Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
  1. So at about 10000 miles my fuel pump quit on me, warranty took care of it but when i got the bike back it idled way too high. I spent two whole days at the dealership and those idiots said they can't find anything and that its either i damaged the wire harness beating on the fuel pump or its internal and tbey would have to tear into it and bill me for it... I have since then "fixed" it by putting a spacer on the idle air control valve. Im wanting to reflash my ecu and want to make sure everything is working right when i do. What could be the problem? Bad IACV? Can I reset it? I didnt have the problem before the new fuel pump... any ideas?

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I would disconnect the battery for a bit and let it sit, start the bike, then let it idle until it's warm. If that doesn't work, there's a procedure in the manual to reset the control valve.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check out the link in my signature... it is for the ECU reflash thread BUT it has the manual reset procedure, including pictures and instructions from the service manual, for the IAC valve.
No luck yet, would probably help if i had that little specialty tool but ill live with my jumper. Hopefully i get it figured out tomorrow

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Successfully did the reset, it still idles way too high. No idea what the problem could be...
Did you perform the manual reset procedure on the IAC valve, by removing it and rotating the pintle on the valve clockwise until seated?

Have you actually checked the idle speed with a tachometer?

Is it possible that your throttle cable is not allowing the throttle to close all the way?

The only other thing I can think of would be if the coolant temperature sensor wasn't reading correctly which would make the ECU think it was still cold and keep the idle raised to try and warm up the engine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes i did do the reset, it still idles way too high. I put a spacer on the iacv and that drops it, it stil warms up with the spacer but it drops to where it should. Bad iacv?

·
Registered
12,514 Posts
Is it dirty? Mine started idling way too high a while back and I put some Sea Foam in the gas tank. The problem went away and hasn't come back since.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Its a small piece of hollow tubing that i put on the shaft. Ill take a picture when I get back to the house

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
  1. Theres the spacer. For some reason I'm trouble doing the IACV reset. Ive done it before but for some reason now i cant clear the dtcs...
  2. Do you have a picture of this spacer?... I'm having trouble envisioning exactly what you did.
  3. Do you have a picture of this spacer?... I'm having trouble envisioning exactly what

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
  1. Theres the spacer. For some reason I'm trouble doing the IACV reset. Ive done it before but for some reason now i cant clear the dtcs...
Its possible the spacer caused damage to the IAC valve by not allowing full range of motion and the motor trying to force past it.

I would try a new IAC valve and reset it according to the manual and then start the bike, while it's cold, and let it run without touching the throttle until the cooling fan turns on.

I'm not sure what else it could be at this point.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The thing is it was doing it before i put the spacer on. I successfully did the reset once, is the cooling fan supposed to come on during the reset process? Because it did. Now however i can't even get it to clear the DTCs and blink.

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
The thing is it was doing it before i put the spacer on. I successfully did the reset once, is the cooling fan supposed to come on during the reset process? Because it did. Now however i can't even get it to clear the DTCs and blink.
Yes, when the cooling fan turns on then you know that the bike is up to operating temperature and the idle should drop down to 930rpm +/- 100 rpm.

If the DTC won't clear then there is obviously a problem. The dealer could probably tell you more about it.

Or like I said, get a new IAC valve and see if that gets rid of the light and fixes the idle issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I meant is the cooling fan supposed to kick on when your doing the iacv reset, bike was cold and not running and the cooling fan kicked on

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
I meant is the cooling fan supposed to kick on when your doing the iacv reset, bike was cold and not running and the cooling fan kicked on
The cooling fan should never kick on when the key is OFF.

I assume you DID NOT have the key ON while manually resetting the IAC valve.

If you turned the key ON and the bike was COLD and the radiator fan turned ON then there is definitely a problem. The ECT sensor may not be reading accurately. It may think the bike is HOT when it isn't which would command the cooling fan to turn on.

·
Registered
12,514 Posts
The cooling fan should never kick on when the key is OFF.

I assume you DID NOT have the key ON while manually resetting the IAC valve.

If you turned the key ON and the bike was COLD and the radiator fan turned ON then there is definitely a problem. The ECT sensor may not be reading accurately. It may think the bike is HOT when it isn't which would command the cooling fan to turn on.
It'd sure help keep the engine cooler though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts