who were in-country. May those who never made it back home and those who passed on afterwards due to the effects of that and subsequent wars rest in peace.
View attachment 240674

It got "freaky" a few times on the sub...There's some things you never want to hear aboard a submarine:
When we were getting ready to leave Italy and head up to Bremerhaven, Germany we got word that a few Russian trawlers were waiting to track us just outside the Strait of Gibraltar. So, instead of passing through the strait on the surface like we did on our way in, we remained submerged and exited the Med directly beneath one of those gigantic super-tankers. The sound of that tankers "wheels" sloshing through the water was so loud you'd swear the blades of one of those huge props were about to slice right through the skin of our boat. That'll get your attention!
On the way to Germany we received a radio message that redirected us to Holy Loch, Scotland to pick up new written orders. They didn't want them going out over the electronic airwaves. Russia was launching a new aircraft carrier. Since the Nautilus was the only US sub with a noise "signature" identical to a Russian Foxtrot Class submarine, we got elected to sneak in amongst the carrier's defense squadron and take photos of the it through the periscope. Oh, joy! Hearing the "pings" from multiple enemy surface combatants' sonar units piercing the hull..."Oh shit!" We got the hell outta Dodge City and hid "under the ice" for a couple of days. On my way to the Mess Deck after watch, as I was passing by the Conn the Officer of the Watch saw me, "Heesen, want to see something cool?" Sure! He pointed to the periscope's eyepiece and said, "Have a look." He had the mirrors in the scope positioned for an up angle view. I got to see what the underside of the Arctic ice looked like. Not many people in the world can say that.
And, the one thing you NEVER EVER want to hear while cruising along at 625 feet below the surface is the loud sound of the klaxon going off:
"Aah-Ooh-Gah! Aah-Ooh-Gah! JAMMED DIVE! JAMMED DIVE! This is NOT a drill! I repeat! This is NOT a drill! JAMMED DIVE! Aah-Ooh-Gah!"
That my brother is EXACTLY why I would never get near a submarine.

You can put me in total dakness deep underground, you can drop me from huey in to a hot LZ you can put me in a FOB being over run but dont EVER ask me to get in that tin can !!!
NO Fin WAY......PERIOD.

MY dad was a machinest mate 1st class at Iwo Jima, Sipan and Guadacanal.
While jap kamkazi planes flew in to the side of battleships he hung from a scaffold welding plates on the side to keep it afloat

That my friend is a real hero. Took huge balls to do that with no way to defend himself.
So compared to him I was just a big chicken shit. He recieved any recogniction for that

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·

You can put me in total dakness deep underground, you can drop me from huey in to a hot LZ you can put me in a FOB being over run but dont EVER ask me to get in that tin can !!!
NO Fin WAY......PERIOD.

MY dad was a machinest mate 1st class at Iwo Jima, Sipan and Guadacanal.
While jap kamkazi planes flew in to the side of battleships he hung from a scaffold welding plates on the side to keep it afloat

That my friend is a real hero. Took huge balls to do that with no way to defend himself.
So compared to him I was just a big chicken shit. He recieved any recogniction for that
No he did not !!!!

·
Registered
494 Posts
No he did not !!!!

You can put me in total darkness deep underground, you can drop me from Huey in to a hot LZ you can put me in a FOB being over run but don't EVER ask me to get in that tin can !!!
NO Fin WAY......PERIOD.

MY dad was a machinist mate 1st class at Iwo Jima, Sipan and Guadalcanal.
While Jap kamikaze planes flew in to the side of battleships he hung from a scaffold welding plates on the side to keep it afloat

So compared to him I was just a big chicken shit. He received any recognition for that

You can put me in total darkness deep underground, you can drop me from Huey in to a hot LZ you can put me in a FOB being over run but don't EVER ask me to get in that tin can !!!
NO Fin WAY......PERIOD.

MY dad was a machinist mate 1st class at Iwo Jima, Sipan and Guadalcanal.
While Jap kamikaze planes flew in to the side of battleships he hung from a scaffold welding plates on the side to keep it afloat

So compared to him I was just a big chicken shit. He didn't received any recognition for that.
I, too, was a Machinist's Mate. There are many different job classifications in that rate. I started out in the nuclear program but got kicked out the day before graduating Nuclear Power School. I failed the Reactor Principles course by .001 of a point. My own fault, I suppose. The RP prof, a dorky ensign, caught me mimicking him in the front of the classroom the day before the final exam. Apparently, he didn't find my act as humorous as my classmates did. I wouldn't realize it until later, but he did me a huge favor.
On my first ship, I initially got assigned to the Repair Dept. and worked in the A-Gang (Auxiliary-AC&R, air compressors, and hydraulics). That's probably the department your dad worked in. Plumbers, welders, electricians, diesel mechanics, fire fighters, and lathe operators also worked in Repair. "Whatever it takes, don't quit until the job's done." We called that, "Automatic Mode." I, later, got transferred to the Engineering Dept. and worked down in the 1200 psi steam turbine engineroom...hot 'n sweaty. Guess that's one of the reasons I prefer Florida over Massachusets...hated shoveling snow growing up.

Trust me, I seriously weighed the potential hazards of volunteering for submarines. Definitely better odds of survival than a tunnel-rat or infantry soldier over in Vietnam, and, I wasn't claustrophobic. That "Jammed Dive" was caused by one of the Midshipmen still attending Annapolis who were aboard for their 10 day indoctrination cruise. He didn't follow the instructions on how to shift the operational mode of the hydraulic control valve for the stern planes. The watch station isn't all that difficult. Most of the time it's one of the first positions an E-2 or 3 had to stand. He got it stuck in the "Vent" position, relieving all the hydraulic pressure required to move the planes. They're large hollow "rudders" filled w/synthetic concrete to prevent collapsing in under sea pressure while submerged. They're extremely heavy so without any hydraulic fluid pressure holdong them in posistion, they dropped to the stops. Fortunately, the guy sitting behind him (Diving Officer of the Watch) was a salty, crusty, old diesel boat veteran Torpedoes Mate. He handled the situation and got us to the surface without pulling the "Chicken Switches"...(Last resort Emergency Blow switches that dump ALL available compressed air into the ballast tanks)...they only get pulled if the DOW's a scared chicken, or there's an uncontrollable emergency. There's no way that E-6 diesel submarine veteran was pulling them, he had the situation under control. If he did, we would have had to ride on the surface until the air compressor filled up all the air banks. Subs don't belong on the surface, they're always supposed to be out of sight. The Captain kicked all the midshipmen off the sub when we pulled into Palma de Mallorca instead of them staying aboard until we reached Naples, Italy. They all had to make another 10 day Qual Cruise...on a different sub...before graduating the academy.

The favor that dorky professor did for me...I preferred riding conventional destroyers (tin cans) over the nuclear powered sub a.k.a. "sewer-pipe" (So called due to the recycled, stagnant air and infrequent showers). The nuke guys on the sub were always on "6 On-6 Off" watches underway, and, if the sub wasn't going to be in port long enough to shut/cool down the reactor most of them had to stay aboard. Screw that! I wanted to see the places, meet the local women, eat the food, and drink the booze wherever we went. A lot of countries wouldn't permit a nuclear powered ship or sub to tie up at their docks back in those days. Conventional destroyers were allowed into more foreign liberty ports than the aircraft carriers, tankers, battleships, and submarines.

I did get to play quite a few games of chess with the "1975 All Navy Chess Champion" while aboard Nautilus. Yes, he was one of the brainiac "nukes". I never did beat him, but I did end up stale-mating him quite a few times. One time he was playing six of us at the same time! Wicked smart electronics dude.

Anyway...Peace, my brother! We did what we did and have our Fury's to help us deal with our PTSD. Keep the rubber on the road and your head on a swivel. Watch out for those texting cagers!

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
I had been looking at a fury for about 10 years I guess since they 1st came out and and I was off and on about it because because I used to have Harley's and a big dog.

Then I came across this one and I just could not help myself.. It's a 2010 garage kept 1 owner with 6000 miles on it. So even at 70 years old I just caved because to me it is the sweetest looking Honda I had ever seen
I hope that after riding since 1964 someday I can contribute a little and Im sure I can learn a lot about my Fury from all the knowledgeable members here View attachment 240651

21 - 25 of 25 Posts