Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking for a half helmet for 2 weeks now and every time i try one on it makes me look like a mushroom head. Have found some nice helmets online, but afraid of what its gonna look like once i get it. You guys have any favs maybe some pictures. And also do you guys like designs on the helmet or like them plain.

· Registered
438 Posts
You might want to focus on which helmet is the safest, instead of the looks?

For instance :

Here

and

Here

I for one, don't have a "chopper" helmet, I've got a Arai Chaser. This one, except without the uk flag on the front. (Got this helm at a time I didnt know that I was going to buy a chopper)

I really like how a chopper helm looks like, but I don't like the fact that it hardly protects you in case of an accident.

Good luck and drive safe!

· Premium Member
4,750 Posts
Search for Skid Lid they are a nice helmet and the ones my friends have don't make them look like they have the dreaded mushroom head. I had purchased mine before I knew about them or that's what I would have gotten, and you can find them pretty cheap, forgot where I seen it but found one for $40 the other day.

· Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info Kiowa and also for the wise safe driving tips from the others.

you would think, since i work at a hospital, I would ride around town wrapped in bubble wrap.

· Registered
2,152 Posts
If you're young and in the breeding pool, or already have a wife and young kids at home, the law should REQUIRE that you wear an approved, full-face helmet, since the vast majority of motorcycle fatalities arise from head injuries, and most involve younger, and/or less experienced riders. Now, if you're one of the more senior-citizen types (like me) with no pre-adult dependent kids (like me), AND you have REALLY good accident, life, and medical insurance (like me), so that society won't have to cover ANY of the costs associated with your crashes, including unemployment/disabilty, then feel free to wear whatever minimal coverage/minimal protection helmet you can legally get away with (like me). I just don't want to have to pick up the tab (increased insurance rates and taxes) to cover your sorry, young ass when you splatter yourself out on the road and leave your family destitute. Do you read me?

Cheers

· Super Moderator
6,554 Posts
Go for a full face helmet as they are way way safer. Who really cares about the "look" you can't see yourself when you're on the bike anyway.

I have a simple rule, if I don't have all my gear on (leather jacket,leather pants, leather gloves, boots & helmet) I don't get on the bike.

· Registered
3,391 Posts
I have a skid lid. It makes me look like a mushroom head. I just measured it and it is
2in in the front and back and 1 3/4 on the sides. It is thick. What kind of helmet does RSS have. It does not look very thick in some of his pics. I would not recommend the skid lid if your going for the non mushroom look.

· Premium Member
4,750 Posts
Well that's weird that you think it gives you the mushroom head, I know the couple that I seen on the guys I work with don't look like it. I'm going to look around when I get back and try to find one locally, if not then I'm going to order one as I like that they have the non padded straps, the helmet I have is padded on the side and I don't really need them padded as most of my riding is back and forth to work. Anyways, keep us posted on what you come up with.

· Premium Member
6,715 Posts
I have a skid lid. It makes me look like a mushroom head. I just measured it and it is
2in in the front and back and 1 3/4 on the sides. It is thick. What kind of helmet does RSS have. It does not look very thick in some of his pics. I would not recommend the skid lid if your going for the non mushroom look.
Sounds like we have the same hat. Works, but just doesn't look to cool.

· Registered
3,391 Posts
Sounds like we have the same hat. Works, but just doesn't look to cool.
I got the matte black.
It is the thinest DOT helmet I could find. It would actually look better if it came down just a little more in the back and sides. I think that's the problem, It's too short so you get the mushroom look.
I suppose it may not appear that way when your riding because there is some distance between you and drivers. I am going by what I see in the mirror two feet away. I have also seen it on other riders going down the road and it doesn't seem to look to bad. maybe it is all in my head, or on my head.:D
Sorry, bad joke.

· Registered
3,093 Posts
i have a 1/2 for sale here in our classifieds, cause it makes me look like shroom head. Im not sure as to what helmet i have now, but it makes me look like Paunch from CHIPS. LOL

I just recently bought a German style half lid from Jafrum.com .. but had to send it back today, as it too made me look like a shroom head. The same helmet, same size actually fits a friend from work very well, and hes twice my size. Im finding out that the fitment depends on how your head is shaped, not just the size. The German lid i just bought fit, but sat high on my head, not even covering my forehead. Back it goes, and my search continues for a cool looking half lid.

Oh yeah, i do have a full face, but use it on highway trips.

· Premium Member
3,448 Posts
I would love to look cool and wear a small helmet that goes with the chopper.

But, my wife and I have an arrangement. If I ride that bike--I wear the Shoei RF1000.

Now, my opthamolgist doesn't give a crap about my looks. He's concerned about the detached retina "I let happen" when I wasn't wearing the face shield on the interstate at 80mph.

You do what you think is best for you.
Don't listen to any of us; it's your life--your sight.

We'll still pat you on the back when you get a cool add-on.

You do what you think is best for you.

· Registered
1,152 Posts
Sorry to thread jack a little but skappiris do you get a loud wind buffering noise in from the back bottom edge of your helmet? I have a RF1000 and love it except for that fact. I have to wear ear plugs with my helmet on and it still drives my crazy but I dont have the problem when I ride without it. I might try a HJC helmet I have to see if it makes a difference.

· Registered
438 Posts
I always wear ear plugs. I've read that you will suffer ear damage as soon as you drive faster then 80kmh for 5minutes or longer. Even with the quietest helm on the market you willneed ear plugs.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.