Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'll probably be slammed but i'll ask anyways... whats ya'lls experience between 1/2 face and beanie style skullcaps?

even though i'm 35, my mom still rides me for not wearing a helmet with my fury, and rightfully so. my dads been in a few wrecks, most recently broke his collar bone 2 yrs ago racing his 1800vtx around curves, so she's got a right to be on me. arguably i inherited his passion, but not his fearlessness since i ride more cautious. besides its just so freakin humid and hot down here in houston, and i typically ride on country roads, and so on... excuse after excuse. i'm not in the crowd trying to look "cool", i just like to be comfortable w/o sweatin in the summers.

anyways with all the helmet talk and reading mrbbonez post last year, i'm looking between these and was wondering ya'lls opinions with your experiences before i buy:

the trooper

b!tch black

they're both dot approved, but smallest dot possible by their statements.

·
Registered
560 Posts
i'll probably be slammed but i'll ask anyways... whats ya'lls experience between 1/2 face and beanie style skullcaps?

even though i'm 35, my mom still rides me for not wearing a helmet with my fury, and rightfully so. my dads been in a few wrecks, most recently broke his collar bone 2 yrs ago racing his 1800vtx around curves, so she's got a right to be on me. arguably i inherited his passion, but not his fearlessness since i ride more cautious. besides its just so freakin humid and hot down here in houston, and i typically ride on country roads, and so on... excuse after excuse. i'm not in the crowd trying to look "cool", i just like to be comfortable w/o sweatin in the summers.

anyways with all the helmet talk and reading mrbbonez post last year, i'm looking between these and was wondering ya'lls opinions with your experiences before i buy:

the trooper

b!tch black

they're both dot approved, but smallest dot possible by their statements.
imo they look like non dot. i may be wrong but they look a little thin. I have a real carbon fiber daytona helmet. i dont have 1 complaint about it. its non dot but pretty well padded.

Eagle - Grey Carbon Fiber

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I really think the best thing to do for helmets is find a big bike shop and try them on. Every brand will fit different and its hard to fin one you like from pictures.

·
Registered
970 Posts
If its DOT its gonna be big. Buya non DOT if its just to make her happy my mom and kids ride my butt so I got a non DOT they feel im safer and it looks cool to boot.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I really think the best thing to do for helmets is find a big bike shop and try them on. Every brand will fit different and its hard to fin one you like from pictures.
This is so true. What looked good on my co-worker looks silly on me. Try and try them on in person. If not, Jafram you can order and then return at their cost if you dont like the way the lid fits.

·
Super Moderator
6,731 Posts
I just bought a novelty German helmet at the Columbus bike show that I attended with ohiofury69 and NMUCat. I have yet to wear it on a ride. Kinda like, what’s the use; it’s not going to do me any good. Unfortunately, it’s been cold enough that a full face helmet has been required.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
actually trying them on was my first choice too... but unfortunately honda, hd, and another bike shop did have any skullcap styles that i was looking for. hd only had hd so i definitely wasn't going that route. the others only had full face or 1/2. i asked all the shops could they recommend me to a place locally and none of them knew a place... i couldn't believe it the size of houston is.

thanks for the info and i'll keep looking and asking around locally... gotta love moms (and their cooking).

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Back in 68 I had a car pull out in front of me and I hit it doing 60mph. At the time I was wearing $120.00 Bell helmit. I put a 3" gash in the top of it approximatley 1/4" deep. I'm here today because I was thinking safty instead of style. Here in Michigan it's a law we have to wear them. Even if I was given a choice though, I still would wear one. There are just to many drivers out there that don't give a rats A-- about us cyclist! Just one mans opinion

·
Registered
470 Posts
actually trying them on was my first choice too... but unfortunately honda, hd, and another bike shop did have any skullcap styles that i was looking for. hd only had hd so i definitely wasn't going that route. the others only had full face or 1/2. i asked all the shops could they recommend me to a place locally and none of them knew a place... i couldn't believe it the size of houston is.

thanks for the info and i'll keep looking and asking around locally... gotta love moms (and their cooking).
check these out

Skull Skeleton DEATH Red Fullface Helmet - Motorcycle Retro Helmets

·
Registered
470 Posts
no i wouldn't wear on of these, i thought mountain was looking for a "skull"
look. you're right no protection, just scare the kid in the car next to you.:eek:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts