Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!
So I just got a HJC full face helmet it feels a bit tight, a little more than snug. According to the sizing chart my head measures a bit under what's recommended.
So wondering how much it will break in. I was told at a cycle gear store once broken in it will. Go down about 1/2 size... honestly it seems I am stuck between a medium and large... almost tempted to order the large and see. Can always be returned but rather not out lay more $.

·
Registered
894 Posts
The number one thing to look for when wearing the helmet is pressure around the head. As long as your forehead and back of the head are comfortable, you should be ok. It should feel like wearing a baseball cap. Wear the helmet for at least 30 mins. If you start getting headaches or pain from the pressure around your head, the helmet is too small. (Or maybe the wrong oval shape...)

Now the cheeks are another thing. You will feel like a squashed up chipmunk. The cheek pads are made to break in to the shape of your individual face. It takes 20 hours of wearing to do this. A quick way to break them in before you ride is to wear the helmet for hours around the house each day. Once broken in they'll relax about 30 to 40%. Some higher end helmets have removable cheek pads that you can swap out for thinner or thicker pads as needed.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Many of us have a particular brand that fits us. I only buy Arai as it’s shaped for my noggin. I recently had to kind of teach my GF how to buy a helmet & we had one miss yet once you have had a bad fitting helmet you will easily know what a good fitting helmet will feel like once you put it on. Personally I don’t go for the ‘break in’ story. It’s rather subjective I feel …a helmet that is suited for your head shape is immediately comfortable when you try it on & its sized appropriately. Big big diff in fitment between brands

·
Super Moderator
6,136 Posts
Many of us have a particular brand that fits us. I only buy Arai as it’s shaped for my noggin. I recently had to kind of teach my GF how to buy a helmet & we had one miss yet once you have had a bad fitting helmet you will easily know what a good fitting helmet will feel like once you put it on. Personally I don’t go for the ‘break in’ story. It’s rather subjective I feel …a helmet that is suited for your head shape is immediately comfortable when you try it on & its sized appropriately. Big big diff in fitment between brands
I find HJC to fit my head the best and Arai to be plain uncomfortable. It's just different head shapes and no reflection on the quality of either helmet. A good fitting helmet has some level of break in but a bad fitting one will never break in to be comfortable. The most critical part of any helmet is one that fits correctly, more important than price or features, that assumes that the helmet meets recognised safety standards.

·
Administrator
3,967 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
HJC has been in this business for more than 45 years and they make superior and formidable helmets for riders all over the world. For a company that helps in assisting riders with a better riding experience, you must have bought your helmet with complete measurements, you can contact them if this was a mistake from their side and they sent you the wrong sized helmet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts