Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I left my lights on over night and of course in the morning she was dead. I jumped her and as soon as I disconnect the cables she dies. Anybody have a clue as to the problem here?

·
Registered
500 Posts
I left my lights on over night and of course in the morning she was dead. I jumped her and as soon as I disconnect the cables she dies. Anybody have a clue as to the problem here?
Not a battery expert by any means, but I've read that with a severely depleted battery sometimes it requires a slow-recharge (maybe even a trickle charge) over a period of hours to charge up enough for the battery to retain the charge. I'm NOT positive about this; hopefully someone else can help nail it down for you ...

·
Premium Member
5,712 Posts
Hopefully it's just your battery....but faceoff76 is right, a car battery is way too high in amps...my 82 Nighthawk had a dead battery and I tried jumping it with a car.....I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't charge and kept dying....I replaced the whole charging system and still had problems, traced the wiring and found a little solenoid in the wire (not a fuse) just beneath the gas tank....replaced it and everything was fine....must've blown it when I tried jumping the bike.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was concerned about the car battery, but I did try it in desperation (hoping to have it running before the wife found out). I used to do it on my old bike from time to time... but my old bike was not a fury and therefore would not react like one. I feel like a real f#@% face right now and I appreciate everyones intell.

·
Premium Member
2,480 Posts
You could have damaged your stator,if you jumped it off with a car.A car battery has way too many amps for a motorcycle.
Jumping off a car is fine as long as the car is not running.

The motorcycle starter will only draw the juice it needs. But if the car is running, the car's charging system will push a charge across the cables... not good.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Jumping off a car is fine as long as the car is not running.

The motorcycle starter will only draw the juice it needs. But if the car is running, the car's charging system will push a charge across the cables... not good.
+1....I've jumped my 4 wheeler several times with my truck battery and had no problems, as long as the engine is off, it's fine.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Hook a battery tender up to the bike. Keep mine plugged in in the garage. Gives me great piece of mind to know the battery will always have a full charge. Especially with all of the lights on the bike.

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
Hook a battery tender up to the bike. Keep mine plugged in in the garage. Gives me great piece of mind to know the battery will always have a full charge. Especially with all of the lights on the bike.
+1 both of mine are on tenders

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The car was not running. I hooked a tender up about 6 hours ago and the battery just now hit 25%. I will try it in the morning and hopefully its good. A new stator is 200 and change... I might have to fib for warranty coverage. Thanks all!

·
Registered
500 Posts
6V or 12V?

So which of the delmart battery tenders is best for bikes? 6v or 12v or doesn't it matter? Or BT jr. vs BT plus - can't really tell from reading which is optimum ...

I have an older 12v 10 amp automatic sears temperature-compensated automotive battery charger; shuts off completely when charge cutoff point is reaches; restarts when charge drops. Supposedly you can just leave it plugged in, but I never actually tried using it as a battery-tender, and haven't used it at all on my bikes - it's a good quality car-charger but not sure if it would help or hurt bike bats.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Not sure this either true or pertinent but the Fury has EFI and the battery probably needs to have enough charge in it to keep a steady flow of current to the control unit.

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
I have the Battery Tender on one bike, and bought a Scumacher at Farm and Home for the other, plus I move them to mower, 4 wheeler when not on bikes, they both seem to work fine, the Shumacher was about 1/2 as much money, you need a 12v.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts